Wiki Posts
Search

AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
Clarification on the drink/ newspaper service:
free drink is available on flights with Sky Bistro service (ie some routes in Europe/ Finland don't have it). Newspaper is not available on flights within Finland.
Benefit is valid for AY+ Platinum as well as OWE. We are aware that there are some hiccups with the consistency and are working on it
So this has been now changed. After I heard that OWE was denied complimentary drink this week (DBV-HEL in Y), I contacted AY Platinum desk twice (first by phone and then by email), and both times was told that free drink is only for AY Platinums, not for OWEs. Maybe something to keep in mind for non-AY OWEs, if any happens to follow this forum.

Below is the reply from AY in Finnish:
Ilmainen juoma Sky Bistrosta on vain Finnair Plus Platinum -jäsenille ja hänen perheelle kun matkustavat yhdessä Finnairin lipuilla, niillä lennoilla joissa Sky Bistro on saatavilla. Muiden yhtiöiden oneworld emeraldeille tämä etu ei ole käytettävissä.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by esledo
So this has been now changed. After I heard that OWE was denied complimentary drink this week (DBV-HEL in Y), I contacted AY Platinum desk twice (first by phone and then by email), and both times was told that free drink is only for AY Platinums, not for OWEs. Maybe something to keep in mind for non-AY OWEs, if any happens to follow this forum.

This is good to know.

I guess AY wants to save save save, looks like I Will just keep flying Star short hauls from now on.

Thanks for the heads up
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by esledo

I’m not sure this is correct as many OWEs have been provided with the complimentary drink. Finnair Plus representatives should clarify this benefit.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by lkrt

I’m not sure this is correct as many OWEs have been provided with the complimentary drink. Finnair Plus representatives should clarify this benefit.
Past Benefit (...) Is No Guarantee Of Future Results
Seriously, though - in the past I rarely had a seat mate as OWE and that changed sometime last year. Meanwhile, longhaul Eco Comfort benefits have been watered down left and right. I'm not the slightest surprised to learn the drink benefit has been "enhanced" from non-AY OWEs.
esledo likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
At least a newspaper was this morning brought to me at the beginning of the flight. I slept through the drinks service so can't comment on that, though!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Got champagne last week on HEL-ZRH as BA OWE. I do hope the benefit stays!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Wouldn't any differentiation between emerald and platinum require sales ipads to know the difference? IIRC, people have reported that emeralds and platinums have the same marker on ipad.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I asked my crew about it: they said no new protocols have been given and Emeralds get the same treatment as Platinums. Probably this is once again something of Janica’s ignorance and nothing else.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
In a sense I would be slitghly worried what is happening to alliances if in other end airlines try to wiggle out of OW-status lounge access or, set up proper lounges reserved for own pax/elites and mediocre lounges for OW. Though free drink is definately not a committed OW-benefit, moving such perk for purely own elites is one step closer to actually killing the whole OW. Well, on a larger scale, world is moving back towards protectionism, so why not airlines as well.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
In a sense I would be slitghly worried what is happening to alliances if in other end airlines try to wiggle out of OW-status lounge access or, set up proper lounges reserved for own pax/elites and mediocre lounges for OW. Though free drink is definately not a committed OW-benefit, moving such perk for purely own elites is one step closer to actually killing the whole OW. Well, on a larger scale, world is moving back towards protectionism, so why not airlines as well.
Oneworld isn‘t one anyway, as I am treated better on AY as a BA Gold / OWE (free drink, free baggage even on hand baggage only fare) whereas on BA I don‘t get either ...
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I asked my crew about it: they said no new protocols have been given and Emeralds get the same treatment as Platinums. Probably this is once again something of Janica’s ignorance and nothing else.
In this case I would find it very worrying that three AY staff members (FA + 2xCS) have said the same thing, especially when it was explicitly asked if this applies to AY Plats the same way as OWEs. Also, the agent I had on the phone also put me on hold and went to ask "from another department".

It is impossible to challenge this if FA denies as it is only word against word and AYs actions are not consistent.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Could be. Could also be a new(-ish) policy that hasn't "trickled down" just yet. AY isn't perfect when it comes to consistently offer perks, so I guess the revocation of perks could also be pretty inconsistent between crews.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
I agree totally with the sentiment.
But as you say, there are perks that are not committed alliance wide. And then how should an airline go about that? Like when AY decides to provide free drink to emeralds "in the spirit of the alliance", when there is no reciprocity from the other airlines, to offer AY platinums what their own elites get. One can argue AY does it to gain revenue from emeralds who could have flown another airline, but a bit far-fetched IMO.

And yes, sadly the world is moving in a protectionist direction and airlines too.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:24 pm

The free OWE drink was proactively offered today. The implementation took more than a year, so I guess the abolishing will take at least a year. Still hoping that rumours are not true.

is there still a AY representative here. It was (s)he who confirmed that the benefit is valid for OWE’s. Did the platinum desk say when the benefit was abolished.

Last edited by nordic; Sep 2, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by nordic
is there still a AY representative here. It was (s)he who confirmed that the benefit is valid for OWE’s?
Answering to my own question. I searched FinnairPlus profile. (S)he was online the 24 Aug 2018 even though no new posts have appeared in a year.

After writing this post I just realised that FinnairPlus logs in in order to see if there are private mails. At least now there is one waiting.

Last edited by nordic; Sep 2, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.