FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Transiting in Helsinki [HEL] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1482613-transiting-helsinki-hel.html)

SPBanker Jul 6, 2013 8:06 am

Transiting in Helsinki [HEL]

Wow, that was easier than I thought. Please edit the wiki as you see fit.

TTL Jul 6, 2013 9:44 am

UK to Schengen/non-Schengen is like US to Schengen/non-Schengen, no security check.

nordic Jul 6, 2013 10:12 am

Originally Posted by TTL (Post 21049646)
UK to Schengen/non-Schengen is like US to Schengen/non-Schengen, no security check.

...Text removed as corrections made...

Sorry, I don't know how to make changes to wiki. Is it just editing?

SPBanker Jul 6, 2013 12:05 pm

Yes, just hit the Edit button.

Ed Size Jul 6, 2013 12:39 pm

If the security lines busy you can follow the signs to HEL, downstairs they have a security lane as well, I use this quite often with no problems. Last time they told me that I can t stay in the non Schengen aera, but after a few words they let me go.

WilcoRoger Jul 6, 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by SPBanker (Post 21050255)
Yes, just hit the Edit button.

Just did :)

SPBanker Jul 7, 2013 4:04 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 21051807)
Just did :)

^

oliver2002 Jul 7, 2013 11:47 am

Stickied as per OPs request.

Terve Oliver2002
Vanhempi Moderator

SPBanker Jul 7, 2013 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 21055510)
Stickied as per OPs request.

Terve Oliver2002
Vanhempi Moderator

Kiitos, thanks, Danke, tack!

nordic Jul 7, 2013 2:20 pm

I changed the list of EU non-Schengen countries and added a chapter of the liquid rules.

I am not quite sure about the last paragraph. Does the 24 hour rule apply also to purchases made onboard EU intercontinental flights and items bought at US, KUL, SIN airports. Probably so.

"Liquids bought at an airside duty-free store at an airport within the European Union and Norway, Iceland and Switzerland may be brought through security within 24 hours of the purchase (i.e. you may go to landside and re-enter security within the time period) provided that the items in the original sealed and unopened bag together with a receipt on the purchased items."

One further question:
Arriving from Schengen using a bus to terminal. Do the buses always arrive near the T2A baggage claim area now that even baggage claim area T2B is used for some Schengen flights. I remember that a couple of years ago a bus (arriving from Budapest) left us by the door near the T2B area resulting in that we had to go through arrivals and departures to be rescreened for our domestic connection flight. This T2B door was used earlier for arrivals from Norway and Iceland before they introduced the customs phones in the tubes.

WilcoRoger Jul 8, 2013 12:50 am

Originally Posted by nordic (Post 21056218)
I remember that a couple of years ago a bus (arriving from Budapest) left us by the door near the T2B area resulting in that we had to go through arrivals and departures to be rescreened for our domestic connection flight.

That was because BUD was deemed "unsecure" for a while a few years ago, so connecting from BUD you had to be rescreened (not only in HEL but at all EU airports) This is history now.

riku2 Jul 8, 2013 11:18 am

I updated the document to more accurately describe what the airport is: one terminal with 2x departure halls and 3x baggage claim areas. There aren't actually two terminals (in the normal sense of the word) it would be hard to even realise when you are crossing from T1 -> T2.
The finnavia site used to sell the airport to airlines as "one terminal" but I pointed out to them that their passenger pages talked about two terminals. Probably one terminal is a selling point for airlines, two terminals makes it sound a grand place from a passenger point of view. Now finnavia call it "two terminals under one roof" .. in the same way that my house is four bedrooms under one roof I suppose.

Similar goes for the inability of Finnavia to accurately name the non schengen part and they call it the "long haul" area.

AvidFlyer1990 Aug 4, 2013 7:12 am

Hello FTers, this thread is a GODSEND for my parents, as they will be flying Finnair this time!

They are flying Finnair business class, and both of them have OneWorld Emerald Status! However, I do have a couple of questions, as this is their first time transiting through HEL:

1. My parents will be flying in from New Delhi, India, and will be transiting through to Paris CDG. First, is there a priority lane for security and passport control, for business class guests?

2. Do they have to go through security, or is passport control enough?

3. Is the connection time of 1:15 hr sufficient ? (Please bear in mind that they will be transiting from a non-schengen country, to a schengen country)

4. The lounge, in the non-schengen area, is it good enough for about a half-hour visit?

5. And, by any chance, does anybody have an idea, from which gate, does usually, HEL-CDG flight depart (AY 873)? I, understand, that it's a really vague question, but, I was wondering, if it's near gates 24 and 25, they can actually avail of the shower facilities, even in that short period of time!

Thanks!

intuition Aug 5, 2013 8:08 am

1. Normally no. (if their flight is delayed there might be a temporary fast track through security). As they are in business, they will be first off the plane.
At this time of day, there are quite a few longhaul planes arriving, and at 15:20 there are 3 planes landing at "the same time". So it is a bit of peak hour, and they should not linger getting off the plane.
2. Security and then passport at 2 different stations.
3. Yes, should be more than enough.
4. Absolutely. Wine, beer, soft drinks and salad is offered. A quick snack and a seat is perfect for the short stop they are having. At peak hours it might be crowded.
5. I have no experience of this flight. But normally AY will display all connecting flights and gate numbers onboard before landing. If they ask a FA they should also be able to tell them the gate
They can also sign up for text message service (for a fee), and they will get message with gate number
http://www.helsinki-vantaa.fi/timetables/sms-service

AvidFlyer1990 Aug 5, 2013 9:50 am

intuition, thank you so much for your reply! It really did help clear out the doubts! Thank you, once again. And my parents sends their regards!