Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Delay problems of AY69 / AY99 HEL-HKG

Delay problems of AY69 / AY99 HEL-HKG

Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:04 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
If this is "protocol" then they've really upped the ante. Proactively offering re-route on other airlines is a far cry from the old SOP where all handling was left to a tired employee at transfer desk, unwilling to do anything at 11pm when pax arrived HEL on their connections.
Obviously cannot comment if this is any protocol, my friend who is in coach (no status, upgrade waitlisted) hasn't got anything from AY as of yet. No SMS, nothing. Delay was published an hour ago -3pm local here so maybe they are informing/checking options by some order, which would make sense.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
If this is "protocol" then they've really upped the ante. Proactively offering re-route on other airlines is a far cry from the old SOP where all handling was left to a tired employee at transfer desk, unwilling to do anything at 11pm when pax arrived HEL on their connections.
Might be a status thing - when there were a strike threat (just a threat at the time) a call to CS resulted in a reroute HEL-LHR-NRT in C, without any questions. The CS was most worried about finding available C.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:20 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Just to add a comment to intuition's point. I have no experience with major delays with HEL connections yet but some years ago I was booked on 6 from JFK and the flight was cancelled that day, 5 also. I was on paid J ticket that time, plat too. AY called me, actually woke me up at my hotel in NY and offered to reroute on AA/AY via BRU, J all the way..I happily accepted so they have done these in the past, too. Re-routes exHEL, however, are often more difficult for many reasons, as we all know..
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, my view is based on 2 major incidents in the past - one on sixty-niner and one on 74. Not going to drag on about it, I'm just happy if they generally are proactive and service-minded towards FF regardless of ticket type and origin these days.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Last year, CS called me in the previous evening to solicit invol reroute because of oversell from down-gauging: AY/I,AA/Y HEL-CDG-MIA instead of 2xAA/O HEL-LHR-MIA. So yes, it happens.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Off to ARN this mornibg abd a farmilian flights number showing delayed again Till 0800... Just after someone at Work yesterday asked me If There was a single route that came to mind as a frequent delay 😁😁😁
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AY LUMO
So, last night we said good bye to six-niner.

Now we're monitoring how is niner-niner going to fill those 69rs irrop -shoes.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
"How late can sixty-niner be?" is the Finnair version of "How long is a string?"

I have no doubt that double-nine will fill the shoes and perform admirably in the bottom 5% of all commercial flights for years to come! ^
Attached Images  
ffay005 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Finnair

And here are the stats for double-nine when it flew the second slot on HKG, same time period (15.th Aug - 15.th Oct.). It isn't the destination or the flight-number that causes the delay... Watch these stats crash in the next 6 months!
Attached Images  
ffay005 and fishball like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Are the statistics really that bad? Oh my! I thought there was discussion some time ago about improvements re:AY69.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

I think there is actual improvement. Those flightstats grades are usually even lower, like 0,1-0,5 stars out of 5.
The 8h delays several times a month quickly pushes the average delay to the bottom 2% of the industry. But if there is one less such delay every month, then the score also quickly improves.

But there are also many shorter delays, usually having an ontime quota of say 50% or lower. That part seems to have improved drastically to 75%, while Finnair on total has fallen to an ontime of 84,8% (Still ranked #3 in major european airlines, for example SK 85,6%, D8 70,4%, LH70,2% , BA74,0%)

The combined performance (avg delay and ontime stats) still points to this flight being industry worst, and since it is controlled by policy rather than circumstances, nothing will change.

--
Ontime meaning 14 minutes or less delayed at gate arrival

Last edited by intuition; Oct 30, 2017 at 2:40 am
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Unhappy AY99 - unreliable by design??

I didn't realize it is a such perennial problem (as AY69) until I found this thread but I flew AY99 4x this year (including one this past Thursday 21/6) and every single flight arrived in HKG around 3 to 4 hours late (which unfortunately is not considered 'late' under EC261, if i understand it correctly)! Then again I guess I should be grateful(?) because I look it up just now and today AY99 will depart 9 hours later than scheduled ....

Does anyone know why AY99 has such a bad on-time performance? I understand A359 may not be reliable but I presume AY rotates its A359 and I don't think other AY A359 routes suffer as extensively as AY99? And this gets me thinking ... is it possible that AY99 is unreliable by design? Meaning that once an A359 lands/on its way back to HEL and AY realizes the plane might have an issue/require a longer maintenance, then oh, lets assign that A359 to AY99 just in case ...

(and yes, as you can see, I'm a cynical person )

Last edited by Rivarix; Jun 24, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Does anyone know why AY99 has such a bad on-time performance? I understand A359 may not be reliable but I presume AY rotates its A359 and I don't think other AY A359 routes suffer as extensively as AY99?
The reason behind is that whenever AY is lacking an A359 they can still operate all the flights by postponing AY99 to the morning. HEL - HKG - HEL can be done in a 24 hour rotation and AY101/102 do that, but due to connections AY99/100 operate with a 32 hour rotation. If AY is one A359 short, they wait until AY100 or AY132 land in HEL the following morning and turn that plane back to HKG. It can still make AY100 back in time because the plane would stand idle in HKG for the evening. Because this is the typical way for AY to handle the shortage of A359's, it happens far too often.

This morning OH-LWK went tech in BKK. It managed to fly to HEL 6 hours late, but looks like it's not in shape to continue flying, so AY is (again) one A359 short - and they apply the usual remedy, postpone AY99 to the morning.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Finnair

It is by design, due to above said rotations. AY clearly finds it practical and without major downsides. Pax delay is of no concern.

And it is not because of A359, this has been going on for ages.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Today PEK AY85 took plane from AY99.

SIN131 recently also delayed until next morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.