AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Old Sep 11, 15, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by niksal View Post
The free drink seems to be inspired by what SAS does for their Diamonds. A bit dull that airlines only copy eachother. Who wants to be that within a year Finnair also provides newspapers via their app?
When Finnair builds their loyalty team with former SAS employees, then copying is kind of given.

Anyway, loyalty management isn't just about giving away perks. There is a fine line to walk. Make Y travel too comfy for frequent flyers and you'll end up with J that no one buys.
Old Sep 11, 15, 1:21 pm

Programs: SK EBg/baEC G/MR P/A3 *G/CC G/HH D/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
When Finnair builds their loyalty team with former SAS employees, then copying is kind of given.

Anyway, loyalty management isn't just about giving away perks. There is a fine line to walk. Make Y travel too comfy for frequent flyers and you'll end up with J that no one buys.
I doubt Y travel will ever be comfy but it could be bearable

There are many who will never pay for J (I might be one) but do fly a couple of Y flights too many a year 😂 ay offers a fairly decent Y package I just wish the drinks were free for elites beyond the one beer 😂
Old Sep 12, 15, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone know if the free drink is only for AY+ Plats, or for OWEs as well?

With the first Feuillatte free, I think I could survive a LHR-HEL or two in an exit row seat that way.
Old Sep 12, 15, 6:39 am

Programs: AY GUEST
Former SAS employees?
Old Sep 12, 15, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
I'm thinking of Johanna Jäkälä: 2 years with SK, then 4 years with Blue1. Now Finnair customer loyalty Director.
Another example is Juha Järvinen: 11 years with SK, 4 years with Blue1. Now Chief Commercial officer.
Old Sep 13, 15, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
I agree. Keeping in mind equip swaps, I don't mind burning shorthaul upgrades to be sitted in 2-2 E90 with someone big, as opposed to legroom Y seat. Happened to me once (A320->E90), and since then, I haven't upgraded shorthaul
Old Sep 17, 15, 1:57 am
Original Poster

I just had an interesting experience on arrival to HEL. I tried to access Schengen lounge on arrival, as it has been an unofficial perk for Plats for a long time. The dragon told me it is only to use the showers. Well I told I was just going to wait for colleaques for a while and I did not need a shower (or was I smelling???). So she turned me away.

I must say it is a nice touch to offer this soft perk, but YMMV
Old Sep 17, 15, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
I just had an interesting experience on arrival to HEL. I tried to access Schengen lounge on arrival, as it has been an unofficial perk for Plats for a long time. The dragon told me it is only to use the showers. Well I told I was just going to wait for colleaques for a while and I did not need a shower (or was I smelling???). So she turned me away.

I must say it is a nice touch to offer this soft perk, but YMMV
Maybe you misunderstood - access only if you use the shower first
Old Sep 17, 15, 12:34 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Was flying HEL-PRG and vice versa few days ago with colleague. I had already made OLCI the following evening booking a window seat (A) with OWS in reservation. When she was making check-in at the airport without any FFP in reservation it showed BC as occupied. When she entered her AY Gold number to reservation BC was free. So it seems, that if 2 people have status, they can override the block.

For me, seat block has never worked on exit seats, always 3 in a row..
Old Sep 18, 15, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
Maybe you misunderstood - access only if you use the shower first
It was no biggie, I did not want to invent a story. However, she was very nervous to turn me away.

Better would be that they allow full access or no access. Now you can enter by saying password shower and then just take a champ shower, no one follows up.

I don't think many people would use this perk anyway to drive AY bankcrupt
Old Sep 18, 15, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Another shorthaul "N Nasty class. Your unofficial soft perk newspaper did not arrive." experience:

On inbound flight I offered to swap my 9A seat with a statusless colleaques 8B on A321 exitrows to offer her a window. This lead to cabin attendant ignoring me when she was handing out newspapers. Nor did my colleaque get one, probably she was reading by name that this is not a correct person on 9A seat.

On outbound I did get one. The cabin attendant was trolleying down with magazines and stopped at exit row, looking long at the manifest, then asking me "you are emerald, would like a newspaper?". I took one, but I felt it a bit awkward the way she did it so that everybody was staring
Old Sep 18, 15, 2:41 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
They also do that for AY+Gold. Usually, they call out my family name (or the first half of it), not my status, though
Old Sep 18, 15, 3:12 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum
In August the FA just stopped at my seat and asked if I'd like to have a newspaper. Didn't call my name or mentioned my status, just asked if I want a paper or not... I did take the Financial Times
Old Sep 20, 15, 9:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
I saw a mention here that AY+ Plat members can access Finnair lounges in HEL even without a OW flight. What about other airports and their OW lounges? Especially SIN, BKK and CGK as I travel through them a lot with local budget airlines. Any chance in getting in to Qantas lounge in SIN when flying Thai Airways this afternoon..?
Old Sep 20, 15, 9:09 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Unsub View Post
I saw a mention here that AY+ Plat members can access Finnair lounges in HEL even without a OW flight. What about other airports and their OW lounges? Especially SIN, BKK and CGK as I travel through them a lot with local budget airlines. Any chance in getting in to Qantas lounge in SIN when flying Thai Airways this afternoon..?
None whatsoever.

I see you're a fellow Plat. Try status matching and you'll get *A lounge access.

Ps. I wouldn't consider TG a budget airline

Search this Thread
Search Engine: