Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Presumably SEA as in South East Asia, not Sea-Tac.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Right, but careful with Two and Three Letter Caps
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:26 am

Oops, meant Southeast Asia, I guess that acronym doesn't really work here
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by pandem
Oops, meant Southeast Asia, I guess that acronym doesn't really work here
Ahh, yes, sorry! You really get used to that every single 3-character caps-spelled word is an IATA code after spending some time here.

If you're talking about Southeast Asia, I'm even more sure that it will book into 100% earning classes, that being L/M/H. So it has done every time in the past.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Happened to find somewhat worth mention J deal if anyone is interested

AY HEL-MIA in business on Sat 28.11., coming back on Sunday 29.11. with AY MIA-JFK-HEL

1355€ bookable on AY website

If you hunt AY points, this will net you more than 100k if you are enrolled in the Accor promo and transatlantic OW promo making the points triple times normal.
As usual, this is an offer I must refuse due to other compromise
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FFlash

AY HEL-MIA in business on Sat 28.11., coming back on Sunday 29.11. with AY MIA-JFK-HEL

1355€ bookable on AY website

If you hunt AY points, this will net you more than 100k if you are enrolled in the Accor promo and transatlantic OW promo making the points triple times normal.
As usual, this is an offer I must refuse due to other compromise
Good deal. Too bad its not after jan 1
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: M&M mainly
Originally Posted by FFlash
Accor promo
and transatlantic OW promo
Moi! Relatively new to OW and AY, maybe very obvious, should I register to both promo with my AY card or my BA card?

And actually flying I understand I should register point into my AY card?

thx for help
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by AhogZ
Moi! Relatively new to OW and AY, maybe very obvious, should I register to both promo with my AY card or my BA card?
The Accor promo is only for AY.

You can register for the TATL promo with both accounts, obviously you'll get the points only for the programme you actually credit your flights to
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Well, didn't have any intention of taking any far east journeys yet, but for some reason my keyboard decided to type such a sequence of characters that now I have flights booked to Tokyo on CX in just a couple of weeks, ~500€, outbound M, inbound L, ~28000 AY+ points. Not bad.
Now one more experience of CX, read my trip report here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-hel-cx-y.html

I know it doesn't qualify as MR, as I was in Tokyo for two nights, but it was fun, as never been in Japan before. Liked it alot, will return for sure!

Points into my AY+ account appeared on Monday, one week after I left home, also for the return flights (that were on Thursday), except the final leg LHR-HEL that is still missing. Very quick I would say
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by delerium
Nice! CX is the odd one in the Oneworld and not so good for me as an AA flyer, as most of CX fares earn 0% for me, including that L class. So being HEL-based, that kind of takes out all CX-based mileage runs away from me
A bit off topic, but anyone has an idea based on what different airlines are crediting points/miles for flights on other OW carriers? Are they based on bilateral agreements, or just a simple one-sided decision, where "OW carrier A" decides that flights in class X worth 100%, while flights in class Y are only 50% on "OW carrier B".

E.g. AY gives 100% points for many CX booking classes, while it is far from being the case the other way around...
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AA plat
Originally Posted by delerium
I booked my flights also through BravoFly, got Amadeus PNR and was able to add my FF# through Finnair website.

I tried to search about the comfort seats and got some mixed messages. Apparently I can't even assign a seat until T-72... but I'll report how it went after my trip.
Promised to report back how it went. What a MR it was :-)

When checking in for the flight in TAM website, I wasn't able to choose Space+ / Comfort seats. However after choosing a seat and completing the check-in process, then going back to finnair.fi to do the check-in for the first leg, then suddenly I was able to choose a seat for the TAM flight as well. And Finnair MMB allowed me to choose a Space+ seat, which I did.

I was pretty sure that my seat would be reallocated though, but to my surprise I actually received op-up to J at the gate There's a first time for everything...

However, during the return leg I tried the same trick but this time the "change seat" button wasn't there, I assume because of Finnair not operating the first leg. I asked from the TAM lounge attendant if he could assign me a Space+ seat but 1) apparently they are only available for free for OW Emerald's and 2) those seats are sold beforehand so they can't do it after check-in. Luckily he was able to seat me somewhere where the middle seat wasn't occupied so the return leg went pretty smoothly for a Y flight.

All in all, pretty good trip

Few random musings:

- GRU new T3 has no ATM's that accept international Visa cards, only MC/AMEX. Needed to go to T2 only for that
- TAM lounge in GRU T3 is pretty nice for a business lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, CC Gold
Now that AA is going to devalue its program I'm thinking about hopping to AY+ and trying to reach AY+ Gold. I'm going to OKA in April and with CX cheapos I could almost reach AY Silver right away, if I converted the award points to status points. I currently have about 5000 on my account. But there are few things I would need some help from you experienced ones.

My current AY+ account's accrual period is from 1.5.-30.4. and the flight would be just few weeks before so I'm thinking about setting up a new account just before the trip. This would leave me plenty of time to reach the AY Gold. But how easy it is to add my ff number to the reservation later, if I buy the flights from Supersaver etc.? Their website says it is only possible to add the number when making the reservation, not after it. Or could it be just as easy as adding the ff number when I'm checking in at the airport? I have used OTA only once for booking flights, so I'm a bit lost here. One option is of course to create a new account now, but obviously I would "lose" a couple of months of my future OWS time because I'm not possibly going to have any flights before the OKA trip.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
It's extremely easy, you can do it on MMB on AY's website at whatever time after the booking has been made.

Good luck! I'm trying to get to AY+ Gold as well next year, most probably with CX cheapos as they give out exit row seats for free for Rubies as well!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, CC Gold
Wow, that was extremely fast, thank you very much lkrt! It's nice to know it can be that easily. And thanks for that exit row tip as well!

I wish you good luck too getting AY+ Gold!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by ghenu
Wow, that was extremely fast, thank you very much lkrt! It's nice to know it can be that easily. And thanks for that exit row tip as well!

I wish you good luck too getting AY+ Gold!
Are you sure the devalued AA program is worse then AY plus even after the devaluation?

Just a thought, I have been trying to make sense of it all but so far I am still on the fence

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.