Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
Need to sell the house first...
😂😂 Sometimes it feels just like that 😁
ffay005 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Plan your 150 segments well, and you don't need a house.
ffay005 and on22cz like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
That is not the worst and I don't know how bad it really is. What made people really angry is the nearly no earning on Light tickets from December on. You get only up to 300 points plus status bonus instead of up to 4500 points plus bonus.

Compared to the cut in earnings on AA flights here we had it really calm here this year.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Jainzar
That is not the worst and I don't know how bad it really is. What made people really angry is the nearly no earning on Light tickets from December on. You get only up to 300 points plus status bonus instead of up to 4500 points plus bonus.

Compared to the cut in earnings on AA flights here we had it really calm here this year.

Atleast they could have done a 100% sttaus points and 300 redeemable but with the the SK system economy flyers Will be struggling to get status... perhaps J and PE flyers will be safe but most will not
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I don't know why people feel entitled to 100% points on a 65€ ticket ARN-CPH-HKG.

A true frequent flyer qualifies by segment, right? So noting really changed, they still only need 45 segments in a year.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by kauppias
SK system economy flyers Will be struggling to get status... perhaps J and PE flyers will be safe but most will not
Frequent Flyer tiers are based on struggling, pain and suffer.
ffay005 and jmmi like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Frequent Flyer tiers are based on struggling, pain and suffer.

Perhaps those segment runners yes but ai would venture to say most get Lumo with 200% J fares 😂😂

Getting to 90k via 300mile long hauls would suck 😂

I prefer the middle ground
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I don't know why people feel entitled to 100% points on a 65 ticket ARN-CPH-HKG.

A true frequent flyer qualifies by segment, right? So noting really changed, they still only need 45 segments in a year.
Where have you seen HKG for 65???

And SK has not given 100% in a long long time, but to drop from 4500 to 300 is a HUGE drop 😂

Its funny how J flyers tend to make such comments 😁
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:09 am

I don't know why people feel entitled to 100% points on a 65 ticket ARN-CPH-HKG.

Got me thinking, I wonder what your reaction would be if AY announced that I fares on AY would only earn 50% 😂😂 since its a discount fare why should they get full 200% 😜😂
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Ahoy mileage runners, I've just signed up to the AY+ status match/challenge for SK Eurobonus members: https://www.finnair.com/se/se/finnai...tier-challenge

Any tips for the fastest way to 40K points from Helsinki?
I think you inadvertently started something that evolved to a pretty negative discussion, but I'm sure you understand it's not your fault that many don't like what AY is doing in Scandinavia at the moment... We're just playing the game by the rules AY sets. However, what do the challenge rules say about being HEL-based? Isn't it only for Scandinavian residents?

Anyway, as you're based in HEL, your best bet is probably Value fares to DEL. See In the footsteps of the Delhi Deli: same-plane return to DEL & 20k points You can either start in HEL (earning 17600 points for a return as Silver) or start in whichever city is cheap atm (try PRG, BUD, WAW, RIX, TLL, ARN) and earn more points, but you of course need positioning flights, too. If you play well, two EUR-DEL runs will get you the Gold card.

Another option would be to hunt down a dirt-cheap J deal. They come and go, and ex-HEL, can be had for €1200–1300. But they don't come often and when they do, you'll likely be looking at getting a Chinese visa and spending a night in some secondary Chinese city.
intuition likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
And SK has not given 100% in a long long time, but to drop from 4500 to 300 is a HUGE drop ��
Actually on LH they were quite close to 100% and if you were EBG+ then you got more than 100% while on SH flying to Spain or Greece you were way below.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Where have you seen HKG for 65€???
It was an provocative and illustrative statement! But to be precise, there are the youth fares were earnings have been in this magnitude.

Got me thinking, I wonder what your reaction would be if AY announced that I fares on AY would only earn 50% ...
Check my stats and take a guess what I care...

But seriously, the comaprison with AY+ and I-fare is flawed. It is not about discounted fares, it is about the total strategy. SAS is more and more using the lowest price as strategy for Y in order to compete with LCC. In order to be able to do that, while being a HichCostCarrier, they need to cut all they can. Food, service, points, space, ... you name it.

There is just no way we are going to see lower and lower Y fares and still get fre bag, seat selection, food, drink, ...
We are likely to also see lowest Y fares even void all status perks too, just like BA has started to do. Light fares are not meant to be nice price bargains for frequent flyers. And I think you know this too
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Intuition, which airlines are you flying nowadays if you've left AY?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:31 pm

It was an provocative and illustrative statement! But to be precise, there are the youth fares were earnings have been in this magnitude.

Check my stats and take a guess what I care...

But seriously, the comaprison with AY+ and I-fare is flawed. It is not about discounted fares, it is about the total strategy. SAS is more and more using the lowest price as strategy for Y in order to compete with LCC. In order to be able to do that, while being a HichCostCarrier, they need to cut all they can. Food, service, points, space, ... you name it.

There is just no way we are going to see lower and lower Y fares and still get fre bag, seat selection, food, drink, ...
We are likely to also see lowest Y fares even void all status perks too, just like BA has started to do. Light fares are not meant to be nice price bargains for frequent flyers. And I think you know this too

As long as they offer a decent price Y with benefits then I would be fine with that. If they offer light at 100 and Y at 500 then thats a problem 😂

I dont fly Y if I can avoid it I just buy Prem Y but the cuts to service there have been huge too so I have stayed away there. AY Y is not that pleasant either and their J produxt is not priced nice 😂😂

So... 😁

I wont start on ba 😂😂
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:33 pm

Mines not as pretty 😁😂

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.