AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Rifter
One unoffocial perk I like is the fast confirmation of upgrades to business.
Have not been the case for me though... Both as Gold and Plat. SH a little better than LH though...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
I might have been lucky thus far but every single upgrade request I've made as a Plat have been confirmed either instantly or withing 24h.
Only every fly SIN and HKG though, and usually Sat or Sun - so business heavy markets during weekends.
Though last 2 upgrades from/to HKG were Thu and Tue.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: Finnair Plus Platinum, OW emerald
Upgrades cleared fast - or not

I wonder what kind of algorithm is managing business upgrades. We (2 AY plats) bouhht HEL-HKG return in December and no award seats available. But more than 10 business seats available on website. Now still more than 8 seats available and upgrade still not cleared. I wonder what's the point here. The flight is in two months.

Does anyone know what would be a good time to ask to check the upgrade from customer service. Now there is about 1,5 months to the trip.

Most of the other flights have cleared in few days due to platinum status I presume.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:49 am

I wonder what kind of algorithm is managing business upgrades. We (2 AY plats) bouhht HEL-HKG return in December and no award seats available. But more than 10 business seats available on website. Now still more than 8 seats available and upgrade still not cleared. I wonder what's the point here. The flight is in two months.

Does anyone know what would be a good time to ask to check the upgrade from customer service. Now there is about 1,5 months to the trip.

Most of the other flights have cleared in few days due to platinum status I presume.
Nowadays it seems the waitlist upgrades are cleared a few days before the trip. CS claims there is nothing they can do in advance.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Rifter, there's a never-ending discussion of several pages here: Finnair, stop waitlisted upgrades!

I think the consensus here is that (1) we don't really know anything about the system logic, and (2) there is no consensus whether we like the system or not.

As Plat, your upgrade will most likely clear at some point, but it could take time and it's independent of actual J loads.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
Last Friday did have an interesting experience while flying CDG-HEL on AY1578. I had booked the exit row seat 10A, and while checking prior boarding the seat 10B was marked as "blocked" at the KVSTool. After the boarding complete announcement a VERY tall guy who had the seat 9B wanted to move to the middle seat 10B due the greater leg space on the A32B. The guy was seated there like 2 mins until the FA came to him telling to move to the similar seat at the other side of the aisle (10E). While the folks at the 10D and F did complain about the move, the FA stated firmly that "I got this order from the purser". Later during the drink service I did learn that the fellow at 10C was AYPlat as well. So clearly the crew wanted the middle seat between two Plats to remain free. ^
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Interestingly, FA did not ask him to move back to his original seat. While FA made a favor to him as a tall guy, and you as plats, not sure how others opinion about this
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Well, if ONLY "more than 8 seats" (9? 10?) available 2 months before flight, i find it reasonable, that AY does not clear upgrade, especially if the flight is likely already full of upgraders, as it was in my case. I had 18 seats available to HEL-SIN and still it was cleared only 2 weeks before flight. I am not Plat, but seems AY does still have preference of seats being sold for cash.

Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by Richey66
I am not Plat, but seems AY does still have preference of seats being sold for cash.
Which makes not really sense since points and vouchers also kind of "cash" - at least in the AY books. On the route I fly most (HEL-BKK) they rarely have a fully booked J cabin (most of the time they fill it up with Op-UPs), but I witnessed that they get way better bookings in J out of Thailand recently - also the SH cabin is mostly filled up by at least 40% - 50% of people with asian heritage. Guess they did pretty good marketing for J in Asia.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by Richey66
I am not Plat, but seems AY does still have preference of seats being sold for cash.
Same observation here, HEL-DEL this weekend, no upgrade availability but received today personal offer for cash upgrade. Half of J seats are still not taken.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Finnair Plus Platinum, OW emerald
Seat block for plats

Nice evidence of seat block for platinums. We were two plats travelling from Prague to Helsinki. I checked in first 2C and friend few minutes later 2A. The app showed for me that 2B is free and to my friend it showed occupied. This stayed same until next day before check in closed.

Too bad the block didn't hold but this time for good reason. Flight was fully booked and 95% travellers from Asia. I changed to the middle seat but the purser noticed it and didn't offer free magazine to the guy next to me 😅

2A plat 2B seat block 2C plat
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It actually only proves that on this flight, at some point in time, for your mate, this seat was shown as not selectable because the altea systmem decided it wanted to prevent him/her from selecting it.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Yesterday was actually the first time in ages that the seat block next to mine didn't hold on a non full plane. Might be because they changed the plane to a smaller ATR last minute - there were a lot of seat changes at the gate. Other than that Altea has been very good at balancing a blocked seat next to me.
ffay005 and LoungeEnthusiast like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Thank you AY for hockey tickets to U20 championship games in Turku 6.-10.2.2019! Nice surprise

Shame to Finnish "Posti" who delivered the envelope with tickets sent 30.01. from Helsinki today 18.2.2019!!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by Furry
Thank you AY for hockey tickets to U20 championship games in Turku 6.-10.2.2019! Nice surprise

Shame to Finnish "Posti" who delivered the envelope with tickets sent 30.01. from Helsinki today 18.2.2019!!
How do i get some love from AY? they never send me anything, except the card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.