Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Current disadvantages on code share flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve_Hun
Beware of codeshares!

If you decide to book a codeshare, no matter how seamless the airlines’ marketing departments make it sound, the following will apply:

Points and miles accrual:
Sometimes, a codeshare might be a good alternative pointswise.

Please note that the calculator at AY.com doesn't work for codeshare flights. You can select "Finnair Codeshare" as carrier, but it does not recognize status bonuses or ticket types (Basic/Value etc) even though you will get status bonus when crediting to AY+, and to some codeshare destinations, AY ticket types are available.

If you’re on AY flight number, you will always earn AY+ points, regardless of carrier. In the 100 % category you earn 1 point / km. In J, you earn the usual 200 % regardless of carrier. You will also earn the usual status bonus.

In some cases (seemingly in cases where the destination is served by both AY and partner metal), you may earn points according to zones.

If you’re on AY flight number and your flight is OW-operated, you will earn points/miles in all OW programmes according to said programme’s AY earning table.

If you’re on OW flight number and AY metal, you will earn AY+ points or points/miles in all OW programmes according to said programme’s earning table of your ticketed airline.

However, if you’re on *A flight number and AY metal, you will earn zero points in any programme (CA, TP). QUESTION: Is this really true? If you’re on HEL-PEK and CA flight number, will you at least earn points in the CA programme? Or in the TP programme for HEL-LIS?

Seat assignments:
Hit and miss depending on the airlines involved, the agent you talk to and other random criteria. Often, it won’t work at all, but sometimes a good agent manages to assign a seat. (At OLCI, will you be given a random seat, or is there a choice? Are many seats blocked at T-36?)

Economy Comfort on longhauls:
Not available to codeshare pax. Not for free for Platinums, and not against a charge for anyone. (Are these seats blocked at OLCI?) Sometimes, Y+ seats are sold at check-in, the gate or on the plane before departure. These are most likely available to codeshare pax. Can anyone confirm?

Pre-order meals in J:
Not available at MMB. A good agent will be able to assign a meal if you call (maybe chat, too).

Special meals (Y or J):
Works normally, however, one might need to contact CS.

Pre-order inflight sales:
Works normally.

Upgrades:
Not available on codeshare. You will need AY metal and AY flight number. The only exception would be a paid upgrade at the airport. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1842907-big-upgrade-thread-all-you-need-know-about-ay-upgrades.html for details.

OLCI:
Used to be problematic but this is mostly solved. You can OLCI at AY.com for AY-operated flights regardless of the flight number. The AY system recognizes all sorts of booking references and you may enter eg. your AA record locator on the AY check-in page.

What about AY flight numbers on other carriers? Do all carriers allow OLCI and recognize the AY/Amadeus booking ref?

Lounge access:
If you’re on OW metal and OW flight number, no problems. You may enter based on OW status or J ticket.

If you’re on AY flight number but non-OW metal, or if you’re on non-OW flight number and AY metal, you may or may not have lounge access. A list would be great.
- French domestic flights operated by AF, with AY flight number, will gain lounge access at CDG (what about other French airports?)

Schedule changes:
When the operating carrier makes a schedule change or cancellation, the ticketing carrier should be the one that you deal with. But this is not always the case, and airlines seem to accuse one another, and sometimes no one takes responsibility if the alternative you are presented with is not satisfactory.

IRROPS:
No experience. For last minute IRROPS, the operating carrier shuld be responsible.
Print Wikipost

Current disadvantages on code share flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by Trav1970
Flying BA795 as AY5905 today. As a AY Lumo, Not eligible for fast track security. Well - time to dig up AX plat and to make a note to self on yet another reason to avoid this code share.
The saga continues. I had booked WTP on the outbound transatlantic AY coded BA flight as reasonably priced J seats were unavailable. Upon boarding, red beep and a new boarding pass. Now enjoying a glass of pre-departure champagne Canard-Duchêne "Cuvee Léonie" Brut NV at 64A, and deliberating whether to enjoy sea trout, braised Irish ox cheek or stracciatella and black truffle tortelloni while underway First op-up on BA as a Lumo (making the score 1-0 between BA and AY )
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
BA has reportedly improved their J catering massively. Enjoy!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by ffay005
BA has reportedly improved their J catering massively. Enjoy!
wooot? Can I book them now again?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by haapalainen
Yeah, that is just too bad a service. As the operating carrier pays for the fast track and BA is too cheap to do this at HEL, no access no matter what card or class you travel. Not at all confusing given that fast track is a clearly published benefit of OWE status.
But if you are BA Gold and fly BA club Europe the gates open for a mysterious reason. They shouldn’t as BA are stingy and don’t pay. I have had a 100 % success rate. A bit OT because my examples has nothing to do with codeshares.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FFlash

wooot? Can I book them now again?
Haven't tried it myself, but
https://onemileatatime.com/british-a...usiness-class/
https://onemileatatime.com/british-a...tering-review/
^^
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by nordic

