Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by jbb93
Has anyone flown AA's Basic Economy product and credited to AY? These tickets book into 'B' fare class, which AY has listed as earning 100%, but I am curious if that is leftover from when B was a decent economy fare code.

So, any data points on whether AA BE fares earn AY points or not? Thanks!
All AA flights I have flown recently have given 100% points to AY. Just the way Finnair's point accrual table states. I haven't had the exact fare class you ask about, but all my discounted tickets have given 100%.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Since joint venture, AA has earned 100% minimum. But I think it is a valid concern that the earnings might be enhanced when AA introduces its Basic Economy fares on transatlantic routes.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Since joint venture, AA has earned 100% minimum. But I think it is a valid concern that the earnings might be enhanced when AA introduces its Basic Economy fares on transatlantic routes.
This is just a guess, but I don't think AA is going to introduce Basic Economy on TATL.

I think they won't go further than the North & Middle America and the Caribbean.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by aama
This is just a guess, but I don't think AA is going to introduce Basic Economy on TATL.

I think they won't go further than the North & Middle America and the Caribbean.
American is evaluating whether to start selling some kind of transatlantic basic economy / low-frills tickets. Probably something similar to Aer Lingus.

I think AY, BA & IB would probably start selling transatlantic basic economy tickets at the same time (because of JV).

https://skift.com/2017/08/29/america...res-to-europe/
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by miikkak
American is evaluating whether to start selling some kind of transatlantic basic economy / low-frills tickets. Probably something similar to Aer Lingus.

I think AY, BA & IB would probably start selling transatlantic basic economy tickets at the same time (because of JV).

https://skift.com/2017/08/29/america...res-to-europe/
I'm not sure that will change other JV operators' behaviour, though. The only one without any premium eco is AY. And only AA and BA offer First on their transatlantic flights. The products are thus not aligned by definition. Would the rates really need to be, either?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by remymartin
I'm not sure that will change other JV operators' behaviour, though. The only one without any premium eco is AY. And only AA and BA offer First on their transatlantic flights. The products are thus not aligned by definition. Would the rates really need to be, either?
Depends on implementation. Currently the base fares, change fees etc are the same regardless of marketing & operating carrier. Of course one option is that basic economy is offered only on routes with direct LCC competion (ARN-LAX etc).

The good thing is that DY offers free bag & seat selection if one travels on more than 18 DY flights / year. I don't think that AA & co can compete with DY by offering inferior product & charging more.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Currently possible to book weekend (Friday evening - Monday morning; longer trips work as well) J mileage runs from PRG to WAS / MIA for €1100 / €1300. Booking class I. Christmas and NYE work for WAS at €1200-ish, but not all the routes are on AY metal. Other dates are easy to get seated on AY via HEL.
May you wish to try another alliance, you have even better options to choose from.

Any double points promotion?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by on22cz
Currently possible to book weekend (Friday evening - Monday morning; longer trips work as well) J mileage runs from PRG to WAS / MIA for €1100 / €1300. Booking class I. Christmas and NYE work for WAS at €1200-ish, but not all the routes are on AY metal. Other dates are easy to get seated on AY via HEL.
May you wish to try another alliance, you have even better options to choose from.

Any double points promotion?
There is one right now! I tried to look around some possible dates, but all flights would be operated by BA. I have no desire to set my foot in their business class ever again, I hate it.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:10 pm

I thought the "current" one ended on 8th September (?). If you are searching on AY website, cut it in 4 legs via HEL - for me it helped to get AY metal. With just basic RT search, I could also see BA only.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by on22cz
I thought the "current" one ended on 8th September (?). If you are searching on AY website, cut it in 4 legs via HEL - for me it helped to get AY metal. With just basic RT search, I could also see BA only.
Registration period ended on September 8th. It needs to be flown before November 30th, but booked before -date was never revealed as the T&C were pointing to last April... Oh well, one can at least hope to get the points.

Ah, on a quick search couldn't see anything similarly priced if forced via HEL. I have to do some deeper digging into it.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The current 2x points promotion is NOT valid for booking class I, which is usually where cheap C books. And I can confirm, that I class posted only single points. (having 6 longhaul flights in the period in I )
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Does anyone have experience from 2017 is the T5->T2 airside transfer bus still up and running in ARN?

I mean T5 gate 10C -> T5 gate 61C where you press the button and bus will usually come within 10min. I broke my ankle 4 weeks ago and would not like to walk through the whole airport...
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:59 am

Yes, it's still running.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
There is also an additional T4->T5/T2 bus
https://www.swedavia.se/arlanda/nyhe...esa-smidigare/
Attached Images  

Last edited by intuition; Oct 6, 2017 at 7:33 am Reason: This is additional, not a replacement service
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
It was really easy and there is clear signage when you reach gate 10 area. Down the stairs to 10C there is a screen you press which tells you the amount of time bus will be there (max 10min). In my case it probably took 5min to get there + five min for the bus ride. Already in T2 Aurora Lounge sipping espresso waiting AY644 to take me home

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.