Finnair going low cost

Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: AY Emerald
Originally Posted by intuition
Finally some good news
The big question is, do they offer en-suite sauna?
That is not the issue... which is wheather to have smoke sauna, steam sauna, traditional ordinary stone sauna, turkish sauna, removable party sauna with removable stones... etc. AND cold refreshing water available: very cold +4 degrees centigrates, finnish lake temperature +16-21 if your lucky etc... and how about after sauna procedures...
Avoiding more discussions on how airlines should arrange the facilities for saunas we could arrange FF meetings around real sauna ideas....
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I guess with going low-cost, the onboard sauna is also out

Finnairs business-reisende kan kaste klćrne

http://www.dn.no/forsiden/naringsliv/article1870254.ece

Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:45 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

I was commenting SPBankers hotel upgrade, but this is even better (sauna on 43.th floor vs sauna on 11000 m). We all love a sauna with a view, right?
"It is a great way of using the heat from the engines" Love that one!

It is clear that a Finland-DO should contain a sauna-session, even if one don't have to take it to the extremes ( IIRC Finland still holds the world record in hottest sauna. Also in sauna-pulling -- mount wheels on your sauna, put your buddies inside and pull it the furthest distance).
Old Jun 26, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: SK*(LT)G, AY
We all love a sauna with a view, right?
Especially in the see-through plane
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...come-2050.html
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:17 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Finally some good news
The big question is, do they offer en-suite sauna?
No saunas here.

Saunas on planes... Now there's a way to make your airline different!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exit seat for money

AY is now selling some exit seats for money - how low cost modell is that?

I bought a short haul Y ticket yesterday, went to seat selection, selected the exit seats and only later did I realize that I was hit by a 8€ charge for one of them. There might have been a notice somewhere that the seat is for money, but didn't see it
Old Jun 28, 2012, 1:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
AY is now selling some exit seats for money - how low cost modell is that?

I bought a short haul Y ticket yesterday, went to seat selection, selected the exit seats and only later did I realize that I was hit by a 8€ charge for one of them. There might have been a notice somewhere that the seat is for money, but didn't see it
8€ looks to me like the "ordinary" fee for seat selection, i.e. not for the specific seat. Did you select seats for someone else, or your bunch of shiny metal cards did not help waiving the fee? Or was it really a specific fee for exit row?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

It is supposed to look like this:
(notice that the Silver benefit is not valid for exit row)
Code:
Add-on cost for pre reserving seat
(seat selection at check-in free of charge)

No status	AY Silver	AY plat, gold,
								OW Emerald, Sapphire 
                                                                or Y, B, H, X booking class
Domestic, Scandinavia, Baltics, 
Any seat in Y			6 €		3 €		Free

Europe, any seat in Y		8 €		4 €		Free

LongHaul, exit row Y		60 €		60 €		Free*

LongHaul, Front row (bulk h.)	40 €		20 €		Free*

LongHaul, any other Y-seat	20 €		10 €		Free

Any seat in J			Free		Free		Free

*Booking classes Y, B, H, X are the odd fishes. Seat selection of "other seat" 
is free, but not exit row or bulkhead
Come to think of it, I highly doubt that AY will make much/any money on this? My guess is that people who are familiar with the benefits of being seated in exit row on a longhaul flight already have some status on some airline. Those exit rows will quickly be snagged up by status holders for free.

Last edited by intuition; Jun 28, 2012 at 2:54 am Reason: Added exception for Y, B, H, X
Old Jun 28, 2012, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8€ looks to me like the "ordinary" fee for seat selection, i.e. not for the specific seat. Did you select seats for someone else, or your bunch of shiny metal cards did not help waiving the fee? Or was it really a specific fee for exit row?
Booking fow someone else (no status) and for exit seat. Interestingly, only one of the two exit seats incurred the charge. (better seat, to be sure, no seat at all in front of it)

Come to think of it there was a remark somewhere along the lines of "seat selection is just preference, final seat is allocated at check-in, except for paid for seats"

This might have been there for a while but never had come across it
Old Jun 28, 2012, 3:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Come to think of it there was a remark somewhere along the lines of "seat selection is just preference, final seat is allocated at check-in, except for paid for seats"
I guess they needed to add that, as otherwise you would be paying for air. I think they still will juggle you around for op. reasons, but in that case they need to at least refund. If you were only paying for stating your preference, then...

Booking fow someone else (no status) and for exit seat. Interestingly, only one of the two exit seats incurred the charge. (better seat, to be sure, no seat at all in front of it)
All the seats that are coloured in the seat selection tool are supposed to come with an charge, I'll guess.
No silver card involved (= 2 times 4€)?
Or you were logged in yourself, and a glitch in the system let you have the first seat selected free of charge?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the seats that are coloured in the seat selection tool are supposed to come with an charge, I'll guess.
No silver card involved (= 2 times 4€)?
Or you were logged in yourself, and a glitch in the system let you have the first seat selected free of charge?
No silver involved, it'd been Gold (mine) or nothing (pax)

I guess it could be that the exit seat on one leg is actually nothing out of ordinary, whereas the paid leg is 22A, with no 21A in front of it.

Whatever - needs to look at this more carefully in the future.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: klm/AF gold,BA gold
not good is it

Having enjoyed? the enhanced meal on sunday and "looking forward" to another today might i add my two penneth worth. The salad in a plastic bowl is awful. I will be giving feedback! Usually there are no more than 4 or 5 pax in J on the MAN HEL leg so its down to pennies Finnair. I would rather have food than a newspaper. ( available i see to purchase in Y). Please un enhance this route in October
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:28 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by cracklehillhogg
Having enjoyed? the enhanced meal on sunday and "looking forward" to another today might i add my two penneth worth. The salad in a plastic bowl is awful. I will be giving feedback! Usually there are no more than 4 or 5 pax in J on the MAN HEL leg so its down to pennies Finnair. I would rather have food than a newspaper. ( available i see to purchase in Y). Please un enhance this route in October
I really feel everybody flying that route should protest, preferably in writing, to let AY know how the pax feel.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: klm/AF gold,BA gold
i will

In the lounge at HEL, with the now enhanced wireless . Actually the airport is dead and the wireless good for a change. I have the card of the appropriate department and will complain shortly. The lady on the front desk says that they have had no end of complaints. But it at least means that on a trip to TLL in the next week or so i may as well book in Y and save a lot of money.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cracklehillhogg
In the lounge at HEL, with the now enhanced wireless . Actually the airport is dead and the wireless good for a change. I have the card of the appropriate department and will complain shortly. The lady on the front desk says that they have had no end of complaints. But it at least means that on a trip to TLL in the next week or so i may as well book in Y and save a lot of money.
If you fly to TLL ex-HEL you can save a bunch by ignoring AY and booking on OV. (about half the price) Or if you want to have some fun, take the chopper!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.