Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HEL expansion plans until 2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OK, then I have a much better understanding of what to expect.

It isn't necesarily bad, it is just something else than an Airport express.

CPH is only served by regular commuter trains, and it works fairly well. The difference is that these are 200 km/h commuter trains, so even with a few stops you reach pretty far in 30 minutes.

ARN express is excellent in speed and reliability. But price wise it is a disaster (and knowing it was publicly funded while the profits generated goes to a private company is stomach turning).

So perhaps this HEL commuter-rail-compromise was the best to be had for decent money. I still think I will go by bus as long as that alternative is given though.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Apologies, I was under the impression that the airport train wouldn't go to the centre at all. Either way, in the end I think this will cater towards locals with a monthly rural/"Greater Helsinki" card plan, no one else.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
This is the only text I could find about the new train routing, and it kind of suggested to me too that Pasila would be the most central stop, as it otherwise wouldn't be a loop. But looking closer at the track layout of Pasila area, there really are no tracks to make it a true loop. They will need to reverse the trains at some point, and then I guess central is a better place to do that.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:09 am
Moderator, Finnair

If the airport metro ever becomes a reality, then the system makes even more sense.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:10 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Original Poster
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Don't hold your breath...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Had a discussion with a colleaque about the train connection. He proposed that it would be good if a train connecting passenger would get a free ticket extension to the airport train.
He added, maybe it is a good proposal, but maybe not a good one as it could dry up airports like TMP/TKU etc. for people taking train instead of connecting flight. I think though the extension ticket price is not determining factor in any case.
There are many stakeholders...who knows what would happen
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
If the airport metro ever becomes a reality, then the system makes even more sense.
The airport metro would make absolutely no sense as the airport rail-link ("Ringbanan" on the map) will be ready and operational by July this year. Of course as the city of Helsinki has nothing to do with THAT, they need their own toy.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FFlash
Had a discussion with a colleaque about the train connection. He proposed that it would be good if a train connecting passenger would get a free ticket extension to the airport train.
He added, maybe it is a good proposal, but maybe not a good one as it could dry up airports like TMP/TKU etc. for people taking train instead of connecting flight. I think though the extension ticket price is not determining factor in any case.
There are many stakeholders...who knows what would happen
I would be VERY surprised if an xxx-Airport train ticket would be anymore expensive than an xxx-Helsinki ticket. Change at Tikkurila (from north) or Pasila (from west)
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The airport metro would make absolutely no sense as the airport rail-link ("Ringbanan" on the map) will be ready and operational by July this year. Of course as the city of Helsinki has nothing to do with THAT, they need their own toy.
I meant sense in the eyes of a traveller. The metro looks quite a bit shorter/quicker and better suited for traveller wanting to get to the city.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the Ringbanan is 30-35 min airport-Helsinki railway st. Helsinki's mayor would love to spend a few hundred million euros of other people's money to shave off 5 minutes with a new metro. But it won't happen.

The Ringbanan connects to the main train line, so everyone NOT travelling Turku-bound can connect to their long distance trains at Tikkurila (again, NOT in Helsinki)

The Ringbanan was 50 years in the planning, the Western metro line a decade or two - so I wouldn't buy a ticket for the new airport metro just yet
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I would be VERY surprised if an xxx-Airport train ticket would be anymore expensive than an xxx-Helsinki ticket. Change at Tikkurila (from north) or Pasila (from west)
At most the cost would be +-0,20€ in my experience! It will eat more traffic from airport buses I would think... Especially if they see fit to add later departing trains to Tampere etc a 24 or 01 departing commuter train to TPE ( Tampere railway station abbreviation not taipei would serve both late commuters from downtown and plane pax arriving on late flights
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
TPE ( Tampere railway station abbreviation not taipei

Kauppias, is that from a Extended Look-up Codes for Very frequent fliers only (those who use also trains)?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:51 am

New update on www.finavia.fi about HEL train here

They haven't uploaded an english version of the news. The update tells the train starts on 1st July, but the terminal station is not ready until fall, and they will have a shuttle bus from "Tietotie" station to terminals.

Also to note some bus route changes. 615 will remain the only direct coach to Helsinki city.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
New update on www.finavia.fi about HEL train here

They haven't uploaded an english version of the news. The update tells the train starts on 1st July, but the terminal station is not ready until fall, and they will have a shuttle bus from "Tietotie" station to terminals.

Also to note some bus route changes. 615 will remain the only direct coach to Helsinki city.
There's no Tietotie station, the Airport station has two entrances, one from the terminals and other from Tietotie street. Until fall only the Tietotie entrance is open. The airport area has two Ring Rail Line stations, Lentoasema (Flygplats/Airport) and Aviopolis.

The Finnair bus will stay too, right?

Last edited by Andaman; Apr 25, 2015 at 12:58 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:59 pm

Okay, the info in the link was a bit unclear. It says there will be a shuttle bus which takes some 10 mins to run a round. But then, it say that it is only 350 m walk to T1 and 750 meters to T2 from "Tietotie", which makes it no sense to take the shuttle. Just walk?

Ennen terminaalisisäänkäynnin valmistumista HSL kuljettaa matkustajat Tietotien sisäänkäynniltä terminaaleihin ilmaisilla sukkulabusseilla.

HSL operoi kahdella bussilla reittiä Tietotie-T1-T2-Tietotie. Yhdensuuntainen kierros kestää kymmenen minuuttia, joten bussien vuoroväli tulee olemaan viisi minuuttia. Aikaisin aamulla kello 4.30-6.00 sekä kello 23.00 jälkeen vuoroväli on kymmenen minuuttia ja liikennöinti hoidetaan yhdellä bussilla.

Tietotien puoleiselta sisäänkäynniltä on noin 350 metrin kävely T1:een ja 750 metrin kävely T2:een.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.