Which OW card for Y pax ex-HEL?

Old Sep 24, 12, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG-P IHG-S HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
Which OW card for Y pax ex-HEL?

Lowly AY- Basic member here. Am sick and tired of 25% miles for decently priced Y tickets.

As reaching Emerald / Sapphire on leisure seems impossible for me I've decided that maximising points is the most important for me.

Any thoughts on what other OW cards are worthwhile when flying ex-HEL? What would be the route in utilising my current AY tier points? Transfer to another programme?

ps. apologies for posting this question in the AY forum. However odd that may seem, I think this is the most relevant forum for this question.
Old Sep 24, 12, 9:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Aadvantage should be your choice. 100% earnings on all fares, easy gold with J check-in and 25% bonus miles, relatively easy platinum with lounge benefits and double miles. Plus your miles never expire if you fly once every 18 months.
Old Sep 24, 12, 9:52 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
If mainly flying with cheap economy tickets I'd say to most people that they should go for AA Advantage...but it all varies based on your travel profile.

I can give you some further thoughts if you tell:
1. est. number of segments/mileage per year?
2. which one do you need/want more, status or awards?
3. which OW airlines you fly the most with?
Old Sep 24, 12, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat View Post
1. est. number of segments/mileage per year?
2. which one do you need/want more, status or awards?
3. which OW airlines you fly the most with?
Thanks!

1. 10-12 OW segments per year. Not sure about mileage, includes 2-4 LH per year
2. As status seems to be hard to reach, awards
3. mostly AY

I have 4 segments booked on AA tix. Wonder if I could update my loyalty programme eventhough I've already stored my AY#
Old Sep 24, 12, 10:12 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by remymartin View Post
Thanks!

3. mostly AY

I have 4 segments booked on AA tix. Wonder if I could update my loyalty programme eventhough I've already stored my AY#
Of course you can. It's very easy during online checkin. AA is probably the best program, especially when flying AY-coded BE-operated flights.
Old Sep 24, 12, 10:14 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY Plat, IHG Plat, Visa Plat, PP Prest, BT Vip
BA gives generous TP:s and 100% Avios on following coach booking classes of AY: Y, B, H, T, K, M, P. More restricted TP:s (50%) and 25% Avios on the rest of AY: A, G, L, N, O, Q, R, S, V, W, Z.

As I tend to fly the more expensive coach fares for work (and always business/first for leisure), it has required no effort to hold BA Gold for a decade. And obeying the current rules, also in the future, although the TP threshold went up to 1500 p/a from 800 it used to be.
Old Sep 24, 12, 11:18 am

Thanks!

3. mostly AY

Based on the above I'd propose you try how AAdvantage turns out for you. It might be, however, that AY is still the best program for you (especially if you value upgrades on AY?) as it's not very easy to top up the AA account for Finland based members (mainly referring to partners like credit cards etc.). For many AY Plus members flying is not (atleast anymore) the nr1 source for points.

In your shoes I'd give AA a try and see after 1-2 years how it feels.

Whatever you decide to do, please report back about your experiences.

Safe travels,
Old Sep 24, 12, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by TTL View Post
although the TP threshold went up to 1500 p/a from 800 it used to be.
OT: when does this 1500 p/a threshold actually kick-in...my current Gold year is ending in July 2013 and I will requalify until July 2014 with 800 TPs but am I assuming correctly that between 07/13-07/14 I need 1500 TPs to keep Gold after 07/14?

It was all a bit vague when they announceded the changes late 2011..
Old Sep 24, 12, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips so far.

I'll sign up for AAdvantage as soon as I find a promo code.

ps. Still trying to understand Avios - I have BAEC and Iberia accounts as well.
Old Sep 24, 12, 12:24 pm
TTL

OT: I recall, if You were gold nearby end of March 2012 there kicked in the grace period of 2 years for EuroGolds keeping up the benefit with old thresholds for two consecutive renewals. I have requalified until 03/2013 (match date 08 Feb) and still have one grace-requalification chance. 800 TP:s and Gold until 2014 using the old thresholds. If You had Gold before end of March 2012, You should have the lower limits for two renewals as well.

Very OT: Received today the letter offering keeping up the Senator card for "mere" €2000 for the next year, since I did not meet their expectations despite all my efforts. I think, I will settle for the FTL-card after 03/2013... Senator lounges in Germany are without a doubt the benefit I will be missing. But not worth two grands!

Last edited by TTL; Sep 24, 12 at 12:41 pm
Old Sep 24, 12, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat View Post
OT: when does this 1500 p/a threshold actually kick-in...my current Gold year is ending in July 2013 and I will requalify until July 2014 with 800 TPs but am I assuming correctly that between 07/13-07/14 I need 1500 TPs to keep Gold after 07/14?

It was all a bit vague when they announceded the changes late 2011..
It kicked in "long time" ago. Can't really remember, I think those who didn't reach 800tp before 11 march 2012 was swiftly taken over to the new rules. Those who did reach 800tp, was promised to keep the 800tp threshold for at least 2 years.

From memory, give and take.
Old Sep 24, 12, 6:44 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Forgot to mention: with AA there's no copay in AY award reservations. You just pay the actualy taxes, usually around 30 euros for a 2-leg award.

Using AY+ you pay a copay with every award which they call "fuel surcharge" and which amounts up to 300 euros on long haul flights.
Old Sep 26, 12, 3:17 pm

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
Thanks!
If those are long-haul, you might also get enough miles for completing a Challenge (see AA forum for details). With the rest of you flights, you'll be close to at least Gold (only OW ruby, though) anyway.
Old Sep 27, 12, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by TTL View Post

Very OT: Received today the letter offering keeping up the Senator card for "mere" 2000 for the next year, since I did not meet their expectations despite all my efforts. I think, I will settle for the FTL-card after 03/2013... Senator lounges in Germany are without a doubt the benefit I will be missing. But not worth two grands!
To put the offer in context, that is roughly the price for one longhaul. How many points were you short of SEN ? I mean if you only were short one LH C, then the offer seems very bad. If you were short several trips, then is is better.
Old Sep 27, 12, 4:48 am
TTL

OT: Too many to be covered by flights obtainable for €2000. There was a similar discussion on M/M forum about keeping the FTL for 1 year for €500 or keeping the FTL for 2 years by flying a couple of domestic J:s for the same money to get the missing points. Just wondering, would the HON:s get to keep their card for one extra year for €8000 without actually re-qualifying

Search this Thread
Search Engine: