Wiki Posts
Search

Use of upgrade vouchers?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Use of upgrade vouchers?

I just wonder if I can use my 2014 vouchers to upgrade award flights - does anyone know? And how to proceed?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:20 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I don't think you can upgrade award flights.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPBanker
I don't think you can upgrade award flights.
Can anyone confirm this? If not what can I do to save the vouchers? My credit card was stolen so I can not book flights before I got a replacement card - I m not sure to get it before 2015 (since I m in BKK in the moment).
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Can anyone confirm this?
http://www.finnair.com/int/gb/finnai...e-travel-class

Travel class upgrades are not available for Finnair Plus award flights or Money+Points offers.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I have sometimes wondered about the same as OP, why not they could do this?
An eco seat costs 150k points longhaul, a business seat 200000, which is exactly the difference of 50k, i.e. upgrade voucher.

Why not send them an idea proposal. .... errrr.... nevermind ... how did I even think about that....

EDIT: sorry I went to Ay webpages and found it is 125k points eco to N-America. I thought it was 150k before or I recall wrong.

Last edited by FFlash; Dec 21, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
...If not what can I do to save the vouchers? ...
I can only see 2 options - either get an emergency credit card and book&upgrade before expiry or call AY and ask nicely if they could extend the vouchers.

AY usually don't extend vouchers, but it has happened in certain situations, like when a trips get cancelled and the used vouchers have expired or very soon will expire.

Some banks can be very service minded and can get you a card (or the numbers) in hours.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Can anyone confirm this? If not what can I do to save the vouchers? My credit card was stolen so I can not book flights before I got a replacement card - I m not sure to get it before 2015 (since I m in BKK in the moment).
You being Plat, I am quite confident they can somehow accomodate you on this.
I have 2 times got excellent service from them, booking by points (for technical reasons, it's another story...) and later they have given points back and consumed a voucher instead. Very happy about that.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by FFlash
You being Plat, I am quite confident they can somehow accomodate you on this.
I have 2 times got excellent service from them, booking by points (for technical reasons, it's another story...) and later they have given points back and consumed a voucher instead. Very happy about that.
Another data point. Yesterday LH's strike forced me to do some last minute rebookings, including award flight on AY NRT-HEL. I called Plat line and confirmed Y award. C awards were not available, but then CSR said we could try upgrade with voucher, and hopefully it would clear before the flight. I said 'sure', and three hours later the upgrade cleared.

So, it is possible, at least in some cases.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... confirmed Y award. C awards were not available, but then CSR said we could try upgrade with voucher, and hopefully it would clear before the flight. I said 'sure', and three hours later the upgrade cleared.
wow, unprecedented. ^

So this upgrade path cost you 150k + 60k?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by intuition
wow, unprecedented. ^

So this upgrade path cost you 150k + 60k?
No, 90k + one LH upgrade voucher. Just one-way.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

Yeah, looked at wrong table.

Interesting combo, I'm pretty sure it wasn't by the book. Rules for points upgrade says specifically "upgrade cannot be applied to award tickets".
Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
Interesting combo, I'm pretty sure it wasn't by the book. .
My experience say that they not always look to closely to the book when a Plat. needs to get some problems fixed - thats what I like most on Finnair.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:48 am

My experience say that they not always look to closely to the book when a Plat. needs to get some problems fixed - thats what I like most on Finnair.
I concur. Mind you, here the alternative was to book Y award and waitlist C award. Plenty of paid seats available.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

I concur. Mind you, here the alternative was to book Y award and waitlist C award. Plenty of paid seats available.
As I said, my experience is that AY do a little more for their Plats as is written in the book. If it was in that case I don t know, because I don t have the book in front of me.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AY,SK,SU,M&M,HH,IHG,Le
My experience say that they not always look to closely to the book when a Plat.
X->U doable also as a gold. Two weeks ago burned my wifes vouchers to and from DXB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.