Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Madrid flights operated by Smartlynx Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

While booking flights to Lisbon I noticed that some of the Finnair Madrid flights will be operated by Smartlynx Airlines in October. Does anyone have any info what that is all about? Lack of aircraft, perhaps (Finnair usually uses A321 on Madrid route).

I had never heard of Smartlynx Airlines before. I almost made a reservation to Lisbon via Madrid but eventually chose another route, because of this unknown operator.

I hope this is just a temporary solutions. I hate when airlines uses other companies with different onboard product. We all remember Blue1 doing that a lot not a long time ago.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
About SmartLynx Airlines

SmartLynx Airlines operates under its own Latvian AOC in compliance with EU OPS. We currently have in our fleet six Airbus 320-200 and two Boeing 767-300.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: LH Senator Lifetime
http://www.lentoposti.fi/node/1641

So it seems to be permanent from October. I wonder what this means service-wise on board.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by SAKKE
http://www.lentoposti.fi/node/1641

So it seems to be permanent from October. I wonder what this means service-wise on board.
I'm sure service has been "improved"
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:27 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Will MAD continue to have J class or shall we say goodbye to this direct route?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Smartlynx's A320s seems to be econ class only.

J could still be offered of course, with blocked middle seat and the complementary leaf of salad presented in a plastic box.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Smartlynx's A320s seems to be econ class only.

J could still be offered of course, with blocked middle seat and the complementary leaf of salad presented in a plastic box.
I don't know about others but the blocked middle is a huge benefit for me in short haul J. Gives you some guaranteed breathing space and you can avoid physical contact with your fellow pax..very much appreciated on flights to destinations as far as MAD..
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Confusion builds up. Finnair still sells J class tickets to Madrid flights operated by Smartlynx. No mention about the different onboard product. Moreover, according to the Smartlynx webpages, service is indeed oneclass with buy on board service.

They was another thread about service on routes where Finnair and Flybe flights alter. Different onboard service there as well.

Finnair is really doing it s best to confuse its passangers and to irritate its regular flyers like my self and rest of the people on this board.

Luckyly my two upcoming flights to Madrid still seems to be operated by Finnair with the normal J class service (if not some quick alternations are made to that).

Oh boy, it really seems a good time to quickly burn the remaining Finnair points and start seeking if the grass is greener somewhere else...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:07 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I don't know about others but the blocked middle is a huge benefit for me in short haul J. Gives you some guaranteed breathing space and you can avoid physical contact with your fellow pax..very much appreciated on flights to destinations as far as MAD..
Absolutely a good thing.

Originally Posted by teme
Confusion builds up. Finnair still sells J class tickets to Madrid flights operated by Smartlynx. No mention about the different onboard product. Moreover, according to the Smartlynx webpages, service is indeed oneclass with buy on board service.

Well, for euro-traffic there is no promise of a better seating in J class. Many of AY's own metal has no difference in cabin between Y and J. So moving to a Smartlynx plane that is configured as econ only is not different to say a AY E190. But if they stop serving the free leaf of salad then it might get difficult to sell those J seats for a premium of 500€....
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
I was once forced to fly SmartLynx HEL-BRU-HEL during the strike in December 2010. That time it was one-class only and the plane (A320) truly had seen its best days... Definitely not something to look forward to!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: LH Senator Lifetime
According to Wikipedia "the SmartLynx Airlines fleet consists of 8 Airbus A320 aircraft with an average age of 19.6 years".
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:33 am

What will this type of el cheapo wet leasing do to AY's already fading imago? They are in really, really serious trouble as a company...this is just desparate to me..if they cannot do basic stuff (=fly!!) themselves why don't just admit it and file for bankrupcy or something in that nature..sell whatever is worth something and let's move on w/o Finnair..
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by SAKKE
According to Wikipedia "the SmartLynx Airlines fleet consists of 8 Airbus A320 aircraft with an average age of 19.6 years".
Airfleets.net has them down to 3 active A320s, acquired in 2010/2011, with first date in service 1991/1992. Not sure what is correct though.

The article linked in post 3 seems to talk about the motive (a native finnish FTer can perhaps confirm?); That due to the failure of finding a large partner for the rest of the euro-traffic, they are looking for smaller partners to outsource route for route.
Now, is that a guess, or is there any reliable source to that?
Official AY press release only says they are continuing "analysing the cooperation oppertunities in order to solve the problems related to our Europeean airbus traffic" .

If they are down to outsourcing to anyone who is happy to get the deal, then... mama mia.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Smartlynx is operating an A320 named YL-LCC
Sometimes reality trumps fantasy!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:53 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Ok... so this sucks...

I'm guessing the service concept will remain unaltered, but the pitch definately won't. SmartLynx uses 180 seats config in their A320, which happens to be the same as easyJet and Wizzair and the design maximum for the type: a charter config.

Compare that with the 159 AY uses now. That's over three more rows stuffed into the same aluminum tube, does not sound very comfy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.