Wiki Posts
Search

330's minicabin class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
330's minicabin class

I'm flying to BKK in October on AY95 on cheapest Y-tickets (or 96, either one) and when checking the MMB the seat selection actually shows the seats in rows 6-8 in the minicabin that AFAIK is C-cabin. The seats are crossed over right now as well as the exit-row seats etc. but:
1. Does Finnair keep those seats as Y-seats when C-load is light and during check-in status-customers can book their seats there though naturally with Y-service? Is there a method of booking the seats and paying for it (a nominal fee for C-seats on a 11h flight would not be the worst use of money), I reckon generally it should be possible but I haven't found a way.
2. Is it just a glitch in the system and the seats never free-up.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
1. I think that is exactly what you are seeing. Load is expected to be light, and mini-cabin is held back. If load is light close to take off, and Y load is high, they will use it to move some customers from Y to "fake-C" (C-seats with Y service).
On a regular flight (like AY95) you cannot buy those seats (or select them on a first come first serve basis). They will be assigned to someone at the mercy of AY, and only if Y is overbooked.

2. Not a glitch. But if both Y and C loads are light, they may never open them up, and thus keep the cabin empty.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:39 am

Programs: AY Emerald
Originally Posted by intuition
1. I think that is exactly what you are seeing. Load is expected to be light, and mini-cabin is held back. If load is light close to take off, and Y load is high, they will use it to move some customers from Y to "fake-C" (C-seats with Y service).
On a regular flight (like AY95) you cannot buy those seats (or select them on a first come first serve basis). They will be assigned to someone at the mercy of AY, and only if Y is overbooked.

2. Not a glitch. But if both Y and C loads are light, they may never open them up, and thus keep the cabin empty.
The seats can be given as mercy and/or they often open those rows for, at least for AY Emerald cardholders. I flew from - somewhere to Finland with my friend. We both online checked in, only I was able to reserve those rows as Emerald that he was not.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Laajo
The seats can be given as mercy and/or they often open those rows for, at least for AY Emerald cardholders. I flew from - somewhere to Finland with my friend. We both online checked in, only I was able to reserve those rows as Emerald that he was not.
That is the smart and good thing to do, adding more value to the FFprogram and showing appreciation to their elites.
Was this a recent event, or was it "a long time" ago? With the havoc they are wrecking to their seat selection system I am surprised if they can manage to release these specific seats *) to this specific customer group.

*) Mini-cabin would be
row 8-10 on OH-LTR
row 6-7 on LTM - LTP and most 340's
row 7-8 on LQF - LQG
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Was this a recent event, or was it "a long time" ago? With the havoc they are wrecking to their seat selection system I am surprised if they can manage to release these specific seats *) to this specific customer group.
This was quite recently and I was told the this way of appriciating both FF passangers and those who has expensive booking classes will be increasing. I was told that in the future the inexpensive booking class passangers e.g. may be able to book only middle seats.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:18 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
This was quite recently and I was told the this way of appriciating both FF passangers and those who has expensive booking classes will be increasing. I was told that in the future the inexpensive booking class passangers e.g. may be able to book only middle seats.
Care to elaborate who told you this?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:00 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
+1

(Not as in a mistrust - just to know if it seemed like something they just said because they really didn't know why they did it or if it was an official headoffice sanctioned SOP = undocumented elite/Y/B/H perk)

I am happy if this is the case - not that I will use it since I am usually on a J ticket, but it is good to know they use the unsold space to promote loyalty.

...inexpensive booking class passangers e.g. may be able to book only middle seats.
Hopefully not the middle seat they should block next to the plat
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
It was told by purser during one of my flights from SIN-HEL.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:42 pm

It was told by purser during one of my flights from SIN-HEL.
OK, very interesting way to "leak" such possible future service/concept information to customer(s).

Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Well, I guess the only way to know for sure is to wake up early in the morning before (damn the 36 hours) and see what's the situation. In principle I'd reckon Y load is high in these flights and C load light so everything is possible but...

If the rumors are true, I'm going to hold with both hand on my OWS-status as most of my flying is on AY and it seems that at least so far AY respects the OW-status and I doubt that will change dramatically.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Sounds like a pretty awful idea. I mean the middle seat thing, I'm very much fine with reserving the best seats to elites/high booking classes.

Basically that'd mean that two friends on separate reservations could not sit together, and even for the elites traveling together with somebody the pickings could be much worse than they are now, as all the middle seats would be taken (meaning that there's nowhere to sit with your partner).

In general, I'm not big fan of creating elite "benefits" that are simply based on making it worse for the rest. "Now our elites get seats with no spikes sticking out of them, and the FA:s won't kick them every time they pass by - enjoy your new perks"
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by mkgrip
Sounds like a pretty awful idea. I mean the middle seat thing, I'm very much fine with reserving the best seats to elites/high booking classes.

Basically that'd mean that two friends on separate reservations could not sit together, and even for the elites traveling together with somebody the pickings could be much worse than they are now, as all the middle seats would be taken (meaning that there's nowhere to sit with your partner).

In general, I'm not big fan of creating elite "benefits" that are simply based on making it worse for the rest. "Now our elites get seats with no spikes sticking out of them, and the FA:s won't kick them every time they pass by - enjoy your new perks"
My personal view is that this would never ever work in practice. The current system where people can pay in advance for seats and elites can choose foc is already enough. Then the rest can choose from 36hrs...I do not see any need to further classify against booking classes..nor can I see how would such a move generate more business to AY.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:47 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Unless by middle seats they mean the center seats - and only the seat pair next to windows would be blocked.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by mkgrip

"
According to my understanding from the purser, the middle seat would not be taken...away, if you ment that. Understanding was the cheaper booking class passangers would be able to take e.g. in Y only middle seats e.g. in 2+4+2 plains (the once in the middle of 4 seats) and aisle seats would be for more expensive booking classes.
Nice example of language confusions...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

I was pretty sure I saw a report of this concept recently somewhere here on FT, but cannot find it now. (looked at "justfly" of AB and the "seat only" on NZ, didn't find it)

Anyway, I'd say this is in line with the idea of competing with LCC. They could introduce a "lowest fare" where you don't get anything else besides the transport. It would be a limited number of tickets, so there would be no problem finding them and forcibly putting them in the worst seats, like middle seat in the back.

This model works on NZ at least. If you only care about price - buy this fare. If you carry a briefcase - don't buy this fare. If you travel with someone - don't buy this fare. If you drink coffee - don't buy this fare. et.c

This is not to lower quality to create a perk for high paying customers, this is to be able to advertise lowest price. They are never sold in volume, they are to show that legacy can offer cheap tix too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.