Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Jan 23, 19, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Oct 14, 15, 12:58 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Helsinki
Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Posts: 1,014
Originally Posted by FFlash
And I have problems understanding why some go boatrunning to STO for 5 hours

While on topic, you can also run to Rio for almost 30k points on AA who sell quite often cheap fares 600€ style, and get a nice vacation. Is it then a MR is your own business. With status you will get fairly OK seats too, layover in JFK depends
Rio is nice combined MR and vacation (worth it IMO) but doesn't work as pure MR destination. The cheapest AA fares to Latin America have normally 10 day minimum stay requirement.

Last edited by miikkak; Oct 14, 15 at 1:03 am
miikkak is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 1:43 am
  #92  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: AY, SK, TK
Posts: 7,218
Originally Posted by miikkak
RioThe cheapest AA fares to Latin America have normally 10 day minimum stay requirement.
Valid to point out that. And before someone asks if it is possible to upgrade AY legs operated by AY (such as HEL-JFK/MIA leg), the answer is no. I tried and used all imaginary persuasion techniques to no avail so I was left with eco comfort seat and MCE on AA (not too bad though).
If you are crediting and using AAdvantage, this might be a nice use of SWU's though
FFlash is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 2:28 am
  #93  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Posts: 618
Originally Posted by lkrt
VERY MUCH AGREED!
This trip I booked with Kilroy since the date wasn't for some reason bookable by any other OTA. It was 570 euros or so. Most of the other dates were on Supersaver, Travellink and Ebookers as well. Don't know what the current situation is but this was the situation in early August.

Yes, the booking class wasn't shown, but to my understanding, all these CX longhaul fares at approximately 500 euros are sold in L/M/H which is 100% on AY+. Of course, "no ought from is", but I'd be fairly confident they do book into L/M/H for now.
None of the normal OTAs show the price found in Matrix (~550 to Tokyo or Singapore via HKG on CX). Ebookers, Supersaver, Kilroy all sell those for 900+. Found Vayama and Cheapoair that do, but of course they don't show the booking class, either. But prob you are right, on the booking class being L,M or H. Funny enough, that Cheapoair shows the fare rules, but NOT showing the booking class.

Any of you having experience of using either of those OTAs?
Purjelentaja is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 6:21 am
  #94  
HJP
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Gold
Posts: 416
I am looking for a weekend MR for AA miles, I am HEL based and AY flights suit my plan well. Was happy to see that there are ex-ARN flights to LAX for ~550 and you have to stay in LAX for only 9 hours (Sat 2203 - Sun 0700). ARN-HEL-JFK-LAX-JFK-HEL-ARN (+ positioning HEL-ARN rt) will net a nice 15184 EQM on AA, available on AA-codeshare (excl. positioning) so this might be also good for AY Plus?

Any risk positioning with the same plane that starts the MR if travelling without checked luggage? Are they able to check you in for all flights at HEL if the ARN-HEL-JFK-LAX is AA-codeshare?
HJP is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 6:26 am
  #95  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HEL
Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Posts: 4,334
Originally Posted by HJP
I am looking for a weekend MR for AA miles, I am HEL based and AY flights suit my plan well. Was happy to see that there are ex-ARN flights to LAX for ~550 and you have to stay in LAX for only 9 hours (Sat 2203 - Sun 0700). ARN-HEL-JFK-LAX-JFK-HEL-ARN (+ positioning HEL-ARN rt) will net a nice 15184 EQM on AA, available on AA-codeshare (excl. positioning) so this might be also good for AY Plus?

Any risk positioning with the same plane that starts the MR if travelling without checked luggage? Are they able to check you in for all flights at HEL if the ARN-HEL-JFK-LAX is AA-codeshare?
Also take a look at AA STO-RIO/SAO for less than 600. ex HEL is also possible for about 150 more. Other destinations in South America also possible (but not north South America).
Gnopps is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 10:44 am
  #96  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 2,641
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
None of the normal OTAs show the price found in Matrix (~550 to Tokyo or Singapore via HKG on CX). Ebookers, Supersaver, Kilroy all sell those for 900+. Found Vayama and Cheapoair that do, but of course they don't show the booking class, either. But prob you are right, on the booking class being L,M or H. Funny enough, that Cheapoair shows the fare rules, but NOT showing the booking class.

Any of you having experience of using either of those OTAs?
This is a link to a Momondo search which should give you straight access to a number of OTAs to book a HEL-SIN fare for 470 euros or so. Other dates are available as well.
lkrt is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 1:19 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: HEL
Programs: AA plat
Posts: 84
Talking

Originally Posted by Gnopps
Also take a look at AA STO-RIO/SAO for less than 600. ex HEL is also possible for about 150 more. Other destinations in South America also possible (but not north South America).
Thanks for this excellent tip. I was able to book a weekend MR in November, HEL-CDG-GRU-CDG-HEL (AY, JJ - 14020 mi) for 560 and I get to see Brazil F1 race live!

Excellent for AA earnings (100%). Buzzing. Now if I only knew how to select TAM seat in advance.
delerium is offline  
Old Oct 14, 15, 11:54 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1L these days :)
Programs: AF Platinum Ultimate/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G//HH Dia/IHG Dia
Posts: 7,176
Originally Posted by delerium
Thanks for this excellent tip. I was able to book a weekend MR in November, HEL-CDG-GRU-CDG-HEL (AY, JJ - 14020 mi) for 560 and I get to see Brazil F1 race live!

Excellent for AA earnings (100%). Buzzing. Now if I only knew how to select TAM seat in advance.
You forgot to add the DFW leg between your CDGs to make it a uber run gives over 20k mileage then
kauppias is offline  
Old Oct 15, 15, 12:48 am
  #99  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: AY, SK, TK
Posts: 7,218
Originally Posted by delerium
Now if I only knew how to select TAM seat in advance.
IIRC on my last trip I was able to choose seat on TAM MMB with my Emerald card, but not exit-row seats, neither during check-in nor at gate, they said they allow only Portuguese speaking to catch those.

Originally Posted by kauppias
You forgot to add the DFW leg between your CDGs to make it a uber run gives over 20k mileage then
Man, I was considering this too but did not take it as it would have been a real pain in Y
FFlash is offline  
Old Oct 15, 15, 1:50 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: HEL
Programs: AA plat
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by FFlash
IIRC on my last trip I was able to choose seat on TAM MMB with my Emerald card, but not exit-row seats, neither during check-in nor at gate, they said they allow only Portuguese speaking to catch those.
I'm able to see my res on TAM website but cannot change seats on the seat pre-reservation page, only says "No seat assigned". Weird.


Originally Posted by FFlash
Man, I was considering this too but did not take it as it would have been a real pain in Y
Yes, exactly this.
delerium is offline  
Old Oct 15, 15, 3:11 am
  #101  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1L these days :)
Programs: AF Platinum Ultimate/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G//HH Dia/IHG Dia
Posts: 7,176
Originally Posted by FFlash
IIRC on my last trip I was able to choose seat on TAM MMB with my Emerald card, but not exit-row seats, neither during check-in nor at gate, they said they allow only Portuguese speaking to catch those.



Man, I was considering this too but did not take it as it would have been a real pain in Y
Been there done that! 😂😂😂 my first AA platinum challenge HEL-FRA-DFW-GIG swu or miles and co pay make it quite bearable and a great MR doing most of my runs in Y im used to pain, but now looks like next year is 50/50
kauppias is offline  
Old Oct 15, 15, 6:16 am
  #102  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: HEL
Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Posts: 141
Huh huh.

These Y accomplishments deserve "FT Iron Butt" -recognition!

^ -j

(my wife & daughter look fwd (NOT really) for our HEL-OSL-JFK-OSL-HEL Viking trip with 48hrs layover in NYC)
jouhka is offline  
Old Oct 15, 15, 6:27 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1L these days :)
Programs: AF Platinum Ultimate/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G//HH Dia/IHG Dia
Posts: 7,176
Originally Posted by jouhka
Huh huh.

These Y accomplishments deserve "FT Iron Butt" -recognition!

^ -j

(my wife & daughter look fwd (NOT really) for our HEL-OSL-JFK-OSL-HEL Viking trip with 48hrs layover in NYC)
👍 You have to start somewhere though J is thw place to be you get a higher appetite when eating and J changes to F 😂😂😂👍 doing my 19hrs of flying in Y to Hawaii now in Y 😣
kauppias is offline  
Old Oct 19, 15, 1:07 am
  #104  
HJP
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Gold
Posts: 416
Still planning my first real MR with AY.

Any comments on positioning/same-plane return in WAW or BUD? Are these airports like HEL so that you exit the plane to gate area or do you have to go through transit or security?
HJP is offline  
Old Oct 19, 15, 1:13 am
  #105  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Helsinki-Vantaa APT, Finland
Programs: AY LUMO
Posts: 5,751
Originally Posted by HJP
Still planning my first real MR with AY.

Any comments on positioning/same-plane return in WAW or BUD? Are these airports like HEL so that you exit the plane to gate area or do you have to go through transit or security?
BUD: arriving same area, no security.
OH-LGG is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread