Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by lkrt

CX Y runs are quite enjoyable indeed. I’m feeling a bit worried about their new 777 10-abreast config though. Which destination are you looking into?
I have not looked yet. No preferences other than a short run i.e. short stay at destination, as I dont have much time. Direct turn MR no no even if possible, since Y ticket
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:13 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by AlgoRhythmic
? How much better than 42 points per euro can you generally expect when looking for good MRs?
I believe LGG gets exited around twice that...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition
I believe he gets more excited about 2 MRs for price of one than double points
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:42 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
Direct turn MR no no even if possible, since Y ticket
Runner or a pure mass tourist!?! 🤪
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by intuition
Well, for twice that I would certainly get excited as well!

But how on earth do you find such good earnings?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:07 pm

Don't worry. 42p/euro is just fine. I can't really come up with any better either.
I suppose it is HKT that is the destination, slightly better then BKK. Might be DPS is pretty good too atm.

According to old reports about his plat-hunt I think LGG is more into cheap segments. 😉
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I'm worried to see OH-LGG's profile say AY Platinum. No Lumo anymore?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
Don't worry. 42p/euro is just fine. I can't really come up with any better either.
I suppose it is HKT that is the destination, slightly better then BKK. Might be DPS is pretty good too atm.
What can you get out of a LONE3 or LONE4 ticket? YVR-JFK-HKG-MLE-HKG-CTS-HKG-AKL-HKG-CDG or something, over 60k points.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Some person
What can you get out of a LONE3 or LONE4 ticket? YVR-JFK-HKG-MLE-HKG-CTS-HKG-AKL-HKG-CDG or something, over 60k points.
In Y? Musculoskeletal disorders.

Our recent Long Island trip made 51 points per € (with Platinum multiplier).
Mass tourism is funny, Living costs for one night in NY were more than this AY ticket so mass tourism must be avoided.

Originally Posted by ffay005
I'm worried to see OH-LGG's profile say AY Platinum. No Lumo anymore?
If I fall, I'm ready.

According to old reports about his plat-hunt I think LGG is more into cheap segments. 😉
It's true but if I see fantastic long haul deals, I'm in. Tier points for lifetime project are needed as well.

But one thing is probably changing, Long haul in Y..... I'm too old for that.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by esledo

Okay, thx. Wiki updated.
I'm thinking OSL should be changed to risky. Today AY911 had bus arrival. According to my friend (an OSL commuter) they have had bus arrivals a few times this winter. So it does happen. I don't know if you still can catch the return from a bus arrival.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: LH SEN
I don't know if you still can catch the return from a bus arrival.
I guess it depends whether the bus drops at baggage claim (=landside) or at airside?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:52 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
In Y? Musculoskeletal disorders.

But one thing is probably changing, Long haul in Y..... I'm too old for that.
Welcome to the old farts club 😁
OH-LGG, intuition and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by esledo
I guess it depends whether the bus drops at baggage claim (=landside) or at airside?
According to friends report. Airside, next to tax-free store. So turn around should still be possible. But I doubt it will comfortable. 😁
esledo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:00 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by AlgoRhythmic
Well, for twice that I would certainly get excited as well!

But how on earth do you find such good earnings?
Yeah mostly a joke. Even if LGG is able to find some 3-4 segment routes sub 50eur.

But sometimes normal routes offer nice points. A few years ago there was a offer for AMS-DEL at 899eur, so over 55p/eur.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:46 pm

Has anyone done an immediate turnaround at Tampere? The only thing similar I found on this thread was an immediate turnaround at Turku, but that was a while back and not sure if Turku has the same process as Tampere.
More specifically, I am doing AY 265 and AY 266, which has 20 minutes between STA and STD at Tampere..... I bought it as one ticket through Expedia, so I suppose it is do-able, or at least a legal connection? But just wondering about the logistics...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.