Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair seat selection as One World Emerald

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair seat selection as One World Emerald

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Yes, they will. But the website might not be able to assign you seats for free. If that's the case, you'll need to call in.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just following up... Yes, had no trouble selecting exit row seats for myself as OWE and companions during booking process.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Data point:
I (OWE) was successfully able to select Economy Comfort seats on HEL-ORD by calling in this morning, but my traveling companion (OWS on a separate reservation) could only be assigned a regular economy seat. Last year, in the exact same situation, I had no problem selecting an Economy Comfort seat for her as well. According to the Finnair phone agent, Sapphires now must wait until T-24 for free Economy Comfort selection.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:58 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by andox
Data point:
I (OWE) was successfully able to select Economy Comfort seats on HEL-ORD by calling in this morning, but my traveling companion (OWS on a separate reservation) could only be assigned a regular economy seat. Last year, in the exact same situation, I had no problem selecting an Economy Comfort seat for her as well. According to the Finnair phone agent, Sapphires now must wait until T-24 for free Economy Comfort selection.
This is because policy changed. Only Emeralds get free comfort seat, since july 1 or so. I'm surprised they said it would be free for OWS at check in - I think that statement is incorrect (but am happy to be proven wrong).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by intuition
This is because policy changed. Only Emeralds get free comfort seat, since july 1 or so. I'm surprised they said it would be free for OWS at check in - I think that statement is incorrect (but am happy to be proven wrong).
Thank you. Good to know. I'll follow up with a definite answer.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:06 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Forgive me, but I see this also as positive differentiation within the Plus-scheme.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:05 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by TTL
Forgive me, but I see this also as positive differentiation within the Plus-scheme.
Same here.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I find that this is bending with the Oneworld rules, and I don't think this is an improvement. Sure it creates differentation. But there are not that many Golds that Emeralds would lose their chance to get the comfort seats. And Emeralds tend to seat in business class (especially on long-haul), so this benefit is of limited or no use to many Emeralds.

This is most certainly just for the monies.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I find that this is bending with the Oneworld rules, and I don't think this is an improvement. Sure it creates differentation. But there are not that many Golds that Emeralds would lose their chance to get the comfort seats. And Emeralds tend to seat in business class (especially on long-haul), so this benefit is of limited or no use to many Emeralds.

Not really sure OW rules demands all seats made available to elites, just that "if advance seat reservation is offered, it should be free for elites".
I agree that as a flyer it would be much better if the alliance actually offered a consistency. But we all know it doesn't and that it is getting worse by the day.

And of course it is about money - Finnair has an aggressive target for ancillary revenue. It grew 17% Year-on-year and they now collect 11€/pax. Over the years this will be more and more important revenue stream as the dig themselves deeper and deeper into the hopeless strategy "legacy pricing, LCC service"...
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
This OWS seat lock policy is no different than what BA has been doing for years. Non-BA OWS are not able to select e.g. Exit rows.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

BA is even worse. Non-BAEC elites are not allowed to access seat selection until much later IIRC, rendering the ASR perk pretty useless.

Strange alliance where protective measures are taken towards your so called partners.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by Courmisch

Tall Emeralds flying OW short haul now fly in Y to get legroom in the exit rows.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by intuition
BA is even worse. Non-BAEC elites are not allowed to access seat selection until much later IIRC, rendering the ASR perk pretty useless.

Strange alliance where protective measures are taken towards your so called partners.
As an AA PLT, I have been able to pre-reserve on BA.COM and at online checkin 24 hours before departure of the first flight,and I can do it for a connecting flight then. I have been able to selects exit row seats for no additional charge. I assume EXP/Emeralds can select the exit rows for no charge when they book.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I’ve got a couple of segments on AY coming up which are AA codeshares - I’ve got the AY PNR but finnair.com says I can’t be assigned seats because they are not operated by Finnair.

AA EXP agent #1 wanted to charge $50 to take over the reservation to book seats since it was made through a corporate travel agent. Nope! HUACA.

The second agent wanted to help but it wouldn’t let her - she read off the rules which stated that Finnair does not allow seat assignments for codeshares including premium cabins.

I will call Finnair next, hopefully they will help, but they have limited hours on the USA number. I don’t think my Finnish is good enough for a phone call!

Will update on what happens as this is new for me and not documented in this thread.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
I’ve got a couple of segments on AY coming up which are AA codeshares - I’ve got the AY PNR but finnair.com says I can’t be assigned seats because they are not operated by Finnair.

AA EXP agent #1 wanted to charge $50 to take over the reservation to book seats since it was made through a corporate travel agent. Nope! HUACA.

The second agent wanted to help but it wouldn’t let her - she read off the rules which stated that Finnair does not allow seat assignments for codeshares including premium cabins.

I will call Finnair next, hopefully they will help, but they have limited hours on the USA number. I don’t think my Finnish is good enough for a phone call!

Will update on what happens as this is new for me and not documented in this thread.
This is a known glitch that is supposed to be fixed "sometime this month". When you call they will tell you they've assigned you the seat you requested, but it may not stick and best of luck. It does stick, though

Oh - and you don't have to call - you can use the website chat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.