Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Suit bag as a carry-on on AY SH Economy

Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond

I'm travelling to Paris in October for a work trip and I'm strongly thinking of ditching luggage due to only essentially only 5 days trip of which 2 are travelling to location outside of Paris. I know the carry-on "rules" are more of a guidelines, not really strictly obeyed and controlled but what would be my odds of getting away with
1. Normal carry-on baggage+suit bag attached to it, yet not really one of those fancy two-piece-matching color and style-type of combinations, actually my suit bag is rather large and unpractical...
2. Above+a poster tube if I can not ditch it to someone else, I'm the only one travelling on this flight though.

I know OW status brings some benefits (and no sane-minded person would force anyone to put the poster tube to cargo when going to CDG...), thenagain extra carry-on baggage is not a OW-wide benefit but a benefit only for the carrier of which FF-program you have status.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:24 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Nothing personal but I cannot understand why people do not check in luggage when they have more than the allowed amount. It takes maybe extra 5-20min to wait..and if all pax tried to do the same the boarding would take ages..

Most likely no one will stop you but the rules and limits are there for a reason.

Think also other pax and check in 1 piece..

Just my 2 cents
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:02 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
OW sapphire carry on allowance in Y onboard AY is one piece, 8 kg. OW emerald carry on allowance in Y onboard AY is two pieces: carry on size luggage (56 x 45 x 25 cm) + a briefcase/laptop case, together 10 kg. Both can have one extra piece of checked in luggage.

At least I do give look intended to kill for "space hogs" and thus support the poster above.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Nothing personal but I cannot understand why people do not check in luggage when they have more than the allowed amount. It takes maybe extra 5-20min to wait..and if all pax tried to do the same the boarding would take ages..

Most likely no one will stop you but the rules and limits are there for a reason.

Think also other pax and check in 1 piece..

Just my 2 cents
Well, firstly since my luggage has been lost on about 20-30% of my flights, 75% on my connections via CDG (well to be honest, N is only 4 for CDG), secondly since I have to catch a connecting TGV in Centre of Paris and the delay coming from the wait for the luggage might be the last straw if (when, on my recent flights, 75% have been arrived late ex-HEL due to different technical difficulties) the plane is delayed etc.

If the companies wouldn't consistently loose my luggage, I might think otherwise but as they seem to do, I have grown accustomed to trying to minimize my bad luck Thenagain, 2012 has been a good year so far, no delays, no lost luggage...odds are piling up.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Well, firstly since my luggage has been lost on about 20-30% of my flights, 75% on my connections via CDG (well to be honest, N is only 4 for CDG)
We all need to catch trains etc. and we also do not want our fellow pax to take all the onboard space just because they think they can do it...like I said the limits are there for a reason, not just to annoy pax.

Why don't you just tell to your emplyoer that you need to take an earlier flight in order to make the connection in leisure without worrying your luggage issues weeks before you travel? Nobody wants to travel under stress and if your train connection is so tight there are many other reasons 100% beyond your control you can miss it, not just the checked in luggage.

Also, are you absolutely sure that you have lost your luggage on almost every 3rd of your direct point to point short haul flights, extremely hard to believe? Tight connections through major hubs is the another thing..
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:34 am
Original Poster

The flight is on Sunday, would you like to catch an earlier flight on your own time
I know the rules, my point was just to ask what is the convention. For me its not about the travelling stress, but to minimize the downside of free-time travelling and make the transfer easier.

The luggage problems have of course occurred during transfers, not point to point flights but due to my extremely bad stats ( I know, it is just bad luck and currently the trend is balancing the statistics) combined with not that many flights compared to most very frequent travellers. Currently I think my stats from the last 5 years are closer to 20% than 30% due to "normal operation" for this year (and essentially very limited travel on H2/2010 and H1/2011), but like I said, I have extremely bad experiences with CDG so...

Last edited by Post Scriptum; Sep 25, 2012 at 2:43 am
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:44 am

It's still no excuse towards the other pax, that's the only relevant thing here. Just imagine if the flight is full and 50% or even 25% of the pax did what you plan to do?

This is the point.

You do as you do but to me this is standard thinking: "myself before anyone else."

I might sound hard here but I hope your travels are smooth and it's a pain to travel during weekends for work but most likely you've voluntarily chosen your employer so again that's not the fault of your fellow pax, is it?

Outside the context of this particular case I really wish AY and many other airlines would pay much more attention to the cabin luggage people are hauling in...especiaally into coach where there's no extra room anywhere on most carriers.

Travel safe, I'm off to the airport..
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Normally luggage is lost at CDG between connections. When flying from Helsinki via CDG, connections are complicated by factors like OW to ST connections. However, it's very rare that luggage is lost at CDG when arriving from point to point flight. If luggage arrives to destination airport on time, it's very unlikely to get lost... By the way, if you cannot place your other bag under the seat, you should definitely check the suit bag.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:26 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Outside the context of this particular case I really wish AY and many other airlines would pay much more attention to the cabin luggage people are hauling in...especiaally into coach where there's no extra room anywhere on most carriers.
Yes, space-hogging in general is just a symptom of the ancillary-revenue-disease. Airlines think they will earn more money by adding baggage fee, resulting in a huge amount of carry-ons. Even if people only bring their legal limit, the space isn't enough for all to do so. Also, boarding will take for ever. Everyone lose in the end. I can only re-iterate the wish that airlines should be much more in charge of the carry-ons.

As for OP, even if the 1 extra piece isn't a OW perk, you will probably be able to bring it all aboard.

As an anecdote I was on an AF intra-eu Y-flight the other day. After over 30 (!) minutes of caotic boarding a lady enters the now full cabin with the complete set of bags. The crew, all male, were ever so accommodating, with 3 of them assisting in moving / squeezing other peoples bags out of the way.
Let's just be glad that 'Blonde & Busty' doesn't earn extra perks on AY.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: AY Emerald
Last time flying from Miami to Bogota with AA which did not check the size/amount of carry-on bags at gate, was delayed for 1,5 hours only because of the bag hassle. Not space for bags, pax were not able to take their seats when having bags in their hands, total mess and the whole aisle was stucked. Even the captain came out of the cockpit and started to ask people to leave the aircraft to settle the situation. I was luckily sitting in a small business class and enjoyed class of...someting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.