Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
Here we try to keep an up-to-date list of who-goes-where. Finnair may have tuned the boarding groups since the first introduction, so some entries here are not confirmed.

Pre-boarding (those in need of assistance, UM, travellers with children of any age)
Group 1: J-pax, AY Lumo, AY Plat, Oneworld Emerald
Group 2: AY Gold, Oneworld Sapphire
Group 3: AY Silver, Oneworld Ruby
Group 4–5: Other customers, depending on seating

Assignment of group
Group is assigned based on ticket type and status of individual frequent flyer card attached to booking. All customers on the same booking are assigned the same group, i.e., based on the highest tier in the party.
The boarding groups are printed on paper boarding pass on every route with capital letters "GROUP 1". The group also appears on digital boarding passes.

Enforcement of Boarding order
Enforcement of groups is haphazard. Sometimes groups are called out, sometimes a call like "we invite our priority customers to board first or at any time". Groups are rarely checked on boarding though and on shorthaul no aids (like ribbons, signs) are used either. At HEL automatic boarding gates have been introduced which means "priority boarding" in now enforced.
Print Wikipost

Boarding groups - finally?

Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
They have started enforcing the boarding zone policy by making the automated gates be aware of boarding zones. Last weekend when boarding in HEL, when boarding zone 1 was announced ready, it was amusing to see the chain of:

- Pax pushes his way through to the gate and scans boarding pass
- Gate only beeps at him and displays "wrong boarding zone"
- Tries again, oblivious to why the gate does not let him board
- Finally gives up

Repeat for 10 people in a row. All the while the gate staff is repeating "boarding zone 1 only". Happy to see this is now enforced, and in a simple and efficient manner.
no offense but I see no enforcement here.

why are the gate agents just looking and doing nothing while gates stay empty, plane waiting and nobody boarding since the real gr1 people cannot get through the masses of clueless gr4 pax who stay in way and gate agents just stand there with stirring eyes
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I think it's still in the process of being rolled out but looking good so far. I was surprised to see the same gate zone enforcement being in place in ZRH for the AY flight to HEL. Haven't seen such things for other flights in ZRH. Fortunately my traveling companion being in group 4 was not an issue, I just explained it to the gate staff and they let us both through with boarding zone 1.
They usually do, but as they move to rely on automation, I'd prefer if they fixed it on BP in the first place.

The last time the gate agents patiently waited until the horde of zombies had all tried their luck with the gates and given up. After no one was trying anymore, they asked one more time for group 1 passengers, and that's when I pushed through. It would be nice if they did something like that more often
Communication is the key to succeed on this. Just doing PA is likely not enough, as frankly the quality (both of the PA and of English) makes people almost never listen to announcements. When PA comes on, that is taken as signal to line up.
As said many times here, the Japanese way of announcing boarding procedure is exemplary.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:35 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by lkrt

Talked with AY ground crew saying this is being implemented (so that everyone on the PNR get the highest group number on the PNR).
This is very welcome news! ^
FlyingFinn and Ukki like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:45 am

I have not seen all possible methods but the one in Indonesia was great.

Everybodys BP was stamped with a sticker with color. Boarding announced with color on the screen. No single that stupid person who could be so clueless to fail and try wrong boarding group. 58Ö boarded first with green sticker, yellow went next and last went the front of plane with red sticker.

Awesomely simple. Free to implement all over.
EuroFlash likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:07 am
Moderator, Finnair

Simple indeed!

Some japanese gates do "the ring girls" thing from boxing (not as scantily dressed though), carrying big placards around the gare area. Very friendly and relaxed boarding procedures.
FlyingFinn likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Look at this photo! This is how boarding groups are done properly! Further on the left is first (not actually applicable for this flight) / OWE, then Business / OWS, Premium economy / OWR and last one on the right is Economy. Boarding passes checked for the first three prior to the start of boarding. And as you can see it, this is not HKG, CX's base of operation, but CEB, a "regional" airport in the Philippines.

ffay005 and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
If you see how PVG is doing the boarding for AY i like that a lot! Gate agents check your BP before you get in Group1 queue (have always been group 1 not sure if they check BPs for other groups.)

Simple yet no confusion, very similar to the pic @Steve_Hun posted

In most of shechngen gates at Hel the boarding area is simply too small to implement this multiple priority lanes.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Look at this photo! This is how boarding groups are done properly! Further on the left is first (not actually applicable for this flight) / OWE, then Business / OWS, Premium economy / OWR and last one on the right is Economy. Boarding passes checked for the first three prior to the start of boarding. And as you can see it, this is not HKG, CX's base of operation, but CEB, a "regional" airport in the Philippines.

And this boarding area is about the size of ten boarding areas in HEL Schengen zone.

I think the major problem at HEL is that they've crammed the whole Schengen area with clusters of expensive and empty (of people) shops, so there's no room left for (1) boarding, (2) waiting.
jouhka and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
And this boarding area is about the size of ten boarding areas in HEL Schengen zone.

I think the major problem at HEL is that they've crammed the whole Schengen area with clusters of expensive and empty (of people) shops, so there's no room left for (1) boarding, (2) waiting.
so true.

Maybe then it is designed for SR shopping runs! well I dont do that and advice others not to do ”shop runs” as an illegal event
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by lkrt
Talked with AY ground crew saying this is being implemented (so that everyone on the PNR get the highest group number on the PNR).
I sure hope they pick the lowest group number, not the highest one!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by duvin
I sure hope they pick the lowest group number, not the highest one!
Ha yeah, of course.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:13 am
Moderator, Finnair

Should teach plats not to travel with golds, juniors and other lowlives!
cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by intuition
My wife is segment running as hell to gain plat but will not likely reach it before family trip in April, what to do? Any suggestions handling the problem smoothly?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Black cards are made to impress!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
My wife is segment running as hell to gain plat but will not likely reach it before family trip in April, what to do? Any suggestions handling the problem smoothly?
I guess converting Awards points to Tier points wouldn't work for segment run?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.