Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:48 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Even for people going places a better earning to AY+ would be great. But since OW business fares only earns 125% there is little hope it'll change. And let's say finnair added a Y+ multiplier, it would only be 110% or so, not really enough.
If partner J was 200% then Y+ at 150% would be possible and attractive. But more likely (if anything) is that full Y and Y+ are 100% and the rest move down to 70 and 30 or so
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by mosburger
CX PE is more like biz light, very much worth booking.

Could be yes but now we are talking MR here, not going somewhere or case not paying your own tickets.

CX HEL-SIN-HEL (via AMS) is 640,21€ with booking code V = 100% = 27680 points for AY+
and then HEL-SIN-HEL (via LHR) booking codes H E H B R B = 100% 27680 points is 1.273€ and PE seating and service is only on LHR-HKG and HKG-LHR. 4/6 flights are sold as PE but then it's:
Economy | Class H (Premium Economy not available)
Not worth of it. Both trips above are 20SEP17 HEL-SIN and 21SEP17 SIN-HEL.

Last edited by OH-LGG; Apr 16, 2017 at 12:20 am
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:57 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Even for people going places a better earning to AY+ would be great. But since OW business fares only earns 125% there is little hope it'll change. And let's say finnair added a Y+ multiplier, it would only be 110% or so, not really enough.
If partner J was 200% then Y+ at 150% would be possible and attractive. But more likely (if anything) is that full Y and Y+ are 100% and the rest move down to 70 and 30 or so
Very true, I was great when all OW J accrued 200%. DONEx tickets had huge value back in the days....anyway the tier multiplier on AY codes should be enough IMO..

But, OW is not what it used to be...so it is not only AY stepping away from it
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Well said, CX level of service/hard product is often overlooked on this board as many have never actually flown with them..there is simply so much beyond AY tier points out there that it might come as a surprise to many (naturally not valid for people who fly solely for points..not because they actually need/want to go somewhere)
They have their Cantonese/HK style which is focused on efficiency and "smart" rather than overtly friendly service.

I tend to like that approach and as the hard product is one of the best in the skies, been rather happy during my 10 years enrollment in the MPC program.

However, I can clearly see that AY is making efforts on the service front after all the cost cutting programs before. So let's give them a chance.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:35 am

Don't know best place to put this but maybe here...

so I have to go to NY in couple of weeks, our travel policy is very strict on cheapest possible. I have two options.

HEL - CDG - JFK - HEL (all AY marketed - I Class) --> 39 200 points
HEL - LHR - JFK - HEL (HEL-LHR-JFK AA marketed, JFK-HEL I Class) --> 29 000 points.

I like option 2, A350 to LHR, then AA 777. But less earning.
Option 1 is A320 followed by AA 767.

How is transferring at CDG? how is AA 767 business class? Option 2 worth the 10 000 points?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:44 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
CDG is just awful, I would take LHR T3-T3 transfer in an eyeblink.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
CDG is just awful, I would take LHR T3-T3 transfer in an eyeblink.
thanks, I remember CDG from my Air France period, and then it was nice. But I heard also poor things about the other terminals. I could imagine it being as MUC T1.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by casper79
How is transferring at CDG? how is AA 767 business class? Option 2 worth the 10 000 points?
Transferring at CDG from AY to AA is easy but feels a bit slow. You have to go through passport checks in 2D right after you deplane Finnair, then get on the international transfer bus that will take you to T2A while remaning on air side.

Unfortunately, the bus goes only clock-wise, so you have to circle all Terminals 2 buildings. It would be much faster from AA to AY. Then again, it is probably no slower than transiting in LHR and you won't have to go through security again. I can't say that CDG is worse than LHR. They are both somewhat bad.

WIth that said, the metal is definitely better via LHR than CDG.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by casper79
so I have to go to NY in couple of weeks, our travel policy is very strict on cheapest possible. I have two options.

HEL - CDG - JFK - HEL (all AY marketed - I Class) --> 39 200 points
HEL - LHR - JFK - HEL (HEL-LHR-JFK AA marketed, JFK-HEL I Class) --> 29 000 points.
Is it just me or is this extremely contradictory? "cheapest possible travel policy" and I class. Does not compute.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Is it just me or is this extremely contradictory? "cheapest possible travel policy" and I class. Does not compute.
In given travel class, flight times etc.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:29 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Transferring at CDG from AY to AA is easy but feels a bit slow. [...]metal is definitely better via LHR than CDG.
AY-AA transfer at CDG is a bit annoying with the bus, but easy, if you carefully follow the signs for transfer (the route is not very clear) and not get out by mistake.

Also OW lounges in CDG are bad compared to lounges in LHR T3 (especially CX lounge now), and may not have much lounge time after the bus "sightseeing" and US extra security.

On the other hand, when flying economy on AA and hoping to score an upgrade (op-up or SWU voucher) my experience is that LHR<->JFK is hardest due to very high number of business travellers. Other AA transatlantic routings like CDG-JFK, LHR-CLT seem to have more room/chance for upgrades. HEL-CDG-US is often a bit cheaper than LHR as well.

I have the same experience of AA metal CDG-US (angled seat) LHR-US (lie flat), i.e. LHR metal is probably better, but when it's an op-up, it's better than Y in any case. If you pay for J, it pays to choose more carefully... AA advertises that all their LHR-US flights are fully lie flat seats.

Another comment against CDG, people say that they have had more luggage trouble transiting CDG than LHR. I'm always carryon-only so can't say.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: AY Silver
OK, trying to hit Silver for first time with AY, I have 3 segments to go and until the end of April (yes I've left it a little late!). I'm trying to do it a) the cheapest way possible, and b) in the least time needed during the working days next week (24th-28th), I'll take my laptop to do work on plane/in lounge (if priority pass one available)/at airport (if no priority pass lounge). Couple of questions:

- Are AY likely to allow a little leeway in the cutoff date, as I have a flight 7th May (and the return for that 23rd May) which would mean I only need 2 segments not 3 in April? Is it worth contacting them to ask?
- Do flights like AY215 HEL-MHQ-TKU, or AY211 HEL-KOK-TMP count as 2 segments or 1? As HEL-MHQ-TKU then TKU-HEL direct seems the cheapest for 3 legs I can find at about €111 if that is 3 legs, it's all in one day with reasonable times, no nested bookings needed etc...
- Any other suggestions?!

Otherwise it's ~€190 for nested HEL-STO-HEL-STO-HEL, but the cheapest ones aren't great meaning travelling from ARN-BMA or vice versa each day and 2 very long days and late nights which is not ideal with a young family...

Thanks!

Edit - it looks like with ticket.fi AY211 is 2 separate legs as they warn the whole trip is 2 separate tickets/bookings and if you miss part of it you're stuck, it's a value fair so that makes 3000 points for the 3 segments... I wonder if this separate tickets is the case with all such bookings, as it's €96 on opodo.de but without the warning.

Last edited by FossilFlyer; Apr 18, 2017 at 3:37 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FossilFlyer
OK, trying to hit Silver for first time with AY, I have 3 segments to go and until the end of April (yes I've left it a little late!). I'm trying to do it a) the cheapest way possible, and b) in the least time needed during the working days next week (24th-28th), I'll take my laptop to do work on plane/in lounge (if priority pass one available)/at airport (if no priority pass lounge)....

I think cutting close on FT is more like being short 79000 points from hitting Gold 4 days before year end
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: AY Silver
Originally Posted by kauppias
I think cutting close on FT is more like being short 79000 points from hitting Gold 4 days before year end
Is that your situation, are you going to make it, all flights planned? Or just a hypothetical?

I realise my situation is small change in the grand scheme of FT things! Though to be fair this topic was started by someone aiming for their first AY silver via an MR...

Last edited by FossilFlyer; Apr 18, 2017 at 5:19 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by FossilFlyer
- Do flights like AY215 HEL-MHQ-TKU, or AY211 HEL-KOK-TMP count as 2 segments or 1? .
I think Jainzar posted some time ago that HEL-MHQ-TKU counted as 2 but I am not sure and I would not dare to count on it myself. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.