Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

will i make connection: 55 minutes RVN-HEL-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c

I've looked through earlier threads (seemed to be all non-Schengen to Schengen; whereas my route is the reverse). saw that finnair says 40min with 'leisure flights' being 75min. the RVN-HEL is AY440 so i think this counts as 'non-leisure'.

US citizen. I am flying on a revenue ticket RVN to HEL with an award ticket HEL-LHR-thereafter so unless the two can be combined, they are separate PNRs. first let is AY, second leg BA. will only have carryon luggage. reasonably mobile. any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:42 pm

Most but perhaps not all RVN flights have a gate arrival. that helps. BA flights usually close quite Late ( 10 min before departure time). No need for a new security screen. If your inbound will have a delay less than 15 minutes you should be fine. In the early morning there usually are short queus to passport controls. Try to get a Seat in front of the RVN plane. the schedulded arrival times of AY 440 seem to vary a lot, how much time do you have btwcthe flights?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
thanks. i'm nervous just thinking about it....but sounds like i should be ok.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA, AY, SK
You will be fine, barring any signifigant delays on the first leg. I've been on numerous AY ticketed trips with <60min connection time. Just get going straight to the departure gate when you get to HEL.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
HEL was a dream to connect at yesterday and a few weeks ago.

We did HAN-HEL-LHR yesterday with a 45 minute connection (albeit on the same PNR). From disembarking, to being through security, customs and arriving at the G37 lounge took less than 15 minutes.

On the way out we flew BUD-HEL-SIN with a 70 minute connection and had a similar experience.

HEL is small and efficient so like a couple of the others have said, unless your inbound flight is late you should be through easily enough with plenty of time to shop, or have a drink in the lounge...

The Fiance and I were both really impressed with HEL (and AY for that matter).
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by sdorling

We did HAN-HEL-LHR yesterday with a 45 minute connection (albeit on the same PNR). From disembarking, to being through security, customs and arriving at the G37 lounge took less than 15 minutes.

On the way out we flew BUD-HEL-SIN with a 70 minute connection and had a similar experience.

HEL is small and efficient so like a couple of the others have said, unless your inbound flight is late you should be through easily enough with plenty of time to shop, or have a drink in the lounge...

The Fiance and I were both really impressed with HEL (and AY for that matter).
My personal best is 7 minutes connection within Schengen area. If there is a bus transportation from RVN plane to terminal, you can add additional 10 minutes. Passport control takes 5 mins, so total transfer schengen -> non-schengen can be done 15 -25 minutes with running.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by panxta
My personal best is 7 minutes connection within Schengen area. If there is a bus transportation from RVN plane to terminal, you can add additional 10 minutes. Passport control takes 5 mins, so total transfer schengen -> non-schengen can be done 15 -25 minutes with running.
And like many posters adviced before, your main problem here will be the RVN plane being late, not the actual transfer time at HEL.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by panxta
My personal best is 7 minutes connection within Schengen area. ...
I clocked myself once, schengen to non-schengen. Late arrival at gate 30, and from exiting the plane to gate 37 it took 4 minutes 30 seconds. Fast walk (no running) using automated passport control.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by sdorling

i'm just curious, how was the load on the Hanoi flight? Was the majority of passengers Vietnamese?

And back to the OP, please report us how much time you spent in the lounge.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
The load in J was pretty low, nordic. A few suits, a few passengers that were Asian and the rest I would suggest were premium leisure travellers.

We have the mini-cabin of Rows 6 & 7 to ourselves and were thoroughly spoilt by the crew.

Economy looked to be fuller, with a mixture of Asian travellers and Europeans.

Not idea what that means for the continued viability of the route. Perhaps there is decent cargo being shipped that makes up for (what I assume to be) relatively price-sensitive leisure travellers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.