But if you are BA Gold and fly BA club Europe the gates open for a mysterious reason. They shouldn’t as BA are stingy and don’t pay. I have had a 100 % success rate. A bit OT because my examples has nothing to do with codeshares.
Same here, always worked. Actually I am surprised to read that they don‘t pay. I get it for seasonal destinations and the like but for a oneworld hub I don‘t get it at all.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Now, this is something new. I have a ticket from Finnair in the 105-stock for a set of flights to North America. First and last tickets are AY HEL-LHR-HEL, and the two in between are AY code shares operated by BA. I wanted to reserve seats for these flights. What happens:

1) AY website bounces me to BA web site, and instructs me to use booking reference XXX to update the BA details
2) BA recognizes the code share flights as having been operated by another carrier, When I try to change the seats, I get bounced back to AY site.
3) Steps 1-2 can be repeated as many times as the passenger has patience for.

Perhaps BA is trying to invent a perpetual motion machine here
florens and Clydez like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Now, this is something new. I have a ticket from Finnair in the 105-stock for a set of flights to North America. First and last tickets are AY HEL-LHR-HEL, and the two in between are AY code shares operated by BA. I wanted to reserve seats for these flights. What happens:

1) AY website bounces me to BA web site, and instructs me to use booking reference XXX to update the BA details
2) BA recognizes the code share flights as having been operated by another carrier, When I try to change the seats, I get bounced back to AY site.

I have been having the same issue but vice versa. Very annoying indeed.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:49 am

UPDATE: Issue resolved. After a phone call to AY and a subsequent phone call to BA, it became apparent that I would need to use the AY booking reference rather than the booking reference indicated on the ticket (and no, this is also not the same as the record locator). How I was expected to find out what that was is beyond me, unless the BA agent told me what it was.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Question Finnair code share on Jetstar-Asia

Hi everyone,
Sometimes when I class (discounted business class) inventory on the AY operated SIN-HEL/HEL-SIN flights are sold out, the Finnair website shows a combination of AY code on the 3K (Jetstar Asia) SIN-BKK/BKK-SIN flights to combine with I class for the AY metal BKK-HEL/HEL-BKK.
Now 3K is all Y seating and runs a budget airline model. If the whole ticket is AY I class, do we get lounge access prior to the 3K flights at SIN and BKK, complimentary meal (or on board meal voucher), and free seat selection for these 3K flights?
I am Oneworld Emerald via Qantas Platinum.
Technically, I can use the QF lounge at SIN prior to a 3K coded flight (by virtue of QF Platinum), but not sure if I am allowed in if AY does not provide lounge access and the boarding pass shows AY instead of 3K for that SIN-BKK code-share flight.
Do the entire business class luggage allowance carry over to the code-share on the 3K flights?
Could anyone with such experience please shed some light? Thanks.
Cheers, Gerald
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
UPDATE: Issue resolved. After a phone call to AY and a subsequent phone call to BA, it became apparent that I would need to use the AY booking reference rather than the booking reference indicated on the ticket (and no, this is also not the same as the record locator). How I was expected to find out what that was is beyond me, unless the BA agent told me what it was.
Have a booking to SFO via LHR like this. Cant select the seats for first leg, bouncing me back and forth.
However the seats are ok, so didnt bother to call AY.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Removed from the Wiki the reference to the 100% earning AA economy tickets, as those times are gone...
FFlash likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade

I’ve experienced this ping-pong a couple of times lately. Could not find a way to resolve, other than calling BA CS, which has worked fine so far.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by igel
Now 3K is all Y seating and runs a budget airline model. If the whole ticket is AY I class, do we get lounge access prior to the 3K flights at SIN and BKK, complimentary meal (or on board meal voucher), and free seat selection for these 3K flights?
In my experience, you get complimentary mean for flying under the AY codeshare (even economy), and get the bag allowance determined by Finnair. There are no ways to reserve seats, in advance or even at Finnair check-in.

Originally Posted by igel
Technically, I can use the QF lounge at SIN prior to a 3K coded flight (by virtue of QF Platinum), but not sure if I am allowed in if AY does not provide lounge access and the boarding pass shows AY instead of 3K for that SIN-BKK code-share flight.
As far as I am aware, there is no lounge access. I could not get the boarding pass before the gate, and so I had no ways to get to a lounge anyway.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Courmisch
There are no ways to reserve seats, in advance or even at Finnair check-in.
I'm pretty sure I was selecting my seat on 3K sold as AY directly on 3K's website. Not sure if it was the same PNR or I had to find the 3K one somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.