Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Current disadvantages on code share flights

Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve_Hun
Beware of codeshares!

If you decide to book a codeshare, no matter how seamless the airlines’ marketing departments make it sound, the following will apply:

Points and miles accrual:
Sometimes, a codeshare might be a good alternative pointswise.

Please note that the calculator at AY.com doesn't work for codeshare flights. You can select "Finnair Codeshare" as carrier, but it does not recognize status bonuses or ticket types (Basic/Value etc) even though you will get status bonus when crediting to AY+, and to some codeshare destinations, AY ticket types are available.

If you’re on AY flight number, you will always earn AY+ points, regardless of carrier. In the 100 % category you earn 1 point / km. In J, you earn the usual 200 % regardless of carrier. You will also earn the usual status bonus.

In some cases (seemingly in cases where the destination is served by both AY and partner metal), you may earn points according to zones.

If you’re on AY flight number and your flight is OW-operated, you will earn points/miles in all OW programmes according to said programme’s AY earning table.

If you’re on OW flight number and AY metal, you will earn AY+ points or points/miles in all OW programmes according to said programme’s earning table of your ticketed airline.

However, if you’re on *A flight number and AY metal, you will earn zero points in any programme (CA, TP). QUESTION: Is this really true? If you’re on HEL-PEK and CA flight number, will you at least earn points in the CA programme? Or in the TP programme for HEL-LIS?

Seat assignments:
Hit and miss depending on the airlines involved, the agent you talk to and other random criteria. Often, it won’t work at all, but sometimes a good agent manages to assign a seat. (At OLCI, will you be given a random seat, or is there a choice? Are many seats blocked at T-36?)

Economy Comfort on longhauls:
Not available to codeshare pax. Not for free for Platinums, and not against a charge for anyone. (Are these seats blocked at OLCI?) Sometimes, Y+ seats are sold at check-in, the gate or on the plane before departure. These are most likely available to codeshare pax. Can anyone confirm?

Pre-order meals in J:
Not available at MMB. A good agent will be able to assign a meal if you call (maybe chat, too).

Special meals (Y or J):
Works normally, however, one might need to contact CS.

Pre-order inflight sales:
Works normally.

Upgrades:
Not available on codeshare. You will need AY metal and AY flight number. The only exception would be a paid upgrade at the airport. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1842907-big-upgrade-thread-all-you-need-know-about-ay-upgrades.html for details.

OLCI:
Used to be problematic but this is mostly solved. You can OLCI at AY.com for AY-operated flights regardless of the flight number. The AY system recognizes all sorts of booking references and you may enter eg. your AA record locator on the AY check-in page.

What about AY flight numbers on other carriers? Do all carriers allow OLCI and recognize the AY/Amadeus booking ref?

Lounge access:
If you’re on OW metal and OW flight number, no problems. You may enter based on OW status or J ticket.

If you’re on AY flight number but non-OW metal, or if you’re on non-OW flight number and AY metal, you may or may not have lounge access. A list would be great.
- French domestic flights operated by AF, with AY flight number, will gain lounge access at CDG (what about other French airports?)

Schedule changes:
When the operating carrier makes a schedule change or cancellation, the ticketing carrier should be the one that you deal with. But this is not always the case, and airlines seem to accuse one another, and sometimes no one takes responsibility if the alternative you are presented with is not satisfactory.

IRROPS:
No experience. For last minute IRROPS, the operating carrier shuld be responsible.
Print Wikipost

Current disadvantages on code share flights

Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by ffay005
Continuing my codeshare-report, flying AY7 sold as AA8987. I was not able to fill in the TSA data at AY.fi but was able to do it at AA.com. I was pretty sure that AY OLCI wouldn't work – either it would ask me to fill in the data during OLCI or it would redirect me to a check-in desk. But to my surprise, either AA and AY systems talk to each other or AY just doesn't care. OLCI at AY.fi worked well (31,5 hours before the flight) and I now have a self-printed BP in hand, with lounge invitation and all.
I am having different experience at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24343937-post201.html
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
It's very confusing and also annoying that there's so much inconsistency here. In my case, seat selection was OK, meal selection required a phone call and TSA info was impossible.

OLCI without TSA info was no problem. At the gate, the GA swiped my passport saying "Oh, the passport information is missing from your booking." Very simple.

The flight itself was a disappointment. HEL-MIA J cabin felt like a kindergarten, several babies crying and toddlers babbling away loydly. Meal service was reduced (no appetizer) but the pork cheek was excellent. Very basic crew. No Marimekko amenity kits (has anyone seen those?).
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:03 am
Original Poster

One positive codeshare experience which I was expecting and can now confirm. Flying AY metal with AA flight number, collecting AAdvantage miles. The miles post in your account in less than 24 hours. If you collect AY+ points, it takes 7–10 days.

Last edited by ffay005; Apr 29, 2017 at 4:57 pm Reason: grammar
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:33 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
One positive codeshare experience which I was expecting and can now confirm. Flying AY metal with AA flight number, collecting AAdvantage miles. The miles post in your account in less then 24 hours. If you collect AY+ points, it takes 7–10 days.
Same situation vice versa, on AY flight numbers it still takes more than a week to post on AAdvantage.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

On the outbound, I did OLCI using the AY booking code. Now, on the inbound, I thought I would just for the heck of it type the AA booking code on the AY OLCI site. And it worked! So it seems that OLCI can read AA (perhaps others', too?) booking codes, but MMB cannot.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AY Plat
It's very confusing and also annoying that there's so much inconsistency here. In my case, seat selection was OK, meal selection required a phone call and TSA info was impossible.

OLCI without TSA info was no problem. At the gate, the GA swiped my passport saying "Oh, the passport information is missing from your booking." Very simple.

The flight itself was a disappointment. HEL-MIA J cabin felt like a kindergarten, several babies crying and toddlers babbling away loydly. Meal service was reduced (no appetizer) but the pork cheek was excellent. Very basic crew. No Marimekko amenity kits (has anyone seen those?).
Menus are absent on web. "More info" on meals not working. Never been able to book a meal on the web, always had to call CS. This has been going on for years now.

I have the Marimekko amenity kit in my hands as we speak. Sort of worn out fabric, blue colour bleeding on white. Socks, sleeping mask, toothbrush, toothpaste, blue ear plugs. Overall feels cheap. The previous brown recycled cardboard envelope was much better and made a statement.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Benzin
Menus are absent on web. "More info" on meals not working. Never been able to book a meal on the web, always had to call CS. This has been going on for years now.
I've been able to book meals easily for business class (not that I fly it very often) on web. Also "more info" links do work. Maybe there's some browser incompability issue (finnair website does have some ...... scripts).
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Benzin
I have the Marimekko amenity kit in my hands as we speak. Sort of worn out fabric, blue colour bleeding on white. Socks, sleeping mask, toothbrush, toothpaste, blue ear plugs. Overall feels cheap. The previous brown recycled cardboard envelope was much better and made a statement.
Did you fly out of HEL or an outstation? I'll be on the MIA-HEL tomorrow. Interesting to see whether they're provided on that flight. And sad to hear that the contents is the same crap as before. Not even moisturizer? That's something you really need on a longhaul, IMHO.

(The only statement the recycled envelope made to me was, look, we're trying to greenwash the fact that we're tightwads.)
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:12 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
While heavily OT, I post what I know about the new kits. I was told by AY they were to launch "this week". I dont think anything is stored at outstations, all is loaded at HEL, so once in stock they should be on every flight within 24 hours.

Flying in 36 hours, I thought I would be first to report on the kits. Haha beaten to it!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:15 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
?..

(The only statement the recycled envelope made to me was, look, we're trying to greenwash the fact that we're tightwads.)
^
+1
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:04 am

( look, we're trying to greenwash the fact that we're tightwads.)
+2.
In "Savo" language this translates into something like "köyhän on heleppo ekkoilla"
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:57 am

on a side note , i wanted to book an AY coded flight CDG-HEL-BMA , but operted by Flybe, and to post it to AAdvantage account
does it post properly or should i expect a nil mileage ?
thks!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
All BE-operated flights numbered AY2xxx, including HEL-BMA, are not a code-share flights: you cannot buy those flights under BE code. They are contracted flights.

For all frequent flyer purposes, they are normal Finnair Oneworld flights. So yes, they should earn status and award points toward any Oneworld FFP. Bon voyage!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
All BE-operated flights numbered AY2xxx, including HEL-BMA, are not a code-share flights: you cannot buy those flights under BE code. They are contracted flights.

For all frequent flyer purposes, they are normal Finnair Oneworld flights. So yes, they should earn status and award points toward any Oneworld FFP. Bon voyage!
To credit Flybe operated AY flight (e.g. AY2xxx) to AAdvantage, I vaguely remember they don't quality as minimum 500-mile nor elite bonuses. AA experts here may confirm or correct. Not a big deal, but matters in case HEL-TMP/TKU for example.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by FFlash
To credit Flybe operated AY flight (e.g. AY2xxx) to AAdvantage, I vaguely remember they don't quality as minimum 500-mile nor elite bonuses. AA experts here may confirm or correct. Not a big deal, but matters in case HEL-TMP/TKU for example.
Nothing on http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/finnair.jsp seems to confirm this. Incidentally, a BE-operated flight to VAA took me over the magical 50k very, very late last year, using the 500mi minimum guarantee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.