Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair seat selection as AA EXP [oneworld Emerald]

Finnair seat selection as AA EXP [oneworld Emerald]

Old Nov 23, 13, 2:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Programs: TK Elite Plus
Posts: 126
Finnair seat selection as AA EXP [oneworld Emerald]

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, a quick search did not yield anything. I have JFK-HEL on Finnair, and after getting the Finnair PNR from AA, I tried online seat selection, but pretty much all seats needs payment. Is this the norm?
dipthought is offline  
Old Nov 23, 13, 4:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fll/mia/bkk
Programs: AA explt, 4.9m
Posts: 198
I just did 4 segments on Finnair in Europe. I wasn't able to get exit row seats without paying, but was able to pick everything else for free. Had rows 6 and 7 on all flights.
paullgo is offline  
Old Nov 23, 13, 4:57 pm
  #3  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, England
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Posts: 9,140
As this question pertains to flights operated by Finnair, I am going to move it to the Finnair Plus forum, where the experts can hopefully shed some light on the subject. In so doing I have also updated the thread title to reflect the oneworld status equivalent.

~Microwave
AAdvantage Forum Co-moderator
Microwave is offline  
Old Nov 23, 13, 5:26 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Posts: 3,443
Call Finnair. Then call AA and ask for oneworld support.

If they allow their top tier flyers to reserve exit row seats they must allow Emeralds to do it as well. Looking at Finnair's pages, they seem to indicate this:

http://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/flight...lect-your-seat
http://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/finnai...mbership-tiers

just becuase the webpage doesnt allow it doesnt mean it cant be done. Indeed, if AA told me it was a violation of the oneworld agreement, Id pay for it then charge it back.
Exec_Plat is offline  
Old Nov 23, 13, 8:11 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 9,567
I had 4 finnair flights in Oct and as a CX gold was able to select exits and bulkheads for free, even on the trans Atlantic flights. Nice.
Altaflyer is offline  
Old Nov 23, 13, 8:36 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Posts: 5,080
If you have a Finnair flight number and your AA EXP card is in the booking, you are able to select seats online free of charge. I had a case where the AY site tried to charge me for a European flight. This glitch was fixed by their web support, so if this is your case, just give them a call. If you are lucky, you get a really good agent. Call +358 9 818 1611.

However, if you have an AA flight number, you might be out of luck. Some travellers have reported that they have succeeded in selecting seats on AY's homepage for AA-flight numbers, but it doesn't seem to work all the time. A phone call might or might not help.

Basic rule number one for me is: never codeshare, no matter what the marketing department tries to make us believe. It's always a hassle of some sort.
ffay005 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 13, 9:06 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 498
Finnair seat selection as AA EXP [oneworld Emerald]

I've done 4 finnair flights in November JFK-HEL and back and have two more in December. All booked as AA codeshares.

I'm AA plat and for each flight I've been able to pick exits and bulkheads through finnair.com without paying anything. For all of my flights I'm either 41C or 41J.

If any one wants seat advice for AY's A333 just holler.
ahcjar103 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 13, 9:26 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 16,526
This thread here in the AA forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-you-bet.html Advanced search does work
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Dec 3, 13, 9:53 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tampere
Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,059
Just another data point: today I made a booking on finnair.com and entered my BA (Gold -- OW Emerald) FF number. After confirming I went back to 'My Booking' to select seats. The tool wanted to charge me. I rang up the Finnair Plus Gold helpline and the very friendly, very helpful chap there assigned me the exit row / extra legspace seats I had chosen, at no charge.

cheers,

Henry
henry999 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 13, 9:22 pm
  #10  
formerly cAAribmorpho
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 390
Another data point: I flew HEL-LHR on AY 2 days ago and did mobile check-in about 12 hours prior. I am AA PLT and booked the flight under the AA flight number (frequent flyer number on the reservation). I was able to choose an exit row seat upon check-in, no additional fee required.
WanderingGent is offline  
Old Dec 7, 13, 12:42 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,388
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
If you have a Finnair flight number and your AA EXP card is in the booking, you are able to select seats online free of charge. I had a case where the AY site tried to charge me for a European flight. This glitch was fixed by their web support, so if this is your case, just give them a call. If you are lucky, you get a really good agent. Call +358 9 818 1611.

However, if you have an AA flight number, you might be out of luck. Some travellers have reported that they have succeeded in selecting seats on AY's homepage for AA-flight numbers, but it doesn't seem to work all the time. A phone call might or might not help.

Basic rule number one for me is: never codeshare, no matter what the marketing department tries to make us believe. It's always a hassle of some sort.
I got an e-mail from Finnair a month out before our trip to allow us to select our seats etc. Had not problems doing so, and the web site even reminded us that as an OW Emerald, I was entitled to an extra checked bag. All of this using my AA FF#, of course.
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Dec 8, 13, 7:34 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Posts: 5,080
Originally Posted by henry999 View Post
Just another data point: today I made a booking on finnair.com and entered my BA (Gold -- OW Emerald) FF number. After confirming I went back to 'My Booking' to select seats. The tool wanted to charge me. I rang up the Finnair Plus Gold helpline and the very friendly, very helpful chap there assigned me the exit row / extra legspace seats I had chosen, at no charge.

cheers,

Henry
They've got some kind of bug in their system (again). I had the same problem (AA PLT) with HEL-ARN-HEL seats yesterday.

The e-helpdesk guy assigned me the seats and promised to look into the matter. We tried other bookings as well, where I had previously assigned the seats myself free of charge. The my booking -system now wanted to charge for those as well...
ffay005 is offline  
Old Dec 10, 13, 10:08 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA / San Francisco, CA
Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Posts: 1,150
I've (BA Gold for OWE) done the seat selection a few times now through Finnairs Facebook page. Always sorted within 10 minutes.
dera is offline  
Old Dec 15, 13, 2:30 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Programs: TK Elite Plus
Posts: 126
Originally Posted by dera View Post
I've (BA Gold for OWE) done the seat selection a few times now through Finnairs Facebook page. Always sorted within 10 minutes.
Thanks. Still cant selected via AY website, just posted on their FB page. Lets see how that works
dipthought is offline  
Old Dec 24, 13, 1:52 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RBKC
Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Posts: 3,210
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
If you have a Finnair flight number and your AA EXP card is in the booking, you are able to select seats online free of charge. I had a case where the AY site tried to charge me for a European flight. This glitch was fixed by their web support, so if this is your case, just give them a call. If you are lucky, you get a really good agent. Call +358 9 818 1611.
Just booked on the Finnair website, and entered my AA frequent flyer number (OWE). All segments are on AY with AY flight numbers. It's still asking me to pay for seat selection

The office is shut right now but I will ring when it opens -- hopefully that will do it!

Last edited by ExpatExp; Dec 24, 13 at 9:35 pm
ExpatExp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: