Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Kari Jurri
How risky is Bromma for immediate turnaround?
Close to Zero risk, transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and the will not start boarding (open the terminal door towards tarmac) before plane is empty. Choose seat from row 17 and you are at the gate before last pax from row1 has exited the plane
cistavoda and Kari Jurri like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Close to Zero risk, transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and the will not start boarding (open the terminal door towards tarmac) before plane is empty. Choose seat from row 17 and you are at the gate before last pax from row1 has exited the plane
Thanks! Didn’t know there is a transfer door.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Kari Jurri

Thanks! Didn’t know there is a transfer door.
It has not existed for long, it is in the expansion "wing". I'l be there next week so if I remember, can take a photo.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
It has not existed for long, it is in the expansion "wing". I'l be there next week so if I remember, can take a photo.
I took the transfer door in the hurry to get back to gate in time but then the plane turn was so slow that I could have exited to hall and go to lounge (landside)
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:48 am

From Stockholm to LAX starting at 210€.

https://www.lentodiilit.fi/2019/04/0...iin-210-euroa/
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
From Stockholm to LAX starting at 210€.

https://www.lentodiilit.fi/2019/04/0...iin-210-euroa/
Thanks for the tip! Booked for October. Paid 2697 SEK on AY.com. Glad to pay €50 extra so I don't have to worry about OTAs.

And the upgrade bot confirmed my upgrade both ways at 1 am from the waitlist. ^
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, EBG, FB Blue, Asante Platinum, AB Exec
Originally Posted by Finaviator
Hey! Newbie here I have booked ARN-HEL-LAX return trip starting with AY808 (dep 12:55) and was wondering if it would be smart to book the HEL-ARN leg on the AY807 (arr 12:20) or play it safe and book an earlier flight instead? Any risk of stand arrival and bus and would one be able to make it in that case? PS. Only carry-ons, no baggage.
Checked this with Finnair CIC and they said that they can't guarantee a check-in since there are two different bookings (HEL-ARN and ARN-HEL-LAX) so they said I should take the earlier flight instead :/ Any thoughts/comments?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:01 am

If, for any reason, AY wants you to visit the check-in desk at ARN, at the start of your journey to the US, then AY807 will be a problem because there will not be enough time. Otherwise, AY807 is safe. You walk out of the plane and back in. No stand arrivals at ARN. And if AY807 is late, so will AY808 be, too.

On the other hand, if for any reason AY807 is cancelled, so is AY808, too, and AY might put you on an earlier flight from ARN, which you will not make since you'll be in HEL because AY807 got cancelled...

There are risks either way, but they're small.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, EBG, FB Blue, Asante Platinum, AB Exec
Originally Posted by ffay005
If, for any reason, AY wants you to visit the check-in desk at ARN, at the start of your journey to the US, then AY807 will be a problem because there will not be enough time. Otherwise, AY807 is safe. You walk out of the plane and back in. No stand arrivals at ARN. And if AY807 is late, so will AY808 be, too.

On the other hand, if for any reason AY807 is cancelled, so is AY808, too, and AY might put you on an earlier flight from ARN, which you will not make since you'll be in HEL because AY807 got cancelled...

Maybe better to play it safe and book an earlier flight in that case and enjoy a drink at the lounge
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by ffay005

The risk related to visit to check-in desk is quite interesting, I will be soon trying this out so fingers crossed...well, luckily there is sufficient time to pull it off but surely the case for cancelling the flight is a risk.
But, could one mitigate it by visiting the check-in desk at HEL? There would be ample time before LAX departure?
Anyone having experience with such Schengen-Schengen-non-Schengen transits?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:18 am

Well, the risk should be quite small. If you fill in all the info on their website, OLCI shouldn’t be a problem. But if there’s anything wrong, there’s always the possibility that OLCI won’t issue a BP. And since there is no stopover at HEL, they are unlikely to issue a BP for ARN-HEL if you aren’t fit to fly HEL-LAX. I have no firsthand experience of such problems, though. If OLCI doesn’t work 24 hours before the flight, I’d show up early before my HEL-ARN flight and try to handle the issue at HEL. They are able to issue BPs for ARN-HEL-LAX at HEL.

What I’ve done in these cases is book HEL-ARN and ARN-HEL on day 1, with a few hours at ARN/STO, then overnight transit at HEL and long haul on day 2. It makes everything a lot more painless.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
In my opinion taking an earlier flight to ARN is the riskiest choice of all. Should that flight be delayed there is a chance that one misses the ARN-HEL flight which might still be on time and then the whole onward ticket is lost. Same-plane turnaround in ARN is foolproof as one is then not able to miss the first flight of the second ticket where the risk in these kind of itineraries lies.

Of course OLCI problems might bring difficulties but I would find it unlikely that AY agents at HEL before the HEL-ARN flight wouldn't be able to help in such situation. HEL has some of the best AY employees compared to contract staff at ARN.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by haapalainen
In my opinion taking an earlier flight to ARN is the riskiest choice of all. Should that flight be delayed there is a chance that one misses the ARN-HEL flight which might still be on time and then the whole onward ticket is lost. Same-plane turnaround in ARN is foolproof as one is then not able to miss the first flight of the second ticket where the risk in these kind of itineraries lies.

Of course OLCI problems might bring difficulties but I would find it unlikely that AY agents at HEL before the HEL-ARN flight wouldn't be able to help in such situation. HEL has some of the best AY employees compared to contract staff at ARN.
Can you do checkin for ex-ARN flight at HEL if you get SSSSed? The only time I haven't been able to check-in online for US-bound flight during the past 5 years was when I got SSSSed on SK flight.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I have done the ex-ARN to USA now 3 times already, once with immediate turnaround and twice with taking earlier SK or AY flight to ARN. Every time there has been no problems to check baggage in the morning at HEL for HEL-USA flight (you can also do this the evening before I think..)

In case the check-in for itinerary starting from ARN doesn't work at all (you will know this in well in advance!) I would plan few extra minutes at HEL in the morning to sort the issue out, I'm 100% sure that agents in HEL will have no problem to issue BP like suggested by previous posters. I have also once boarded a AY flight in ARN by just showing my drivers license as my phone died just few minutes before the gate

No personal experience but if you get SSSS'ed assume the additional security harassment will happen in HEL and no effect for ARN-HEL flight at all?

In case you are not going to travel the return flight to ARN, try to book it as overnight transfer ensuring now issues with checked luggage.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:07 am
np1

Originally Posted by Furry
I have done the ex-ARN to USA now 3 times already, once with immediate turnaround and twice with taking earlier SK or AY flight to ARN. Every time there has been no problems to check baggage in the morning at HEL for HEL-USA flight (you can also do this the evening before I think..)

In case the check-in for itinerary starting from ARN doesn't work at all (you will know this in well in advance!) I would plan few extra minutes at HEL in the morning to sort the issue out, I'm 100% sure that agents in HEL will have no problem to issue BP like suggested by previous posters. I have also once boarded a AY flight in ARN by just showing my drivers license as my phone died just few minutes before the gate

No personal experience but if you get SSSS'ed assume the additional security harassment will happen in HEL and no effect for ARN-HEL flight at all?

In case you are not going to travel the return flight to ARN, try to book it as overnight transfer ensuring now issues with checked luggage.
My most recent arn-hel-USA flight few weeks ago went well and those few SSSS (all the way from ARN) got their extra attention at the gate at HEL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.