FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Proactive purser looking out for AY+ Plat? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1413133-proactive-purser-looking-out-ay-plat.html)

SPBanker Dec 2, 2012 9:40 am

Proactive purser looking out for AY+ Plat?

Earlier today I flew PVG-HEL on AY58. The plane was full. During the first drink round the purser (she was working my aisle) asked me what I'd like to have for the main course, as full cabin meant they would most likely run out of one or two of the three options, and I was in 4D. I thanked her and chose beef (which was OK for airline beef, on the way to PVG the sea bass was really soggy). Sure enough, they run out beef before my seat, except for the one they kept for me. The same thing happened with the second meal, I chose cannelones, they ran out of them. But I got mine. As far as I could tell, she didn't ask anyone else about this, which leads me to conjecture that my AY+ Plat status had something to do with it. (Or my boyish good looks and baby blue eyes... :p ) Has this happened to anyone else? In any case, this frequent flyer appreciated the gesture!

haapalainen Dec 2, 2012 12:02 pm

I had the same positive experience already twice this year on HEL-JFK and HEL-PEK. Both flights were only about 50% full and I was sitting in 3A and 2L so I don't think they would have run out of my choice even without asking. But it sure was a nice gesture anyway. I didn't see the purser asking anyone else the same question though so maybe the good looks helped in my case too... :P

mosburger Dec 2, 2012 9:48 pm

PVG-HEL is one of the "elite" heaviest routes in the AY network, AFAIK. Heard of cases when 15 Plats were waitlisted for the few "soft" upgrade seats etc. Perhaps you gents were on the road with FT luggage tags? ;)

Benzin Dec 2, 2012 11:11 pm

Has not happened to me. Last time did not even get the soup before asking for it... And I have the cutest baby face too! But on CX yes, on AY no. I think it is a shame. Would not cost a cent.

NoWindowSeat Dec 3, 2012 12:02 am

Yep, PVG is really Plat heavy route so you've been lucky! Maybe Sunday is not so popular day for Finnish biz pax to travel back..dunno.

SPBanker Dec 3, 2012 4:38 am

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 19785227)
PVG-HEL is one of the "elite" heaviest routes in the AY network, AFAIK. Heard of cases when 15 Plats were waitlisted for the few "soft" upgrade seats etc. Perhaps you gents were on the road with FT luggage tags? ;)

Heh, no FT tag. Instead I had my AY+ Plat tag. Maybe that is the explanation?

niksal Dec 3, 2012 10:32 am

Slightly OT but I flew HEL-CPH this morning on AY. Before departure the purser had the manifest in hand and looked for elite members apparently to give out free newspapers. I don't know what status was required. I don't hold any status with AY so I got nothing out of it but I still think the elite recognition was a small thing that makes a lot of difference. Well done!

haapalainen Dec 4, 2012 4:53 am

Originally Posted by niksal (Post 19787976)
Slightly OT but I flew HEL-CPH this morning on AY. Before departure the purser had the manifest in hand and looked for elite members apparently to give out free newspapers.

When it works this sure is a nice gesture for the elites. However, I have been given the newspaper on only about 20% of my flights in Y. This inconsistent service is a little bit frustrating as you can never be sure if you will have something to read during the flight or not. I admit that I have never separately asked for it either but still I hope the purser would distribute the newspaper more often, in other words every time.

SPBanker Jan 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Funnily enough, the same thing happened on AA170 (NRT-LAX) on Jan 3. The purser went through the cabin, asking a handful of people (including your humble servant) about their choice for the main course. All the others got to make their choice only after that.

No such service on the subsequent JL and CX flights, though! :p

tentativetraveller Jan 13, 2013 12:45 am

Well, good to know they have improved from few years back... I was(am) emerald and had chosen meals few weeks before the flight. But when they started serving they had no idea I had pre-ordered meals. Luckily I still got what I wanted even though I got served last in cabin. Back then they didn't recognize emeralds in any way.

On CX they sometimes, maybe 50% of times, someone asks for my and few others (presumably emeralds as well) choice of meal before starting the service.