Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Looks bad, since I had originally planned my gold-hunting for this year to be with CX el cheapo tickets. I'd very much appreciate any (cost-efficient) ideas. You can also send me a PM if it's too secret to be told here.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
This topic also I keep an eye on even if I would prefer to do the x-HEL-SYD double-LH-biz version.

For lkrt, have you checked how the AA HEL-USA-SouthAmerica combos are? I do have checked since I have high likelyhood to need to go there again, but I see overall prices soaring there as well, don't find the 500-600 tix any longer that used to be there easily
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA plat
Yeah, look for offers to USA on AA codes, especially ex-OSL, while it still credits 100%.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by lkrt
Looks bad, since I had originally planned my gold-hunting for this year to be with CX el cheapo tickets. I'd very much appreciate any (cost-efficient) ideas. You can also send me a PM if it's too secret to be told here.
How much were you planning to spend on CX el cheapo all in all?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by FFlash
For lkrt, have you checked how the AA HEL-USA-SouthAmerica combos are? I do have checked since I have high likelyhood to need to go there again, but I see overall prices soaring there as well, don't find the 500-600 tix any longer that used to be there easily
Originally Posted by delerium
Yeah, look for offers to USA on AA codes, especially ex-OSL, while it still credits 100%.
Thanks, I will totally look into these!

Originally Posted by intuition
How much were you planning to spend on CX el cheapo all in all?
Got one booked already and thought that three would do the trick (with a little extra points from other flying) so all in all something between EUR 1500-2000.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I suppose you can still buy CX tickets earning 100% from CX.com by selecting semiflex fares (this also works with QF.com). Problem is that CX.com does not offer HEL as starting point.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So you need to get AY+ points at a rate around 2,4 eurocent/point or less. (Gold = 90k points ≈ 82k points with silver bonus. 2k€/82K=0,024). That is doable but usually you need to wait/hope for the moment to come.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by lkrt
Was planning to reach plat w/ a few extra CX trips myself, too. Have two booked from last year so that gets me ~60K and have a trip to Caribbean w/ AA earning another ~20K (if still earning 100% in October), so I thought two more Asian trip - ~550€ each -, should get me to a level where my other flights will easily add up to the missing points to platinum, but unless the great CX tickets come back at some point (doubtful), have to look for a plan B.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Was planning to reach plat w/ a few extra CX trips myself, too. Have two booked from last year so that gets me ~60K and have a trip to Caribbean w/ AA earning another ~20K (if still earning 100% in October), so I thought two more Asian trip - ~550€ each -, should get me to a level where my other flights will easily add up to the missing points to platinum, but unless the great CX tickets come back at some point (doubtful), have to look for a plan B.
Qr often does J trips ex OSL in the 7-800€ range perhaps that will work? A bit more comfort
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by kauppias
Qr often does J trips ex OSL in the 7-800€ range perhaps that will work? A bit more comfort
Hmmm... That actually sounds pretty nice! I'm guessing they are OSL-DOH and not OSL-DOH-XXX, aren't they?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:56 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Hmmm... That actually sounds pretty nice! I'm guessing they are OSL-DOH and not OSL-DOH-XXX, aren't they?
You can get pretty far pretty cheaply with QR! Check this and similar threads in Premium Fare Deals forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...666-890-a.html
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

QR is great in many ways, but there is a difference between good value for money and good amount of points for money. QR is the former but not the latter if we are talking about earning AY+ points.
I'm flying QR to SYD in J for 1385€ which is remarkable good value. Pointswise it will however only earn 43300 points to my AY+ account. The same trip on AY coded flights would have earned more than twice without costing twice as much.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by intuition
QR is great in many ways, but there is a difference between good value for money and good amount of points for money. QR is the former but not the latter if we are talking about earning AY+ points.
I'm flying QR to SYD in J for 1385€ which is remarkable good value. Pointswise it will however only earn 43300 points to my AY+ account. The same trip on AY coded flights would have earned more than twice without costing twice as much.
But when comparing cx Y earnings to QR J it should be better I thought that was what was in question... Obviously AY coded flights in J are best earners for AY plus but by far not the cheapest
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:25 am

Indeed they are OSL-DOH-XXX in my case I am flying on the deal SPBanker linked in his response 👍
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:26 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
JFK is now on sale in J (actually I) for about €1169. A bargain I say. 37500 points return. And adding KUO legs for a nominal cost 3750 additional points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.