Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

What to pre-order [in longhaul business class]?

What to pre-order [in longhaul business class]?

Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Can confirm that their karjalanpaisti is tasty.

I haven't had the vispipuuro, but I'm not optimistic. Mainly because I tried buying it from a store once and it was terrible. If they make it like my grandmother makes it, it's great.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Any input on these options (JFK-HEL)?
Option 1
Veal cheek with Yukon mashed potatoes, sautéed wild mushrooms and broccoli

Option 2
Seared cod with sweet potato puree and stew of leek and arugula, saffron jus

Option 3
Spinach ravioli, sautéed baby spinach, porcini walnut sauce and red peppers
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:01 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I had the veal eight days ago. Very good, juicy and tender.
DoTheBartMan likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:58 pm
R2

I had the veal last night, didn't like it all...it was greasy and overcooked. Overall the meal service on AY6 remains dismal...no appetizer, three unexciting choices for mains, cheese service is two small pieces (brie and edam) on the tray, ice cream for dessert.

For breakfast they served 'Bakery fresh bagel' which was not warm nor fresh but straight from the plastic bag. Espresso machine not working, instant cappuccino being served instead (yuk).

Crew was lovely and it was obvious they were not proud to serve what they had on offer.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
I seem to have all the standard options airlines give you (low salt, diabetic, vegetarian, Indian veggie, Hindu etc...) for my HEL-BKK in J (overnight 17:00-0725) but also an option 1,2,3 choices and a wellness, food lovers & chef gourmet option too.

First time on AY. What is the 100 years menus options ? I see it mentioned on the website with great pride but don't see detail or the opportunity to pre-order any of them ?? Or are options 1,2,3 these menus or are the wellness, food lover & gourmet chef ones the 100years menus ?

Confused !!

Also a bit off topic I know but do rows 1 & 9 on the A350 xwb have more room for your feet when in the lie-flat bed position than in other rows ?

Cheers :-)

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Dec 20, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:14 am

I think the Finland 100 menu has been presented in a confusing way:

"Menu: Smoked vendace, curdled cream, Åby rye cracker; mustard-marinated herring, marinated Baltic herring and vendace roe mousse, or boletus soup, smoked elk, sour cream and juniper oil; broiled Baltic herring, pickled vegetables, dill butter and mashed potatoes with lemon, or Finnish Karelian stew with crushed potatoes; Jymy 1917 Pine organic ice cream."

I guess this means that there are two starter options, presented before the first semicolon (Smoked vendace, curdled cream, Åby rye cracker; mustard-marinated herring, marinated Baltic herring and vendace roe mousse OR boletus soup, smoked elk, sour cream and juniper oil), two options of entrees between the two semicolons (broiled Baltic herring, pickled vegetables, dill butter and mashed potatoes with lemon OR Finnish Karelian stew with crushed potatoes), and the dessert coming from the freezer.

@Sisyphus1carus - you should be able to order this menu via the chat if you don't find it in the options. That's what the guy in the chat told me the other day.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Cheers :-)
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Any opinion on these? (HEL-ICN)
Option 1
Broiled Baltic herring, pickled vegetables, dill butter and mashed potatoes with lemon
Option 2
Finnish Karelian stew with crushed potatoes
Option 3
Beef goulash with sesame and kimchi, jasmine rice

I assume Option 3 is supposed to be a "local/Korean" one?

And then the "regular" ones

Food Lover´s Treat

Grilled whitefish with carrot puree
- Asparagus
- Poached spinach
- Zucchini

Chef´s Gourmet
Overcooked reindeer entrecote
- Barley risotto
- Porcini
- Roasted artichoke
- Thyme sauce

Wellness and Energy
Honey and sesame marinated fried tofu with red rice
- Almonds
- Brussels sprouts

Last edited by Superrman; Dec 28, 2017 at 3:41 am
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Welcome to FT! It looks like you took the upgrade ^

Of your list above, I've had the whitefish and the reindeer. Both are okay. I would recommend the reindeer. Just remind the crew in a friendly way not to keep it in the oven too long.

Baltic herring is the cheapest possible ingredient there is in Finland and it has a very strong taste of fish. Karelian stew is a mix of several meats and if it dries up, those meats will be hard and chewy. I wouldn't risk it. Both can be good, but to me, they are more an example of AY being a tightwad.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ffay005

Of your list above, I've had the whitefish and the reindeer. Both are okay. I would recommend the reindeer. Just remind the crew in a friendly way not to keep it in the oven too long.

Baltic herring is the cheapest possible ingredient there is in Finland and it has a very strong taste of fish. Karelian stew is a mix of several meats and if it dries up, those meats will be hard and chewy. I wouldn't risk it. Both can be good, but to me, they are more an example of AY being a tightwad.
Thanks for the response! I've had various forms of herring, whitefish, and also reindeer meat before (not that uncommon in Norway), so I was originally just hoping for input on whether AY does it well or not. I might go for the reindeer then. Will probably have plenty of chances to have better Korean food later anyway.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by ffay005

Welcome to these corners of internet ^

I must say that in this case I have to disagree with my friend ffay005. Even though baltic herring is among the cheaper ingredients, using them and having Karelian stew on the menu is not a sign of AY being a tightwad, but showing rich Finnish culinary traditions: those dishes are part of Finland 100years anniversary menu representing traditional Finnish dishes, and they do it well. I have had the baltic herring dish once and I liked it, well prepared and tasty, even though in that case it had far too long time in the oven due to unexpected turbulence and it wasn't spoiled, unlike my friend's reindeer that had dried very badly. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to taste their Karelian stew, but someone here wrote it was good.

If you take a closer look at many of the most famous dishes of for instance French or Italian cuisine, quite a few of them are made of the cheapest ingredients, originating from times when nothing was wasted, but delicious when well prepared, just like these two examples we are talking here. At least for me important is the quality and taste of the food on my plate, not the price of ingredients.
SPBanker and istabraq99 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Just had the Baltic herring here on board AY7 and it was okay - nothing spectacular but a decent dish if you like fish. The reindeer entrecote which my 4-year-old (!) wanted to try was excellent tonight.

On the dessert side, one could hope for more. The options were Geisha and Wilhelmiina shortbread or Jymy Pine ice cream.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:07 am

I can’t see a link to order the special meals. They aren’t in the drop down menu and the page that explains them doesn’t have a selection option. Or is this just because I’m using an iPad?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by turntheheatdown
I can’t see a link to order the special meals. They aren’t in the drop down menu and the page that explains them doesn’t have a selection option. Or is this just because I’m using an iPad?
They should appear in the end of the drop down menu like this. It's true that you can't select your meal from the business class food menu page.

Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:57 am

Thanks. I used the chat room facility and my overcooked reindeer is now on my booking page.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.