Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Marschel
Background
From time to time, AY will make the Y traveller an offer to upgrade. This thread lists when, how and and how much the upgrade is.

Selection process is unknown, but it is likely that neither fare class on original ticket nor tier status of traveller is a selection criteria, at least not to travellers advantage. From the reports made so far, both travellers with and without FF# in the reservation have gotten offers.

Offers are likely made only when Y is oversold or nearly full. Some travellers have reported declining offer and being upgraded for free later ("op-up").

Offers are fixed price offers, either in € or in AY+points. The latter kind is only valid for members of AY+, while €-offers are directed to all kind of travellers.

Offers are made either in mail or via text message and recipient has 72 hours to repspond. Some reports says this time is now shortened to 48 hours. Text message offers typically arrive close to departure and may not state a last time to reply.

Offers in text message can be replied to and upgrade is instantly processed. Offers in mail has occasionally not cleared (said to be "sold out" when accepting offer too late).

If offer is accepted and upgrade clears, new ticket is issued in F, so a confirmed upgrade with all perks of business class included. Mileage earning is according to original fare class however.

Development
In august 2015 AY announced a trial to let travellers bid for upgrades, initially on AY89 and AY90. It is likely that bidding will affect the number of fixed price offers.

The trial has been made permanent, and the bidding for upgrade has been extended to more longhaul routes.
The program has also led to a consolidation of upgrade options to one webpage
https://www.finnair.com/int/gb/upgrade-options
where you can upgrade by bidding, by using AY+ points or by accepting last minute cash offers. The latter ("Last minute" offers) are the same as have been discussed in this thread.. Finnair still pushes those offers via e-mail and text-message, but now also shows them on this webpage.

Offers made
Here is a condensed list of offers made, processed including post #213.
Figures are in € unless otherwise stated. Each destination's offers are recorded in a single line in time order.

Longhaul
SIN-HEL 248, 348, 348
HEL-SIN 499, 499, 348, 349€

JFK-HEL 48k points, 348€, 348€, 499

HKG-HEL 248
HEL-HKG 348

BKK-HEL 298, 348, 348
HEL-BKK 48k points, 348€, 348€ (290€ on phone? Not yet confirmed)
HEL-HKT 348

NRT-HEL 498
HEL-KIX 348, 375 (12/19, 01/20)
KIX-HEL 391 (12/19, 01/20)

ICN-HEL 248, 318

HEL-PVG 298
PVG-HEL 448, 498

CKG-HEL 228
XIY-HEL 248

HEL-DEL 198
HEL-DEL 300 (4/19)

YYZ-HEL 225€, 225

Shorthaul
DXB-HEL 99

HEL-VNO 7k points

HEL-BUD 69€
BUD-HEL 69, 8k points, 69

HEL-PRG 69€
PRG-HEL ≈70€

CPH-HEL 7k points, 7k, 69€, 7k, 69€
HEL-CPH 69€, 69, 69

HEL-ARN 7,5k points, 41€

HEL-GOT 7k points
GOT-HEL 7k points

HEL-VIE 69€

HEL-CDG 69€, 69€, 69
CDG-HEL 89€

HEL-MXP 69

HEL-TXL 9k points, 9k
HEL-DUS 69

HEL-HAM 69,69
HAM-HEL 69

HEL-FRA 69€
FRA-HEL 69€, 89, 89€

BRU-HEL 69

GVA-HEL 69
HEL-GVA 69, 89

HEL-LHR 9k points
HEL-LHR 109€

HEL-MAD 89€, 9k points

HEL-SVO 69€

HEL-WAW 79€
WAW-HEL 79€

DUS-HEL 69€

HEL-OSL 42€

HEL-MUC 90 (01/20)
MUC-HEL 115€ (01/20)
Print Wikipost

Please post your upgrade offers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: AY+ Silver
Itinerary: ZRH-HEL
Fee: 178 EUR
Ticket type: Light
Tier: Basic
Validity: 36 hours offer
Advance: 15 days ahead
Conveyance: email

