Press conference 14.11.2012

Reply

Old Nov 14, 12, 11:15 am
  #76  
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Posts: 3,567
Originally Posted by MrsMK View Post
Yes, isn't it! I'll fly to BKK soon and will have a "solo" seat. Is that configuration always with the new flat seats? Thanks!
Yes. Quite nice seats too.

https://www.finnair.com/FI/FI/flights/fleet
SPBanker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 12, 12:09 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Gold, Shangri La Golden circle
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by SPBanker View Post
Thanks! Yes, I agree, I have had the pleasure to enjoy them a few times. But the "punishment", I mean enchancement, for us "Singapore A340 flyers" feels so terribly unfair....
MrsMK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:05 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 32
Thank you for all this explanation. It seems then that we have to keep fingers crossed that ex-AF A340s are not used on either leg to or from Singapore in January.

Hopefully, Finnair will be proactive in addressing the oft-reported issues with faulty IFE ?

I wait patiently for Finnair to comment?
cosmos57 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:17 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,154
Dear FinnairPlusrep,
welcome. You probably cannot give a comment, but why did you not choose to offer Business restricted price on short haul flights. The gap in prices between
economy class and business class is too wide, if you are just for more points and better inflight service. Sometimes you would like to pamper yourself and your family but you don't need flexibility. Thankfully the short-haul upgrades for points are still available, but I could pay for that for the price I get a restricted business ticket on BA or LH.
I know the demand is not very high, but you would still earn extra money. Better ground service for the less-restricted economy class tickets is not really good for those of us who can use these services because of an elite status.
nordic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:17 pm
  #80  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Posts: 10,138
Originally Posted by cosmos57 View Post
...
I wait patiently for Finnair to comment?
As you may know, the company rep made its first appearance ever in this thread. There have not been any official AY participation for a very long time.
(And I suspect SPBanker and NoWindowSeat may have something to do with the return). FT can be a bit much for anyone, and I think we need to give FinnairPlusrep some time to settle in.

Also, this is a thread about the press conference and the presented change in the AY+programme and the ticket structure. Maybe it is better to start a new thread about IFE or to re-use one of the existing? I mean, in regards to the given subject of this thread, there is just not much to be said about IFE and such.
intuition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 12, 3:09 pm
  #81  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting; SSSS = haraSSSSment
Posts: 87,776
Originally Posted by SPBanker View Post
Upgrades to India go up by whopping 15000 to 50000. Other LH upgrades up by 5000.

If I understood correctly, Pro ticket on LH means complimentary biz upgrade on the European leg, if such exists. And there's room. Still, not insignificant.
AY is awful about releasing award space on the flight to DEL even as the flight date approaches and the cabin remains far from being even anything close to fully booked. Perhaps this change might make some upgrade space available on some AY flights to/from DEL, but the expense of the upgrade (as measured in program currency) is rising enough that such provides me no additional comfort or cheer for this route when it comes to using AY's program.
GUWonder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 12, 5:09 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Posts: 598
Originally Posted by esledo View Post
There has been some conversation about the seating plans and configurations on AY LH fleet. Hopefully this will provide some clarification what to expect:

Five A340s (LQA-LQE) have the same seating configuration, "old Finnair style" angled lie-flat bed in J. Economy seats are also the same. In other words cabinwise no difference between 1994 LQA and 2008 LQE.

Two ex-AF A340s (LQF/LQG) have ex-AF seats (with Finnair textiles though), AF-style angled lie-flat in J and AF-style Y seats with smaller IFE screen than in LQA-LQE.

Four A330s (LTM-LTP) have the same seats than LQA-LQE, angled lie-flat etc., the only difference is the lighter blue colours in the textiles.

One A330 (LTR) has the new bigger J class, with the new fully flat seats.

Three A330s (LTS-LTU) have the same new J seats than LTR, just fewer seats in J resulting more seats in Y class. All A330s have the same Y seat than LQA-LQE.

Consistent product, eh?
Oh come on, be fair. With that method airlines like Lufthansa have what...10? 15? 20? long haul products (couning each variant for each aircraft type, some in the middle of product overhaul...) AY:s five is consistent as heck.

Seriously speaking, AY has 2 or 3 different kinds of J depending on how you count them: The new true-flat J, the old angled-lie-flat and the ex-AF variant of angled lie flat.

How many rows of each class they have or how many engines are bolted under the wing does not constitute as separate inconsistent products IMO.
mkgrip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 12, 10:33 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,154
The original invitation was also about changes in food offerings. Has any one heard anything about that. The only thing I have heard that it remains the same as before. Surely there must be some changes coming conserding the pictures shown when the cooperation with Marimekko was announced.
nordic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 12, 11:07 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: HEL
Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Posts: 8,241
Originally Posted by MrsMK View Post
Yes, isn't it! I'll fly to BKK soon and will have a "solo" seat. Is that configuration always with the new flat seats? Thanks!
Those are indeed. I flew BKK-HEL in such 2 weeks ago, very good experience. The 2A and 4A (6A?) are the best and everything on the starboard side (xL) is nearly as good.
WilcoRoger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 12, 12:43 am
  #85  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Posts: 10,138
Originally Posted by nordic View Post
The original invitation was also about changes in food offerings. Has any one heard anything about that. The only thing I have heard that it remains the same as before. Surely there must be some changes coming conserding the pictures shown when the cooperation with Marimekko was announced.
I was thinking about this too. Partly the Marimekko thing, partly I also would like to hear officially how the Machester try-outs went.

No meal news other than "Meals/Drinks only on flights longer than 2 hours" which later turned in to "Meals/Drinks on all flights except ATR metal". And by the way, the web-pages presenting the ticket types now reads "Meals/Drinks on all AY-operated flights"
intuition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 12, 1:07 am
  #86  
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Posts: 3,567
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
AY is awful about releasing award space on the flight to DEL even as the flight date approaches and the cabin remains far from being even anything close to fully booked. Perhaps this change might make some upgrade space available on some AY flights to/from DEL, but the expense of the upgrade (as measured in program currency) is rising enough that such provides me no additional comfort or cheer for this route when it comes to using AY's program.
Cost of upgrade HEL-DEL is rising, but so are points received from the route. Previously one needed 3.35 (35000/10448, without tier bonuses) one-way C flights to purchase one upgrade, now it is 3.33 (50000/15000) one-way C tickets.
SPBanker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 12, 1:16 am
  #87  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Posts: 10,138
Originally Posted by SPBanker View Post
Cost of upgrade HEL-DEL is rising, but so are points received from the route.
...
Yes, DEL is the new (lonesome) winner in the zonebased system, earns 26% better.
(I would have considered this for runs, but there is tragically few OW connections)
intuition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 12, 1:49 am
  #88  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Posts: 10,138
OK, here are a few numbers.

Since AY depends heavily on transit pax to asia, I wanted to analyse the total points earned.

To me the programme is clearly shifting focus from business class pax to econ travellers (both "Basic" and "Value" ).
Intra scandinavian business pax is very clearly "punished" and the long routes (SIN and japan) also awards less points in business.
On most other LH connection routes points are raised across the board, but C, D, I, J is only marginaly raised while the econ classes gets around twice the points they used to.



I am now very interested in what has happened to prices. If they didn't lower prices on SH J, (and I don't think they did) then they killed of that market. Maybe that is why they are offering "complementary upgrades" in PRO.

Last edited by intuition; Nov 15, 12 at 1:56 am Reason: something went wrong in the spread sheet
intuition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 12, 3:09 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 513
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
OK, here are a few numbers.

Since AY depends heavily on transit pax to asia, I wanted to analyse the total points earned.

To me the programme is clearly shifting focus from business class pax to econ travellers (both "Basic" and "Value" ).
Intra scandinavian business pax is very clearly "punished" and the long routes (SIN and japan) also awards less points in business.
To me the only long-haul destinations that have lower points in business are SIN, BKK and ICN (very slightly). Japanese destinations get more points. Scandinavia is indeed slightly "punished" and so is Southern Europe. But Western/Central Europe, Russia and Baltics get increases or stay the same.

It is clear that the focus in improvements is in economy travelers, but AY Plus has been known to be bad program for those travelling in economy so I think it is warranted. I for one had already decided that I'll switch to another OW program, but now it looks like staying with AY Plus is still possibility. Of course those paying for biz tickets should be rewarded more, but the new system looks more balanced. I guess that change where everybody wins is just too expensive at the moment.
Kallio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 12, 3:28 am
  #90  
Company Representative - Finnair
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: Finnair Plus
Posts: 19
Hi nordic,
Your question was forwarded to our Revenue Management and Pricing Department. Here's the answer:

"Thank you for your very insightful question. We're happy to hear about your interest towards a restricted Business Class product on short haul flights. As you pointed out, in general there is not very much demand towards this kind of ticket type. Business Class travel on short haul flights is overall not very common these days and the vast majority of those travelling in Business Class on short haul flights are frequent business travellers who expect full flexibility on top the Business Class service. Hence we chose to offer only "BUSINESS" ticket type on our European flights to keep the offering very simple and straightforward. Should the demand trend change we can obviously consider other options as well in the future.

We'd like to thank you again for your question and wish you will continue to enjoy Finnair flights also in the future."
Also we would like to remind you that if you have other questions regarding Finnair and its products please check our Facebook -page:
http://www.facebook.com/Finnair or contact our customer service.

Best Regards,
FinnairPlusRep


Originally Posted by nordic View Post
Dear FinnairPlusrep,
welcome. You probably cannot give a comment, but why did you not choose to offer Business restricted price on short haul flights. The gap in prices between
economy class and business class is too wide, if you are just for more points and better inflight service. Sometimes you would like to pamper yourself and your family but you don't need flexibility. Thankfully the short-haul upgrades for points are still available, but I could pay for that for the price I get a restricted business ticket on BA or LH.
I know the demand is not very high, but you would still earn extra money. Better ground service for the less-restricted economy class tickets is not really good for those of us who can use these services because of an elite status.

Last edited by FinnairPlusrep; Nov 15, 12 at 3:56 am
FinnairPlusrep is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread