Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by AY005
Any info about BER? Has anyone even been there yet?
You arrive airside and boarding works the same way as most of the airports. Didn't do same plane turnaround but is definitely no problem.

Access to security was actually restricted until about 3-4 hours before the flight...
r2d2, Steve_Hun and AY005 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK *A Gold
Originally Posted by avermat
You arrive airside and boarding works the same way as most of the airports. Didn't do same plane turnaround but is definitely no problem.

Access to security was actually restricted until about 3-4 hours before the flight...
Apparently with at least one of the early flights you arrived to different section directly connected to the arrival hall but now the last three have all arrived to the airside. Two flights ago there were bunch of police checking passports (on the day when Uusimaa was added to the risk areas) but nothing on the last flight yesterday. The contract lounge is open for goodie bag (water, pretzel, fruits) pickup and priority security is live as well.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Akkku
Two flights ago there were bunch of police checking passports (on the day when Uusimaa was added to the risk areas) but nothing on the last flight yesterday.
Meaning that they only spot-check flights from risk countries? Did they turn anyone back? My understanding is that arriving from Uusimaa as such is okay, but you are required to self-isolate for ten days, and it's not a Finnish-style recommendation, but actually mandatory How do they follow up?

When I arrived at DUS from IST, there were no checks apart from the usual passport check. No questions asked, no one looked at any forms.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I know a few of you booked this fare: [PREM FARE GONE] OW - AY BLQ-CAN 470 euro

However, dealing with Finnair customer service has me questioning whether to pursue Platinum status with them at all. I am just trying to have my dates rebooked from Spring 2021 to Fall 2021, and every agent seems to have a reason to not want to do it. What gives?

When I rebooked this last year, the agent on the phone explicitly said I could make further changes without any problems. This has been anything but the case. The service, both on web chat and telephone, has been horrible.
esledo likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:43 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by keitherson
I know a few of you booked this fare: [PREM FARE GONE] OW - AY BLQ-CAN 470 euro

However, dealing with Finnair customer service has me questioning whether to pursue Platinum status with them at all. I am just trying to have my dates rebooked from Spring 2021 to Fall 2021, and every agent seems to have a reason to not want to do it. What gives?

When I rebooked this last year, the agent on the phone explicitly said I could make further changes without any problems. This has been anything but the case. The service, both on web chat and telephone, has been horrible.

I have had no issues rebooking this fare, infact its my only active fare at the moment...

has your current flight been cancelled or still scheduled?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
I have had no issues rebooking this fare, infact its my only active fare at the moment...

has your current flight been cancelled or still scheduled?
Still scheduled. My TXL flights were rebooked into BER which was technically a schedule change, but the agents didn't have at that either.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Perhaps the issue is with a "Fall 2021" departure? Do they now allow these rebooking this far into the future?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by intuition
Perhaps the issue is with a "Fall 2021" departure? Do they now allow these rebooking this far into the future?
That's the most likely reason. When I last changed that ticket I pushed it to May. No problems there. My ticket says it's an involuntary reroute so that might also have something to do with it...
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Still scheduled. My TXL flights were rebooked into BER which was technically a schedule change, but the agents didn't have at that either.
The problem is that your flight is still active and schedule change/cancellation has not affected your booking (yet). You have once already changed your booking and there have been no changes since that.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Extra Mile
The problem is that your flight is still active and schedule change/cancellation has not affected your booking (yet). You have once already changed your booking and there have been no changes since that.
Correct -- but that's not what was communicated to me when I originally rebooked. I'm trying to rebook 2021 with more firm dates and now I'm stuck with having to hope for a flight change/cancellation to use this ticket. And if not, likely won't even be able to refund without a penalty.
Originally Posted by intuition
No. The flight schedule is already open until November.
Originally Posted by cistavoda
That's the most likely reason. When I last changed that ticket I pushed it to May. No problems there. My ticket says it's an involuntary reroute so that might also have something to do with it...
Yes. The problem is the last agent did not mark the ticket as INVOL when reissuing and now this is what happens.​​​​​​​
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I am sure they would refund without penalty, especially these fares

The schedule being open until NOV is not the same as having the rebooking window being open until Nov 21. In my experience AY has been VERY accommodating in rebooking during Covid19 and I rebooked many flights until I stopped and just refunded all but this one fare.

in all cases they have worked with me even when the rules were not 100% in my corner, so if you persist I am sure ypu will get there. just might take a little patience

Correct -- but that's not what was communicated to me when I originally rebooked. I'm trying to rebook 2021 with more firm dates and now I'm stuck with having to hope for a flight change/cancellation to use this ticket. And if not, likely won't even be able to refund without a penalty.

Yes. The problem is the last agent did not mark the ticket as INVOL when reissuing and now this is what happens.​​​​​​​
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I am sure they would refund without penalty, especially these fares
I'd say that it wouldn't make sense. The fare wasn't that low and it's unlikely that it would overload the cabin and impact standard revenue. So if nothing else, it's cash in the bank with a potential of making the traveller happy on their journey and squeezing additional money off them.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by on22cz
I'd say that it wouldn't make sense. The fare wasn't that low and it's unlikely that it would overload the cabin and impact standard revenue. So if nothing else, it's cash in the bank with a potential of making the traveller happy on their journey and squeezing additional money off them.

Well I have to disagree 😂 470€ for J to asia is THAT low in my opinion 😂😂 plus they have offered a refund to me on this fare everytime I call to rebook 😂
just my experience
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
In my experience AY has been VERY accommodating in rebooking during Covid19 and I rebooked many flights until I stopped and just refunded all but this one fare.

in all cases they have worked with me even when the rules were not 100% in my corner, so if you persist I am sure ypu will get there. just might take a little patience
Same, though only with Finnish-speaking agents. When I have to speak English on the 'outsourced' plat line the agents are brick walls, who will meticulously enforce every single T&C. Who can blame them, Finnair probably has expressly instructed them to do nothing but.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

...​​​​​​​
I was not referring to flight schedules or bookable flights. I was referring to the corona-policy under which flights booked in 2019 adhere to. There have been a number of different policies for different book/flight dates and they have also changed over time. I don't have them all, I only recall that at one point in time, these trips were allowed to be moved into the future, but there was a limit how far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.