Itinerary: ZRH-HEL
Fee: 176 EUR
Advance: 10 days ahead

Itinerary: HEL-ZRH
Fee: 165 EUR
Advance: 15 days ahead
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, IHG Diamond, Marriott Rewards Gold
Itinerary: HEL-ARN
Fee: 53 EUR
Tier: Platinum
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Itinerary: HEL-DUS
Fee: 177 EUR (!)
Tier: Lumo

with the concurrent offer of 7000 points, this just makes absolutely no sense
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

with the concurrent offer of 7000 points, this just makes absolutely no sense
7000 points promo starts on 19JAN19
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Guillou
Early morning flight. Are you freakin’ kidding me...
Should early morning upgrade be more or less € or what do you mean?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Itinerary: HEL-ARN
Fee: 7500 points
Tier: Platinum
Validity: Up to 2 hrs before departure
Advance: 25 hours
Conveyance: SMS

I say nay!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
I wonder how they choose the targets for the offers. Reading this thread, it seems that a lot of people get email offers. I’ve flown my fair share with AY (Platinum for more than a decade, now Lumo), but I’ve never ever gotten an email offer. An SMS every now and then (infrequently), but never an email.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: AY+, HH Gold
Originally Posted by _ra_
I wonder how they choose the targets for the offers. Reading this thread, it seems that a lot of people get email offers. I’ve flown my fair share with AY (Platinum for more than a decade, now Lumo), but I’ve never ever gotten an email offer. An SMS every now and then (infrequently), but never an email.
I thought it was a status thing, but since you have been plat/lumo... I used to get the SMS offers for points upgrades nearly for every flight years ago when flying 4-5 times/year between ARN and HEL, but when I moved, that stopped. (I was silver briefly then, but now just basic) Now I mainly fly AY between LHR and HEL (about 3 times/year) and I've only once gotten an email offer the past 6 years.

However, now over Christmas I noticed that the app showed the option for upgrade both on outbound and inbound. For both legs the upgrade availability tool showed no upgrades when checking periodically over 2-3 months, and CS told me there was a waitlist for the outbound. The app offer only showed there briefly, 1-2 days before the flights, so since I didn't tap on it immediately, it had already disappeared by the time I thought to see what it was. I wonder if they are moving towards offering upgrades through the app?

There's been already some discussion on the change in availability on the website. It would be interesting to see if the way they proactively offer them is also changing. I'm of course getting a little worried because upgrades are the main way for me to use my points.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
7000 points promo starts on 19JAN19
The flight is on the twentysomethingth - it seem the offer came not 10 days ahead, but 2 weeks or so. 7k point upgrade done.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check you profile - there must be some checkbox where you need to opt in/out of offers etc.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
i get both. sometimes email sometimes SMS.
For me, Email offers seems coming about couple weeks before departure. SMS upgrade usually 36h, 48h before
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Itinerary: HEL-OSL
Fee: €40
Validity: 36 hours
Advance: 2 weeks

I don't know - it's cheap for a J upgrade. But it's of a very low value without J points. So I guess rational decision will be to ignore this one.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by on22cz
Itinerary: HEL-OSL
Fee: €40
Validity: 36 hours
Advance: 2 weeks

I don't know - it's cheap for a J upgrade. But it's of a very low value without J points. So I guess rational decision will be to ignore this one.
I'd take it would it be my decision.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by florens
I'd take it would it be my decision.
So what is your tactics then to cover that 40€? Shout out loud immediately after taking a look at the skybistro card: "3 JP's and 1 GT!" or?
florens, on22cz and Teppo like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by FFlash
So what is your tactics then to cover that 40€? Shout out loud immediately after taking a look at the skybistro card: "3 JP's and 1 GT!" or?
I value the additional space (at least in Airbus, not sure if OPs service is operated by E190, which would change everything), the quieter cabin and of course then a couple of drinks. I've spent 40€ on more stupid things!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.