AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Old Jul 13, 15, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja View Post
To my experience these soft perks are very random. ...
I have been wondering why it is so difficult for AY to standardize the service and ensure that elites are noted on their flights, it would be very easy to keep us happy but they just don't get it!
Indeed random. To the point that I think it simply isn't in any training or service manual - perhaps just a silent agreement between some of the more experienced and dedicated. Clearly it isn't enforced by service management so anyone among the staff aiming to take the easy road can do so and never hear a word about it.

Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
I wish the seat block worked, and it was made "official", since it is my most valuable perk as everything else on a plane is useless in my value map. I rather take exit-row without neighbour on E90 without food, than a business class seat with a neighbour extending to my lap.
I recently had a no food, exit row with a seat mate of approximate size 2m x 1m x 1m flight - can't say I ever want to leave the J section to do that again
But I understand (and agree with) what you are saying.

Originally Posted by Courmisch View Post
Did you ever ask for a newspaper in one language and obtain one in another?

In my case, I once asked (upon FA solicitation) in voucher-upgraded Euro-J from BRU for a French language newspaper. And I got one in Flemish?!

I mean, sure, Zaventem is technically a Flemish-speaking area, but 1) I am not Belgian and do not understand Flemish and 2) it takes serious neglect to not notice the difference between a romance and an anglosaxon language newspaper.

So yeah, I stopped caring about the free newspaper, if I ever did.
Well, I was once denied a newspaper due to "but they are all Finnish news papers"! (yeah, sure, but I'm pretty sure I can read HBL.. )

Agree Flemmish is quite far from French, but in my imagination at least dutch is pretty readable if you have some knowledge of north germanic languages. Maybe vlaans is too?
Old Jul 13, 15, 5:02 pm

Programs: AY GUEST
I usually Have a plastic bag full of newspapers so I dont need AY's papers.
Old Jul 13, 15, 6:50 pm

Programs: Discretely with AA-G AFFB-C2 UA-EP LHLX-S HH-D
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Agree Flemmish is quite far from French, but in my imagination at least dutch is pretty readable if you have some knowledge of north germanic languages. Maybe vlaans is too?
The syntax of VL-NL is igual.
However, the vocabulary of NL is much nearer FR. Funny that. VL seems to make a point of standing out from FR vocab. Whereas NL uses oodles of FR terms, probly with the logic of, yeah, so Napoleon left a few words behind.
The obvious example is the NL word carrosserie (coachwork, bodywork, of a vehicle), whereas our southern neighbours have adopted koetswerk (coachwork).

Yes, I long for the days of when SR, on its European flights, like ZRh-MAN had The Guardian, Le Monde as well as the extensive assortment of Geneva's and Zurich's best, and worst.

Come back SR!
Old Jul 14, 15, 2:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by PaulRO View Post
Yes, I long for the days of when SR, on its European flights, like ZRh-MAN had The Guardian, Le Monde as well as the extensive assortment of Geneva's and Zurich's best, and worst.
I find AY's choice of newspapers is terrible anyway. Even on CDG routes, they typically only offer Les Échos. I guess the logic is that in Business class, you shall get a Business newspaper. I vaguely recall that they had Le Figaro at some point... I don't really get why they'd pick a right wing newspaper though. Maybe Le Monde is more expensive.
Old Jul 14, 15, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I still remember my "fight" for a free HS on MAD-HEL with the Spanish crew.

"But sir, it's free for Platinum members only, and you're gold."
"Yes, sweetheart, BA Gold, which is equal to AY Plat"
"Yes, but it says gold"

Repeat it a few times and the deus ex machina in the form of the purser finally decided, that "only this time"
Old Jul 14, 15, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
I still remember my "fight" for a free HS on MAD-HEL with the Spanish crew.

"But sir, it's free for Platinum members only, and you're gold."
"Yes, sweetheart, BA Gold, which is equal to AY Plat"
"Yes, but it says gold"

Repeat it a few times and the deus ex machina in the form of the purser finally decided, that "only this time"
Always thought perks would apply only if AY Plat (or maybe gold). But got (as a BA Gold) newspaper before take-off on a FNC-HEL flight in June..., nothing going there. And nothing on IVL flights in Feb.
Old Jul 20, 15, 4:30 pm
ttj

Programs: AY+ Plat
Wanted to freshen up on arrival and visited AY schengen lounge with arriving boarding pass at HEL (without connecting flight), asked lounge dragon if the unofficial perk for platinums is still in force regarding arrival entry.
"yes sir, we want to take care of our best customers" ^
Recently had to burn some time at HEL waiting for the SO to arrive on separate flights and swung by the lounge and I think this falls under intuition's earlier note about "rule bending": my understanding from the ladies at the reception is that the OWE/Plat perk is for shower/freshening up, but that they're willing to make "exceptions" and were rather proactive in interpreting it that way. Either way, worked out rather painlessly and waiting at the lounge with some champagne certainly beats the arrivals section of the terminal.

As for the newspapers, got pretty much literally a local tabloid paper thrown at me by the FA when I was immersed in listening to music on a recent flight. On the next flight actually got an option to influence which paper I wanted from the trolley.
Old Jul 21, 15, 2:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum
I fly mostly E90 and ATR machines by NORRA so I think I am pretty sure the seat block has got random as of late. Might be an IT issue, but it worked nicely still a year ago.

Now I can mostly see on ATR too where there is no exit-row either, that my preassigned seat has got a neighbor even if on the same row the other seats are empty. Similar with E90.

I wish the seat block worked, and it was made "official", since it is my most valuable perk as everything else on a plane is useless in my value map. I rather take exit-row without neighbour on E90 without food, than a business class seat with a neighbour extending to my lap.
Don't know if this is a feature for flights with a lot of availability, an IT issue or a perk: I was flying an E90 with my colleague (on different reservations) yesterday from Kuopio. I had done my check in already the day before. She wasn't able to select the seat next to me as both my C seat as well as the A next to me appeared occupied. When I changed my seat selection to another row -vacating seat C- both the seats AC became available. When my colleague thereafter selected the A seat that just had become available I was able to take my original C seat next to her.

I'm AY Silver and she's not a member of any FF program and the plane was only half full.
Old Jul 21, 15, 4:16 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Yes, that's how it works: it prevents other customers on separate bookings from reserving the seat next to yours.

As such, AY+ elites are better off flying Y (possibly with a prepaid meal) than J on Embraer aircrafts And seat blocking seems to work even for the legroom seats
Old Jul 21, 15, 6:08 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Right, I just wouldn't have expected that the seat blocking would occur for the benefit of AY silvers. Therefore my primary guesses would have been something like "evening out the load for general comfort purposes" or an IT issue.
Old Jul 21, 15, 7:09 am

The seat blocking is not guaranteed in Y. I just flew back to HEL on a full plane, and there (of course) was no free seats anywhere. But when the plane is not full, my favorite is the exit seat with middle seat blocked
Old Jul 21, 15, 9:15 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OW Emerald
I've had 6 SH legs in Y (in economy pro) in past 2 weeks to Germany and Austria on both Finnair and ex-Flybe planes. I've not received neither offers for a newspaper nor blocked seats on any of those legs, even the flights have not been fully booked. Used to work in June and May but now during summer period something might have changed

Next flight tomorrow, so holding my breath already for a free Ilta-Sanomat and free seat next to me in wide body E190 :-)

I have AY plat card.
Old Jul 21, 15, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If you don't get offered, definitely ask for it. Is your FFP number on the booking?

Worst case scenario - show the CC your Plat card.
Old Jul 22, 15, 11:38 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OW Emerald
Hooray!
Now sitting on board DUS-HEL flight. Seat next to me: empty, Helsingin Sanomat: check.

Didn't have to flash my shiny card I re-earned with 80 SH and 4 LH (all in Y) legs.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
If you don't get offered, definitely ask for it. Is your FFP number on the booking?

Worst case scenario - show the CC your Plat card.
Old Aug 8, 15, 7:22 am

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, EBGold
Flew from Toronto to Helsinki in a rather full Biz-cabin yesterday. For the first time ever the purser came to say Hello and offered me a drink before the meal. Another FA asked for my meal preference before others. Used to this when flying Cathay but not with Finnair although been Plat for several years. Felt good 👍👍👍

Search this Thread
Search Engine: