Connecting at HEL from JFK to WAW

Old Apr 30, 13, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Connecting at HEL from JFK to WAW

Hi All,

I've connected through HEL many times, but only to/from JFK and an Asian destination. This weekend, I will be connecting to WAW from JFK. Business Class both flights.

According to the HEL website, pax coming from the U.S. connecting to an EU destination, do not need to go through security again. That's wrong information, right?

I assume one goes through immigration and customs at HEL and then goes through security again. Right?

Finally, how does the lounge in the Shengen section compare to the non-Shengen lounge? Does it have shower rooms?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 13, 7:27 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
As for the lounge, you could use the non-Schengen Finnair/SSP flagship lounge on arrival, before going through Schengen immigration. I've heard of this possibility from AY staff and think it still is there.
Old Apr 30, 13, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
I assume one goes through immigration and customs at HEL and then goes through security again. Right?
Wrong.

IF there's security, it'll be before immigration. You probably won't even see customs - I surely have no idea where they are supposed to be.

Of course, if you go landside, then there's security when returning airside.
Old May 1, 13, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, AY Gold, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
If you transit directly to schengen area without leaving airside the only thing you need to clear is immigration. No security check when arriving from U.S.

Customs you will see at WAW, once again given that you don't leave airside at HEL.
Old May 1, 13, 10:10 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by mosburger View Post
As for the lounge, you could use the non-Schengen Finnair/SSP flagship lounge on arrival, before going through Schengen immigration. I've heard of this possibility from AY staff and think it still is there.
It is possible till this date, thats what I m always doing.
Old May 1, 13, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esledo View Post
Customs you will see at WAW, once again given that you don't leave airside at HEL.
He won't, as he'll arrive to WAW from HEL (intra-EU flight)
Old May 1, 13, 4:02 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
He won't, as he'll arrive to WAW from HEL (intra-EU flight)
Yes, he will, I think you're confusing immigration and customs here. Imigration is in HEL and customs in WAW.

Arriving HEL from JFK there is no security, you arrive directly airside to the non-schengen area in T2. From there you need to walk through imigration to the Schengen area of T2 where the flight to WAW leaves from. Your baggage will be checked through to WAW and you don't have to claim it in HEL, it will be moved directly to the WAW flight.

Customs is indeed in WAW, which is why there is no need to claim and recheck luggage in HEL like when arriving to the US. If you have nothing to declare and choose the green line (in WAW) chances are that you are not going to be checked or even stoped on your way out from baggage claim. Only if you leave airside in HEL you will have to go through customs, but again, chances are they won't even stop you and you just walk through.

You can use any of the lounges in T2, the one's on the non-Schengen side are perhaps a bit nicer if you have lots of time, but if not, I'd just head straight into immigration and use a lounge on the Schengen side.
http://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/inform...ounge-list#HEL

Last edited by mkgrip; May 1, 13 at 4:13 pm
Old May 2, 13, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, I just walked out WAW (flying in from HEL) this morning, haven't seen customs - maybe they're there, but well camouflaged

OTOH flying HKG-MUC-HEL we were stopped by customs in MUC airside, so there ARE customs check at connecting airports.
Old May 2, 13, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
so there ARE customs check at connecting airports.
Of course there are. Shall we talk about connecting in U.S. or Norway for example?

However, this has nothing to do with HEL.
Old May 2, 13, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks all. Very helpful information. I'll use the showers in the non-Shengen lounge as I know they are reasonably nice. To confirm, there are showers in the Shengen lounge, correct?

It's been a few years, but I recall seeing a security screening station (a rather large one) when you come off the JFK or an Asian flight (to your right as you walk toward passport control) that seemed to me to be the way to get to the Shengen lounge (I was heading landside to a day room at the Hilton or, if more time, a hotel in the city center). If not, then what is this screening point for, or has it been removed?
Old May 2, 13, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esledo View Post
Of course there are. Shall we talk about connecting in U.S. or Norway for example?

However, this has nothing to do with HEL.
Nah, I meant of course ex-EU->EU->EU connections. If I get customs inspection in MUC while connecting to HEL, it is just as well possible to get a customs inspection in HEL while connecting to WAW (ex-EU origin both cases)

However in the last 20 years or so I have only been stopped twice at a European customs - MUC and OSL, so under normal circumstances OP's chances of seeing a customs officer are small and being stopped is minuscule.
Old May 2, 13, 2:07 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Thanks all. Very helpful information. I'll use the showers in the non-Shengen lounge as I know they are reasonably nice. To confirm, there are showers in the Shengen lounge, correct?

It's been a few years, but I recall seeing a security screening station (a rather large one) when you come off the JFK or an Asian flight (to your right as you walk toward passport control) that seemed to me to be the way to get to the Shengen lounge (I was heading landside to a day room at the Hilton or, if more time, a hotel in the city center). If not, then what is this screening point for, or has it been removed?
If you transit from Asia or Russia to another place, you must pass through the security. If you come from the US, you don't.
Old May 2, 13, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
If you are in the T2, heading for passport control, there is a large screening area to the left.
It is the security screening for flights arriving from Ex-EU (US excluded). These flights too arrive at T2, but pax are not let into T2 directly but instead led to this security before entering the mixed arrivals/departure T2 area.
You cannot exit T2 through this one.
Old May 2, 13, 3:16 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I do think the public washroom nearest to the Schengen lounge has 1-2 shower cabins for all to use by now. Would presume it's a "bring your own towel" policy?

Last edited by mosburger; May 2, 13 at 3:56 pm
Old May 2, 13, 3:32 pm

To confirm, there are showers in the Shengen lounge, correct?
No, there aren't, at least not my knowledge.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: