AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Old Aug 19, 15, 2:40 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum
Just came back from HEL-BUD-HEL (Y) trip and on both flights got free newspaper and the third seat in the row (was sitting with my sister) was empty both directions, which I was surprised about, given that we were sitting in an exit row
Old Aug 19, 15, 9:06 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Oh, in my experience, the seat blocking soft-perk works just as well in the exit rows as the other ones.

In effect, for Gold and Plat, flying in exit row is better than flying in upgraded Euro-J. And you can get the meal for a lot less than the paid upgrade if you really want to eat something
Old Aug 19, 15, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
I have one (but that is 100% of occasions!) opposite experience. High load factor but not 100%, but someone in every exit-seat including the one next to me. I think getting revenue for an exit seat is way higher prioritized than keeping an empty seat for the benefit of frequent flyer.
Old Aug 29, 15, 4:49 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Don't know if this qualifies as a soft perk, but can your fellow traveler without any OW level join you to business class check in / priority security / priority boarding? Is it acceptable?
Old Aug 29, 15, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Welcome to Flyertalk Unsub!

I'd say it would be natural at check in at least. Priority security is usually printed on the BP and thoroughly checked. (Airlines pay extra for each pax going through prio sec). So that is not likely to work.
For boarding, AY is not well known for enforcing their rules, but the brarding group is also very visible on the BP.

One idea would be to go to J checkin together and just ask if they are able to put you in the same boarding group and perhaps even get prio sec printed on both BPs.
Old Aug 29, 15, 6:16 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk Unsub!

I'd say it would be natural at check in at least. Priority security is usually printed on the BP and thoroughly checked. (Airlines pay extra for each pax going through prio sec). So that is not likely to work.
For boarding, AY is not well known for enforcing their rules, but the brarding group is also very visible on the BP.

One idea would be to go to J checkin together and just ask if they are able to put you in the same boarding group and perhaps even get prio sec printed on both BPs.
If both passengers are on same PNR both can use Business check-in and have same Group printed on BP. Don't know about prio security though.
Old Aug 29, 15, 6:51 am

Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG-P IHG-S HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
It has always worked for me in prio security when someone's on the same pnr
Old Aug 29, 15, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming you mean at HEL (where entry to prio sec is manned) ?
In CPH, for example, entry is automated and unless your BP says "Prio security" gates won't open.
Old Aug 29, 15, 10:05 am

The published policy allows one adult and any minor guests at HEL priority security:
http://www.finnair.com/int/gb/inform...curity-control

At other airports, you officialy can't, and you definitely can't if the gate is automatic.

On a loosely related note, and for the sake of curiosity, I find it odd that OWE do not have have priority security at some airports, when Finnair elites do.
Old Aug 29, 15, 2:19 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Ok, so Gold and Platinum can take the family through priority security. What about lounges? The official rules say one guest but what about taking the family. This is important for me when I decide if I should go for gold with Finnair or if I should make an effort to renew SK gold (which allows family to lounge).
Old Aug 29, 15, 2:35 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by niksal View Post
Ok, so Gold and Platinum can take the family through priority security. What about lounges? The official rules say one guest but what about taking the family. This is important for me when I decide if I should go for gold with Finnair or if I should make an effort to renew SK gold (which allows family to lounge).
As Gold, I have never encountered any problems taking my family (wife, two kids) to the lounge (at HEL or elsewhere). One guest rule refers to adults.
Old Aug 29, 15, 2:38 pm

I've seen families with kids a number of times. In practice, I think the limit is only for adults.

Besides, the Schengen lounge has a kid's tower...
Old Aug 29, 15, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, depends on place and situation. There is no official "family" rule, the rule is clearly one (1) guest, whereas SK actually officially allows up to 4 close family members (partner, parents, kids).
If we are talking about HEL, then sure no problem. (I guess they can afford to be generous, it's not like the lounge at HEL is crowded or anything)
Old Aug 29, 15, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Furry View Post
If both passengers are on same PNR both can use Business check-in and have same Group printed on BP. Don't know about prio security though.
Haven't ever had a problem taking my family or even bigger group to J or F check in if I was the only passenger entitled for that. And that is not limited only to HEL but many destinations. Usually security works too.

Originally Posted by niksal View Post
What about lounges? The official rules say one guest but what about taking the family. This is important for me when I decide if I should go for gold with Finnair or if I should make an effort to renew SK gold (which allows family to lounge).
Don't have any experince in HEL but e.g. BA counts every 2+ years old as a guest. They can be quite rude while enforcing their rules. Once they thought it is a good idea to leave 2,5 years child to wait outside a lounge in LHR to wait while 2 adults visits in. I didn't see it the best idea
Old Aug 29, 15, 4:27 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Thanks all. I understand it's not a OW benefit. But prio security and lounge in HEL for entire family sounds good. The difference is of course that AY only has own lounges in Helsinki but SK has other lounges as well.

Currently AY kicks SK ... with pricing to Nordic destinations so it's not unlikely that my SK gold will be swapped to a AY gold sometime early 2016.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: