HEL expansion plans until 2020

Old Apr 2, 19, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
The April Blue Wings magazine has a gate map where the Non-Schengen gates start from 34 (gates 32 and 33 are on the Schengen side). In the map there are new gates 37 - 39 opposite to the first three Non-Schengen gates 34 - 36, but as planes can't get to the south side of the terminal building, I would guess there are no new gates, but these gates could be accessed from the Schengen side as well (with a different gate number). That would definitely help in cases where a plane arrives Non-Schengen and departs intra-Schengen (or vice versa).

In the map, gates 34/37, 36/39, 45 and 48 have A- and B-gates, so they are probably the dual jetbridges which can handle two narrowbodies simultaneously.
AFAIK the current gates 32-34 will become dual use gates that can be used for both Schengen and non-Schengen flights. The waiting areas for these gates won't be very big though as I don't think they will increase the size of the terminal building but rather just divide the current space with movable glass walls. But anyway it will be a good addition at least to the morning wave as less bussing for Schengen flights is needed.
Ukki likes this.
Old Apr 2, 19, 5:25 am

Programs: AY Plus, Norwegian Reward
Something strange with Blue Wings map.

Gates 25-33 it's 8 gates with bridge and Blue Wings skips number 31. 31 is renamed as 32. But what is gate 33?

In Finavia's map and in real life 25-31 it is 7 gates with bridge.

I dont get it.
Old Apr 2, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by haapalainen View Post
The waiting areas for these gates won't be very big though as I don't think they will increase the size of the terminal building but rather just divide the current space with movable glass walls.
Finavia's page about the expansion program shows that the building would be expanded for gates 37 - 39 (to our surprise). Remains to be seen how correct that is, unless someone over here has access to the information.

Dual-usage gates will require separate access to/from the Schengen area, so that alone would require one more floor. Guiding arriving Non-Schengen passengers to Aukio will also require it.

The South Wing and the 50A-M bus gates already showed that Finavia doesn't want to offer seating at gates anymore, so I'd still expect most of the seating to be enhanced away when gates 32-34 will be renovated to 34-39.

Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
Gates 25-33 it's 8 gates with bridge and Blue Wings skips number 31. 31 is renamed as 32. But what is gate 33?
Gate 33 in the map mesmerized me as well. There would be room for one new gate between the current Schengen and Non-Schengen gates, maybe one will be built?

Renaming gate 31 seems logical to avoid confusion with 31A-D. The same thing was done already with gate numbers 50 and 51.
Old Apr 2, 19, 8:47 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I only now noticed on the Finavia page that gate area at 17–19 will also be expanded, opening in June 2019. Has this work already been done? I haven't noticed anything but I'm rarely there anyway.
Old Apr 2, 19, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Deleted

Last edited by intuition; Apr 2, 19 at 9:43 am Reason: Too slow
Old Apr 2, 19, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
Finavia's page about the expansion program shows that the building would be expanded for gates 37 - 39 (to our surprise). Remains to be seen how correct that is, unless someone over here has access to the information.
I believe that extension is to allow for the upper floor transit, just like arrivals at south pier is supposed to stay on upper floor until reaching central plaza.

-- Added
And now I've looked in Blue wings magazine and see the confusion. What is labeled in the Finavia sketch as "extension 37-39" is the expansion to north to accommodate the transfer lanes to plaza.
In BW 37-39 are new busgates, just like new 34 and new 36, I assume. Unless floor plans have changed entirely.
Current 32-33-34 has become 35, 40 and 42 in in the BW sketch. Their locations corresponds to the construction floor plans as the jet bridge gates are planned to be further apart than currently.

manywhere likes this.

Last edited by intuition; Apr 2, 19 at 11:48 am Reason: Had a second look
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:44 am

New taxi stand is now active in the basement. There are signs directing people there, but people flows cross paths very badly in the ground floor. Total circus, only clowns are missing (unless you count hi-vis guys directing the taxis).
Old May 11, 19, 2:25 am

Programs: AY Plus, Norwegian Reward
New gate number 42 now in use

r2d2 and miamiflyer8 like this.
Old May 13, 19, 10:14 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT + hotels
7 am this morning, at gate 33, the next flight to leave is scheduled at midnight (SIN). Do they really have so many gates that they can afford to not use gate 33 all day?