AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Each new tier comes with new vouchers, but only if you climb the tiers. Not when renewing plat.

Renewing plat does not mean you go via gold. Only if you fail to renew plat, you will be downgraded to Gold at year end, and then get 4SH vouchers for next year.
So a fresh climber will gain more vouchers than someone renewing the status over the year (but ofc spend less time with the actual status). Kind of an "antiperk" IMHO, at least for me who values vouchers a lot as my company has all Y policy.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
We are off topic, because this is not an elite soft perk, this is how the system oficially works.

It is the (possibly unforseen) effect of the tier system that was introduced 2010, where you gain the new tier instantly and not at year end. I guess you can see it as an anitperk. Or you could see it as something nice for some flyers (and a really strong incentive to push for plat!)

Very few people wants to go back to the CX system, where you qualify for a tier and get reset to zero before you can continue the climb to next tier.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Who says anti-perk? I traded the 35k missing points to Plat last week, promptly used my 4 new Plat SH vouchers, as I had already used up the 4 Gold ones. And I am now pondering how to spend the 2 LH vouchers before end of this month

If I manage to spend all 6 extras, plus the 2 LH extras next year, I get back roughly 160k points worth, not eveb counting the extra 10% tier points. If I don't even reach 90k next year and soft-land to Gold, I get another extra 4 SH vouchers in 13 months!

105k award points well spent, I think. Although some amateur-level mistake made me loose 10k tier this year - so 40k award points went in flames (30 traded + 10 not earned).
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TTL
Recently on HEL-LPA received one drink on the house (gin and tonic) for myself and spouse.
Are the complimentary drinks a new thing? For me, LHR-HEL flight yesterday was the first time they offered.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by aapee
Are the complimentary drinks a new thing? For me, LHR-HEL flight yesterday was the first time they offered.
Happened also me during the past week, first in HEL-BCN and then BCN-HEL. No newspapers any longer but when the drink service is started, they came to inform me that all drinks are complimentary for me.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:10 pm

Well, as a non-Finnish non-Swedish speaker, I guess that would be an improvement
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Well, as a non-Finnish non-Swedish speaker, I guess that would be an improvement
The very few times when I've been offered a paper, they always had a Financial Times at hand. But I agree, the free drinks perk is better
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Asked the FA about it yesterday, apparently, this is a new practice - one free drink per plat.

On different flights they seem to handle this differently - on my previous flight they proactively offered the drink. Yesterday LHR-HEL I ordered a champagne and a cucumber water (sparkling water not sold in Y any more), started paying with a finnair platinum diners card, the FA asked the other one if this was the "highest level card" and after that offered the champagne for free, but still charged for the water.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
DEL-HEL in Y+, newspaper (Iltasanomat) was waiting on my seat. Champagne for free after asking about it. No other tier recognition whatsoever.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:17 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Now, I'm disappointed being Gold. Again, nothing on my flight, this time from LHR to HEL. No newspaper, not even a hello in Y. Maybe I was expecting too much after several years of Silver life. Luckily I should hit Platinum by the end of this month.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
The very few times when I've been offered a paper, they always had a Financial Times at hand. But I agree, the free drinks perk is better
I don't care much for FT. But most annoyingly, every time I ask for a French language newspaper ex-BRU, AY purser gives me De Standaard. Next up is HEL-BRU-ZYR-XDB//XDB-CDG-HEL, so maybe they would have only FT anyway.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I don't care much for FT.

Oooooh you meant FT....
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Maybe I was expecting too much after several years of Silver life.
I need to ask what did you really expect? As a Plat I have done several AY flights in Y and J, both s/h and l/h, and I've got recognition of any kind only on couple of those. Occassionally it's been a newspaper handed out and not so often some extra words from the purser or FA. As a Gold I got newspaper maybe twice and got to say life isn't much different as a Plat so far.

Still to experience this new "drink benefit", so far the only experience was getting nothing apart of blueberry juice on my OUL flights I had a week ago.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:21 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by esledo
I need to ask what did you really expect?
One can find the answer in my previous post:

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
No newspaper, not even a hello in Y.
Is it really so difficult to give out an overprized newspaper for free of charge with a smile and make a customer feel welcome? Small things matter.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by esledo
Still to experience this new "drink benefit", so far the only experience was getting nothing apart of blueberry juice on my OUL flights I had a week ago.
Does AY cateriong load alcoholic drinks on domestic fligths?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.