Press conference 14.11.2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
forget it, I read on...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Great to have you here, FinnairPlusrep! And as Kallio said, please contact FT to have you recognized as the official company representative. That way your handle will show up in green and we will all recognize you as the "voice of Finnair Plus". May I also suggest to you to write your handle as FinnairPlusRep.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
And congratulations to Finnair for running a really professional operation ex. DEL together with a really professional crew. Also food in Y seems to have improved slightly, although the pre-landing sandwich is still unedible.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:46 am

Is this the right thread to ask the FinnairPlus Rep about HEL-SIN route?

I have been watching this thread eagerly as my partner and I are flying a 'bucketlist' trip to OZ in early January: MAN-HEL-SYD in business class.
We chose Finnair(perhaps naively) because it was rated four-star and mistakenly I thought it was all flat- beds.

I am now reading all kinds of reviews (here and on Skytrax) that IFE that doesn't work and old planes in need of TLC.
Is Finnair actively working to correct IFE problems or is it just hit and miss?

Also, what are the differences on the 'old' A340 planes that seem to be so talked about? How can we find out which 'plane will be operating on our travel days? I'm sure all this sounds really inconsequential for frequent flyers but to us this is a trip of a lifetime.

Are the almost lie flat beds so awful?

Any reassurances would be welcome......
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:03 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I think it is impossible to say now what plane will be flying what route in early January. Closer to the date you can check http://www.ftdashboard.net/ay.htm to see what planes are flying where.

I have slept relatively comfortably on the angled flat seats, but obviously YMMV. Otherwise the older planes are, well, older. A bit more worn out etc.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:13 am

YMMV ?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:20 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Your mileage may vary. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/YMMV
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:23 am

Thank you for that piece of information. I eagerly await any response from FinnairPlus Rep.....
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
As much as I hate A340-300 aircrafts, I'd like to know what is wrong with OH-LQA ?
You might be right.

I got carried away with the 1994 ex-Virgin, I confess I might not have experience on that but not sure as I have not checked the airplane codes when boarding. Maybe I have understood the ex-Virgin product wrong? I would so love to see full flat seats on the 340's and "1994" was a red flag for me. Does it have the traditional Finnair lie flats? Screen? I have not found specific info on that even here in FT. But I guess I was too quick in drawing conclusions, sorry.

But I do have experience on the ex-AF and the biz seat is somehow odd when upright, it keeps your neck bended forward. And the screen is small. I would have liked to see +10% earnings to compensate slightly for the inferior product or -5000 upgrade points for the same reason.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Benzin
I got carried away with the 1994 ex-Virgin, I confess I might not have experience on that but not sure as I have not checked the airplane codes when boarding. Maybe I have understood the ex-Virgin product wrong? I would so love to see full flat seats on the 340's and "1994" was a red flag for me. Does it have the traditional Finnair lie flats? Screen? I have not found specific info on that even here in FT. But I guess I was too quick in drawing conclusions, sorry.
Ex-Virgin A340 has same seats and IFE as newer A340s. Angled lie-flats in biz as only fully flats are in A330s (and not even all of them have those) though. And I go to roller coasters or drive sports cars if I want thrills from motion, so in my opinion A340 has a nice, quiet and comfortable ride in the skies.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:41 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
What will happen to the good old booking class letters in the new system? Other FFPs depend on that information. And how to book a specific letter in the future?

CDIJ in Business?
YBH in Pro?
KMPT in Value?
-------cut out limit for any OW mileage of value-------
The rest in Basic?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by TTL
What will happen to the good old booking class letters in the new system? Other FFPs depend on that information. And how to book a specific letter in the future?

CDIJ in Business?
YBH in Pro?
KMPT in Value?
-------cut out limit for any OW mileage of value-------
The rest in Basic?
AA has been 100-200% all classes depending on status, if that's cut, goodbye AY for good.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: AY Gold, Shangri La Golden circle
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
As much as I hate A340-300 aircrafts, I'd like to know what is wrong with OH-LQA ?
Do you mean that some or one of the AY 340s have fully flat seats?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: LH SEN
There has been some conversation about the seating plans and configurations on AY LH fleet. Hopefully this will provide some clarification what to expect:

Five A340s (LQA-LQE) have the same seating configuration, "old Finnair style" angled lie-flat bed in J. Economy seats are also the same. In other words cabinwise no difference between 1994 LQA and 2008 LQE.

Two ex-AF A340s (LQF/LQG) have ex-AF seats (with Finnair textiles though), AF-style angled lie-flat in J and AF-style Y seats with smaller IFE screen than in LQA-LQE.

Four A330s (LTM-LTP) have the same seats than LQA-LQE, angled lie-flat etc., the only difference is the lighter blue colours in the textiles.

One A330 (LTR) has the new bigger J class, with the new fully flat seats.

Three A330s (LTS-LTU) have the same new J seats than LTR, just fewer seats in J resulting more seats in Y class. All A330s have the same Y seat than LQA-LQE.

Consistent product, eh?

Last edited by esledo; Nov 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: AY Gold, Shangri La Golden circle
Originally Posted by esledo
There has been some conversation about the seating plans and configurations on AY LH fleet. Hopefully this will provide some clarification what to expect:

Five A340s (LQA-LQE) have the same seating configuration, "old Finnair style" angled lie-flat bed in J. Economy seats are also the same. In other words cabinwise no difference between 1994 LQA and 2008 LQE.

Two ex-AF A340s (LQF/LQG) have ex-AF seats (with Finnair textiles though), AF-style angled lie-flat in J and AF-style Y seats with smaller IFE screen than in LQA-LQE.

Four A330s (LTM-LTP) have the same seats than LQA-LQE, angled lie-flat etc., the only difference is the lighter blue colours in the textiles.

One A330 (LTR) has the new bigger J class, with the new fully flat seats.

Thee A330s (LTS-LTU) have the same new J seats than LTR, just fewer seats in J resulting more seats in Y class. All A330s have the same Y seat than LQA-LQE.

Consistent product, eh?
Yes, isn't it! I'll fly to BKK soon and will have a "solo" seat. Is that configuration always with the new flat seats? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.