Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
If they had any staff there at the plane door, perhaps they could let transfer pax directly in the airside departure area. But at least I didn't see anyone when I deplaned.

Today's gates seem to be 65, 62, 67, 63, and tomorrow's first departure is 62.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by ffay005
If they had any staff there at the plane door, perhaps they could let transfer pax directly in the airside departure area. But at least I didn't see anyone when I deplaned.

Today's gates seem to be 65, 62, 67, 63, and tomorrow's first departure is 62.
On Saturday I did a same plane turn-around @ ARN. We arrived to gate 62, so were forced to re-clear security. However just like lkrt wrote, it was not an issue. We were back at the gate even before boarding has started.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
OSL-HEL-SIN in J class available for ~13k NOK. For example 20-27FEB / 03-08SEP
ffay005, FFlash, napapiiri and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:00 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
On Saturday I did a same plane turn-around @ ARN. We arrived to gate 62, so were forced to re-clear security. However just like lkrt wrote, it was not an issue. We were back at the gate even before boarding has started.
Good, old-fashioned, departures and arrivals mixing Schengen side of AMS is safe in for immediate turnarounds. Just hang around the arrival gate which will also be the departure gate.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Hello,

The most cost-effective way to get missing 16k tier points end of may? Maybe HEL-DEL-HEL?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:08 am

HEL-DEL-HEL in Value might be worth checking out. Should be cheaper than four European Value flights, which also amount to 16k (assuming no status).
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Same plane turnaround no problem at ARN today. Gate 68 meant deplaning right into the crowds. First time I got to tell the crew ”see you in a few minutes”.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
An idiot’s segment run / a Christmas miracle

I just renewed gold for the first time and was greeted with the below:

I’ve already got another 8 flights scheduled between now and Jan 31 when my qualification period
ends, and now for the first time ever I’m wondering if it’s worth following in the esteemed footsteps of some of this forum’s noted users and trying to make up the remaining 22 flights in the space of a month.

I think it’ll take more than a Christmas miracle for me to hit Platinum!
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I mean... When I started this thread I was pondering one mileage run to go for Silver. Now I’m doing 32 segments in one month to get Lumo.

So all in all, go for it! 22 is not too bad.
remymartin, on22cz and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:27 am

Chokkoubin, once you go black, you never go back... So if you do it, prepared to be hooked.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
I think it’ll take more than a Christmas miracle for me to hit Platinum!
No, you can make it. You have about 20 realistic days to do it after Xmas and New Year high season ends and before 31JAN. 22 flights take max 10 travel days if do it and plan it right .

January after high season is also cheap month to arrange flights.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
The numbers look very similar to mine, problem being that segments are lot harder to accrue vs. Points, especially in short time. But lets see after a dropout year, maybe my mind will change Honestly though, with current waitlist game, and flying almosyt fully intraschengen flights Im not so sure if 20+ segments on own money and especially the time (not likely achievable below 50e/segment in such a short time frame) is worth the platinum. 20 segments means in minimum 3-4 full travel days, so half the January weekends would be spent in the plane. 1k to delhi deli etc. Would be quite a no-brainer. The problem for point-exchange is that the points do not exist for a segmenter gaining at worst the 500p+/segment.
With the number being closer to 10, or less, it would make more sense.

But, with more flexibility on time, maybe better investigate some ex-EU J deal or two. Same two weekends but more comfortable. I would have the points (thanks to family&friends and AY CC) but would need the 50k from somewhere, and then convert 150k to 50k tier points.

Last edited by Post Scriptum; Dec 21, 2019 at 2:43 am
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
22 segments on your own money in a bit over a month? I certainly hope you have better things to do with your time and money. As you seem to fly mostly short flights, I don’t see so much of an added value being plat vs gold. Let’s say your 22 segments would cost 1000€ in total, you can buy the champagne for that money on board your flights. The only other benefit is the free magazines in nordic sky.

I wouldn’t do it. The story might potentially
be different if you flew lots of longhaul (upgrade vouchers) to destinations with first class lounges. Potentially also now non-schengen flights with plat wing access could be a reason, but only if you would use it often (at least monthly) over the year.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:39 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I agree, value of Plat for a short hauler is next to nothing over Gold. Maybe if doing a LOT of HEL-LHR..better lounges at both ends but other than that...very small value. Definitely not worth 22 extra segments/1000€....just crazy..
Old Dec 21, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
But true idiot does not make sense of these stuff
cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.