Wiki Posts
Search

CX/BA first class awards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

CX/BA first class awards

Hey guys,

Has anyone had any success in using AY points for CX or BA first class awards?
I tried to book HEL-europe-HKG-HND in June and August for about dozen dates, but no availability. Now I'm looking for BA to SFO or LAX.

Any tips or any place besides ay plus where I could check the availability?

Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I did a return award trip HEL-AMS-HKG-SGN in Cathay First and Business last year by using Finnair points. I searched for availability by using Cathay's and Qantas' search engine (you need to sign up for their programs). The tickets were booked through Finnair Plus 7 months ahead and at the time of booking there was quite a lot of availability through different european cities.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:54 pm
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
HEL-LHR-SFO/LAX in First for desired dates is almost impossible even with Avios, so I suspect there may be even less hope using AY points...
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:39 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TTL
HEL-LHR-SFO/LAX in First for desired dates is almost impossible even with Avios, so I suspect there may be even less hope using AY points...
It's the same regardless of the program used for redemption but it's difficult...lot of paid F demand to both destinations.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
It's the same regardless of the program used for redemption but it's difficult...lot of paid F demand to both destinations.
Got the F award for June departure! Very happy (and positively surprised...)

Cheers,

Niko
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by niko

Cheers,

Niko
Care to share any tips on your method?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:05 am

Cheers,

Niko
Congrats, it's really nice to fly F to the west coast...you can really take full advantage of the service and Concorde Room at T5.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Just dont expect too much of the CCR. Its a nice lounge, but its still just a lounge.
If you've been to Galleriest First, main difference is a better terrace (and red menus), apart from that, its about the same thing.

(well, you can turn right, not left, after security, but thats a different story
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by dera
Just dont expect too much of the CCR. Its a nice lounge, but its still just a lounge.
If you've been to Galleriest First, main difference is a better terrace (and red menus), apart from that, its about the same thing.

(well, you can turn right, not left, after security, but thats a different story
If there is a good pre-flight dining option, I'll just skip the first meal on board regardless of cabin class. When flying daytime East to West, rest, read something, watch IFE and have a few quality drinks. Then some midflight snacks and the lighter meal before landing.

In the air, the seat and cabin atmosphere (calm, quiet) are really the most important factors. On the ground, even the food might, just might be tasty...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
If there is a good pre-flight dining option, I'll just skip the first meal on board regardless of cabin class. When flying daytime East to West, rest, read something, watch IFE and have a few quality drinks. Then some midflight snacks and the lighter meal before landing.

In the air, the seat and cabin atmosphere (calm, quiet) are really the most important factors. On the ground, even the food might, just might be tasty...
I'd imagine someone who uses a lot of AY points for a BA F award wanting to enjoy every piece of the service...if just for rest and IFE J would do just fine
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:03 pm
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
LHR T5 CCR is nice but not a lounge to die for. It may be the almost over hyped exclusivity, that attracts many BA-fans there. However, no limo to the plane... in the worst case bussing among economy class passengers !

Once I brought a colleague from my home town traveling to the same scientific congress in Chicago (BA J-ticket, AY Plat) to CCR. I was using MFU to First. He decided to tap his laptop and had ½ a glass of chardonnay during the couple hours layout. So it must not have been a big deal ?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by TTL
LHR T5 CCR is nice but not a lounge to die for. It may be the almost over hyped exclusivity, that attracts many BA-fans there. However, no limo to the plane... in the worst case bussing among economy class passengers !

Once I brought a colleague from my home town traveling to the same scientific congress in Chicago (BA J-ticket, AY Plat) to CCR. I was using MFU to First. He decided to tap his laptop and had ½ a glass of chardonnay during the couple hours layout. So it must not have been a big deal ?
A Lounge is a lounge, no reason to share any tales from seasoned biz travellers in this context...my point was that when someone uses points for F over J he/she most likely WANTS to enjoy the available facilities, that's all.

Also travelling for business should never ever be compared to leisure travel.

This thread IS about F award travel.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I'd imagine someone who uses a lot of AY points for a BA F award wanting to enjoy every piece of the service...if just for rest and IFE J would do just fine
Spot on... I will try to make the most of it both onboard and at the CCR.
Thanks for the all the tips guys. Once again very much appreciated!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 2:53 am

Programs: LH, AY, EK, CX
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any success in using AY points for CX or BA first class awards?
I tried to book HEL-europe-HKG-HND in June and August for about dozen dates, but no availability. Now I'm looking for BA to SFO or LAX.

Any tips or any place besides ay plus where I could check the availability?

Thanks!
What I did was I went to http://www.kvstool.com/?R and bought the diamond membership. It’ s a great tool to check availabilities and awards/upgrades.

Price for diamond membership for 12 months is USD 75.

Happy landings,
Happy camper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.