Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
This lounge is now closed and replaced by the Finnair Premium Wing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1973050-ay-platinum-wing-now-open.html

Print Wikipost

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by florens

I quite like it there as the arrangement is fairly private.
I guess it was a mix of two things for me. Being that close to the window when it is just a window to a wall, and then suddenly all the arriving passengers walking past you. I am sure they can rearrange it and keep the privacy of the settings reasonably intact.
florens likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
On a friday morning the Premium lounge was very quiet, but I must say that the brekkie wasn´t anything to write home about.
Actually the sandwiches on the schengen side were better as the were "made" ; you didn´t have to compile them yourself.
Coffee though was significantly tastyer on the premium side.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:27 pm
R2

The Premium lounge no longer serves omelettes or anything else made to order by a chef at breakfast. Instead they now offer a ready made frittata (anyone who's ever been to a Cumulus or Scandic hotel breakfast will know what it looks like). I asked the waitress about it and she said this is what we have now...oh well, why am I not surprised

On a more positive note, service was very friendly, wine selection appears to have been improved and the lounge was really nice and quiet at 8am. The QR morning flight has a great departure time of 9:40am.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by R2
The Premium lounge no longer serves omelettes or anything else made to order by a chef at breakfast. Instead they now offer a ready made frittata
The must be a very recent change. A week ago when I asked they first offered the frittata, but when I asked once more a choice of tomato, cheese and/or chives) was offered
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by R2
The Premium lounge no longer serves omelettes or anything else made to order by a chef at breakfast. Instead they now offer a ready made frittata (anyone who's ever been to a Cumulus or Scandic hotel breakfast will know what it looks like). I asked the waitress about it and she said this is what we have now...oh well, why am I not surprised

On a more positive note, service was very friendly, wine selection appears to have been improved and the lounge was really nice and quiet at 8am. The QR morning flight has a great departure time of 9:40am.
I never ever liked the service concept at premium lounge. I hate to stand confused what I can or should order from behind the desk. I simply prefer everything is visible buffet-style, or then clear a la carte dining served to table from a clear menu what is available to choose.

Oh well let's see next week there how it is again.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:33 pm

Just arrived at the non-Schengen lounges at HEL and was told that there has been a recent change and prem lounge is "always Emerald-only". I wonder if it's really so or just the usual BS they tell you if they don't feel like letting a Sapphire in or has there really been a change of policy?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:44 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by _fly_
Just arrived at the non-Schengen lounges at HEL and was told that there has been a recent change and prem lounge is "always Emerald-only". I wonder if it's really so or just the usual BS they tell you if they don't feel like letting a Sapphire in or has there really been a change of policy?
Sorry for you as you were clearly expecting to get it (which you should have if your profile is up to date (EXP?). However, if this really is the new policy, it is a very welcome one.

This is what finnair.com says about Premium Lounge:
" Available exclusively for Finnair Plus Platinum and Gold members (+ one guest), and oneworld Emerald cardholders (+ one guest), when the departure flight is operated and marketed by a oneworld airline. Access may be limited during peak hours. "
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by _fly_
Premium lounge has been Emerald-only with the only exception being AY Gold (no other Sapphires) for definitely more than a year. So the staff was right. I'd just not call it a recent change. They probably didn't mention AY Gold access as you clearly had a different airline's card. No BS here.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:17 pm

Yeah, I was really hoping Gold access would have been removed..looks like not..
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Yeah, I was really hoping Gold access would have been removed..looks like not..
I don't think that this is needed, if they restrict access during peak hours during peak hours which is possible.
Access may be limited during peak hours.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jainzar
I don't think that this is needed, if they restrict access during peak hours during peak hours which is possible.
Matter of opinion but I think it's often a total zoo during the late afternoon hours, really nothing premium when you cannot even find a seat (good that this has been taken care of for Lumos). IMO, they'd need more hard core measures, no access for Golds traveling on the afternoon Asian departures, for example (last access for 2pm'ish LHR and JFK), not just based on the entry time or current load etc. as they never know how it's going to be in 30-60mins time and they cannot really carry people out either..

But, easiest would be to kill Gold access completely and make it a proper Emerald lounge from OW perspective also.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by on22cz

Premium lounge has been Emerald-only with the only exception being AY Gold (no other Sapphires) for definitely more than a year. So the staff was right. I'd just not call it a recent change. They probably didn't mention AY Gold access as you clearly had a different airline's card. No BS here.
Finally getting my OWE (BA Gold) in April, but as OWS (BA Silver) I have managed to get access to Premium Lounge every time I've flown non-Schengen out of Helsinki. Latest times were in late January (AY in J to LHR) and early December (QR in J to DOH).
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
BA OWS (not myself) was allowed in the lounge last Friday. Entry 9 PM. So no peak hour.

Food offering was not premium at all at that time.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by jouhka
BA OWS (not myself) was allowed in the lounge last Friday. Entry 9 PM. So no peak hour.

Food offering was not premium at all at that time.
Food offering late at night is not very special, as made-to-order dishes are not available after 21.00 anymore, even though the midnight long haul flights have very limited food service. More clever solution would be offering a good proper dinner in the lounge as that would justify the limited onboard service much better.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
More clever solution would be offering a good proper dinner in the lounge as that would justify the limited onboard service much better.
As they did looong time ago (10-15 years) at the old gold/plat lounge...back then they ofcourse had full dinner onboard as well for late departures..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.