AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I am not sure there even is a seat block in J at all. It would only make sense on Brazilian planes.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:36 am

I was actually talking to finnair cs yesterday about seat block. Apparently it is automatic for plats and golds, but is overridden in certain cases. At least in ecoomy comfort it doesn't apply to checkin/gate/inflight sold upgrades. Probably there are other cases too.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by reflektia
I was actually talking to finnair cs yesterday about seat block. Apparently it is automatic for plats and golds, but is overridden in certain cases. At least in ecoomy comfort it doesn't apply to checkin/gate/inflight sold upgrades. Probably there are other cases too.
If it is automatic, it obviously can be overriden by anyone at check-in, at gate, probably even by your neighbour, that often the seat next to me has been occupied. Last time a couple of weeks ago (A319) the couple sitting on the middle and window seat next to me didn't even have any kind of status, though there were plenty of vacant seats further back in the plane! In my opinion the system as a whole is totally rotten.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
If it is automatic, it obviously can be overriden by anyone at check-in, at gate, probably even by your neighbour, that often the seat next to me has been occupied. Last time a couple of weeks ago (A319) the couple sitting on the middle and window seat next to me didn't even have any kind of status, though there were plenty of vacant seats further back in the plane! In my opinion the system as a whole is totally rotten.
Yea, in my experience it "works" very occasionally. Eg. it worked quite for 3 flights in a row (intra-eu) and now it has been broken for 2 flights. Granted, one of them was very full, probably one or two seats free at maximum.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If it can be overridden easily, then it is totally useless. Even counter productive. In my case there are 5 rows of J, row 3-5 without pax. Yet someone is allowed to take my blocked 1C and blk me.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:33 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Another "horror" flight with AY. Don't know why this always happens to me – bad karma I guess. (If I didn't have a AY FF tier card I probably would have ended flying AY already since I can get similar service on LCCs, too.)

So, I flew TXL-HEL and was seated next to a Platinum, first row in Y. Once boarding was completed, the Platinum asked for a newspaper as it wasn't offered pro-actively by CC. CC said they don't have any extra, no apologies (there were plenty in J at least). No personalised welcome to Platinum either. When Platinum asked if a hand carry could be placed in J section since there were no more space in the over-head lockers, CC replied not-so-nicely way: "Put it under the seat in front of you." When service started Platinum ordered some champagne. "12 euro", CC required straight. I think CC could have offered that drink.

Then it was my turn: when I requested our prepaid meals (chicken w/ mashed potatoes and creamy cheese sauce) that I had ordered a week before, I was told that they don't have them. I then asked if I could choose something from the Sky Bistro for 24 euros I had paid already. It wasn't possible since they didn't have any food onboard, only drinks. I would have expected some small goodwill gesture in this point. But no. Instead, I was told how lucky I'm that the flight is so short that I don't starve to death. The short flying time wasn't the point really. CC couldn't understand that I preordered the meal because a) I knew I won't have time to eat properly in TXL after breakfast, b) this was an evening flight and arrival time to HEL would be very late to start finding food, and c) the meal was supposed to make my life easier. Now, first thing I had to do in HEL was to find some food. A peace of mind that AY is trying to offer? You can decide.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Another "horror" flight with AY. Don't know why this always happens to me – bad karma I guess. (If I didn't have a AY FF tier card I probably would have ended flying AY already since I can get similar service on LCCs, too.)

So, I flew TXL-HEL and was seated next to a Platinum, first row in Y. Once boarding was completed, the Platinum asked for a newspaper as it wasn't offered pro-actively by CC. CC said they don't have any extra, no apologies (there were plenty in J at least). No personalised welcome to Platinum either. When Platinum asked if a hand carry could be placed in J section since there were no more space in the over-head lockers, CC replied not-so-nicely way: "Put it under the seat in front of you." When service started Platinum ordered some champagne. "12 euro", CC required straight. I think CC could have offered that drink.

Then it was my turn: when I requested our prepaid meals (chicken w/ mashed potatoes and creamy cheese sauce) that I had ordered a week before, I was told that they don't have them. I then asked if I could choose something from the Sky Bistro for 24 euros I had paid already. It wasn't possible since they didn't have any food onboard, only drinks. I would have expected some small goodwill gesture in this point. But no. Instead, I was told how lucky I'm that the flight is so short that I don't starve to death. The short flying time wasn't the point really. CC couldn't understand that I preordered the meal because a) I knew I won't have time to eat properly in TXL after breakfast, b) this was an evening flight and arrival time to HEL would be very late to start finding food, and c) the meal was supposed to make my life easier. Now, first thing I had to do in HEL was to find some food. A peace of mind that AY is trying to offer? You can decide.
I really hope that you send a complaint/feedback to AY customer service about this!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler

TBH, next time take AB operated flight. Way better service than AY. Only downside is that BA lounge is quite far away. I nowadays try to always take AB operated flight after my initial experience and I've never been disappointed.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I find the handling of your pre-order food terribly bad.

Typical AY, though. Some service concept manager in HQ decides on a concept, leaving the inflight implementation to chance. Even if there was a delivery failure outside of Finnair's control, they should have routines in place to handle such a situation.

For instance, purser has the authority to issue "Service failure vouchers", why not approach traveller proactively, apologize for the incident and on the spot issue a 40€ check?

Instead inflight staff refuse to assume any responsibility on behalf of the company, fail to deliver a bought and promised service, and finally leave the customer to his own devices. Now a paying customer needs to fight with the complaint desk over 24€, which probably will be refunded 2 months later without an apology and without any change in the service culture.

The process itself will cost AY 200€ in handling, not to mention the loss from future ancillary sales.

And the basic problem isn't even a money issue. It is the failure to understand that cabin crew are the face of the company, the one true marketing channel to the customers.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Just curious, was this a NORRA operated service or Finnair's own?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:35 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
Just curious, was this a NORRA operated service or Finnair's own?
It was Finnair's own flight. I've usually found service better on flights operated by Norra.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Since we're on the subject of N°RRA.. Now that they have taken over things does anyone know if they started serving booze on the TLL flights again like Flybe did?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Since we're on the subject of N°RRA.. Now that they have taken over things does anyone know if they started serving booze on the TLL flights again like Flybe did?
No - no service at least a couple of weeks ago
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by reflektia
TBH, next time take AB operated flight. Way better service than AY. Only downside is that BA lounge is quite far away. I nowadays try to always take AB operated flight after my initial experience and I've never been disappointed.
AB service (for AY plats) seems to vary a lot on different flights, but yeah - do agree.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
AB leaves from the wrong terminal for either lounges (Oneworld/BA or contracted/AF) at TXL. Also at TXL, I was denied priority boarding even though I had OWS. And of course earnings to AY+ are much worse than from AY; some cheap Y not even earning at all.

AB preorder meals are worse than AY in my opinion.

AB is usually cheaper though. YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.