Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: clifford79
Current and historical promotions

This is a thread for reporting details of promotions in the Finnair+ program.

The purpose of the wiki is to keep a repository of current and historical promotions. This works best if all details are given in a post of the thread. Once such a post is made, edit the wiki and add a short description of promo in headline-style, with a link to the post that holds the detailed information. (You can create such a link by right-clicking the post-number and copy link location).
Do not link to the promo itself from the Wiki, as the promo page is likely to disappear once the promo ended and such link will die, leaving the wiki sans historical info.

Feel free to discuss alterations to the format in the thread below.

Do not delete historical posts.

Signup period - Promotion

130502 - 130814 SH upgrades for 3750 (norm 7500) or 5000 (norm 10000), LH upgrades for 35000/45000
140102 - 140121 SH upgrades for 3750 (norm 7500) or 5000 (norm 10000)
140505 - 140731 SH upgrades for 3750 (norm 7500) or 5000 (norm 10000)
160105 - 160126 SH upgrades for 5000 (norm 7500) or 8000 (norm 10000)
160404 - 160630 Double points for JL flights (operated and marketed by JL) PAR-TYO and FRA-TYO
160503 - 160613 SH upgrades for 5000 (norm 7500) or 8000 (norm 10000)
160621 - 161009 Double points AY flights to and from FUK until 2016-10-09
160621 - 161030 Double points AY flights to and from CAN until 2016-10-30
160912 - 170131 Fly across the Atlantic and earn double points 2017-01-31 - (dead link, historical info lost)
160926 - 161030 Double points BRA, domestic swedish flights before 2017-01-31
160929 - 161017 Triple points for one trip departing Sweden, Denmark and Norway (N.b. targeted to Scandinavian members!)
161124 - 161128 2k extra points for trip (possibly trips) flown before 2017-MAR-31
161129 - 161230 2k extra points for one shorthaul, 5k extra points for one longhaul. Fly before 170731
170127 - 170130 2k extra points for booking made during the signup period to China. Only for Finns.
170115 - 170331 Use 20 Finnair plus partners, earn up to 20k extrapoints (has spawned into a major separate discussion)
170202 - 170224 Buy points with up to 45% bonus
170209 - 170215 Valentine promo, small discount econ comfort + win upgrade for two
170207 - 170227 Enter a draw to win 2 longhaul upgrades on STO-Asia, targeted to sweden
170217 - 170228 Enter a draw to win 2 tickets to Helsinki and World Figure Skating, targeted to Sweden
170228 - 170313 SH upgrades for 5000 (norm 7500) or 8000 (norm 10000)
Print Wikipost

2018 and earlier promotions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
They're your mom's, not yours - so definitely worth it

If your mom has a bit bigger pile, for 20€ customer service can transfer it to your account.
Well, she indeed has a bit bigger pile, just under 6k and no real hope for reaching like 10k before her first points would expire. She's an infrequent flyer, and when she has to fly for work, they almost always put her on LH and not amy oneworld carrier.

I think I had not presented the other side of my dilemma: I would find a promotion like the one to CKG a much better use for 5k points than a shorthaul upgrade. I, however, could not convince anyone to join me for a long weekend there this autumn. I doubt there will be any similar promotions in the next 1.5 years. In that case I would certainly burn her points for an upgrade.

(Actually my account also has a pretty low balance, since I credit to AA, where discount Y at least earns some decent amount of miles, unlike az AY.)

BTW, is there soft landing in AY+?

I frequently use family members' points in a dictatorial way
And don't they object it?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by JnsV
BTW, is there soft landing in AY+?
Yes, you go from Gold to Silver - and AY Silver still gets you to the AY lounges and even the ex-MA lounge in BUD (the lady there once commented, that "AY is quite generous providing access to its silvers")

And don't they object it?
Which part of "dictatorial" you need explained?

No, they don't, because I am the family's designated high mage of FFP and keeper of all related secrets and rites.

They find it a bit funny but don't object being on the receiving end
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
Yes, you go from Gold to Silver - and AY Silver still gets you to the AY lounges and even the ex-MA lounge in BUD (the lady there once commented, that "AY is quite generous providing access to its silvers")
Is this soft landing policy made public anywhere?

Having AY+ Silver may even be a higher incentive to fly Finnair then Gold.

Do you or does anyone have experience with soft landing if you collect zero points during the tracking period?

Which part of "dictatorial" you need explained?

No, they don't, because I am the family's designated high mage of FFP and keeper of all related secrets and rites.

They find it a bit funny but don't object being on the receiving end
I understand. My GF either did not object when I took her on her first flight in C. The only problem was that I promised her a sandwich that she could take from the flight when I originally booked economy, and in business MA served a full lunch. We both enjoyed it very much, but then she complained me about the sandwich. I had hard time to convince the purser (she was summoned by the FA serving C after my request) that after a complete lunch we would still like to get a pair of those crappy sandwiches, worth ca. 0.5 EUR.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this soft landing policy made public anywhere?
Having AY+ Silver may even be a higher incentive to fly Finnair then Gold.

Do you or does anyone have experience with soft landing if you collect zero points during the tracking period?
Now that you say, I looked it up and it says

"In the case that you haven’t collected sufficient tier points to remain a Gold member, your remaining point balance will determine your new tier. If this happens, your tier point balance will be set to zero and a new tracking period will begin."

So it looks like hard landing - sorry for my misinformation. Obviously some things changed after I had been demoted to Silver the last time

BTW - What do you mean by Silver being a higher incentive than Gold?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
I collected the vast sum of 500 tier points in my membership year, and got soft landing from Gold to Silver.
Got a funny letter as well, "Even though your points werent just enough to remain Gold, please take this silver card" etcetc.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 1:00 am

Now that you say, I looked it up and it says

"In the case that you haven’t collected sufficient tier points to remain a Gold member, your remaining point balance will determine your new tier. If this happens, your tier point balance will be set to zero and a new tracking period will begin."

So it looks like hard landing - sorry for my misinformation. Obviously some things changed after I had been demoted to Silver the last time
We will see. Based on that 500 point experience, I will certainly try to credit at least one flight to AY+ during my tracking period. As long as I mainly fly discount eco, AY+ will not be the program that gives me status easily.

BTW - What do you mean by Silver being a higher incentive than Gold?
Because if I am not able to earn AA Plat for next year (it may or may not happen), but have AY Silver, then I would have lounge access only when flying AY, whilst my current AY Gold gives me statuswide lounge access.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by dera
I collected the vast sum of 500 tier points in my membership year, and got soft landing from Gold to Silver.
Got a funny letter as well, "Even though your points werent just enough to remain Gold, please take this silver card" etcetc.
Thank you for sharing your experience. 500 points seem to be doable within a year.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by dera
I think that while Finnair officially says one thing, what they may choose to do is another. They actually seem to exercise a fair amount of judgement about granting e.g. silver, because it is good PR in some cases to do so, give the sense of special treatment that might get some loyalty in return.

I've heard of people, when joining Finnair Plus, receiving silver automatically for example, if they have some history with the company. It would seem to fit that a person, perhaps one with a longer history of using the company, would not automatically hard land to basic after one slow year.

But on the other hand, if you're just some odd-ball with one gold under your belt and then no flights the next, and it is an especially bad year for Finnair or something, hard landing could happen instead.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Thank you for sharing your experience. 500 points seem to be doable within a year.
Yeah, the same year I did make BAEC nothing->gold in a few months so I didnt completely stop flying, I just swapped to more beneficial programs
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To my great surprise this still works!

I upg'd jr on one leg where she'll have extra luggage. 5k for the upgrade vs 12k for the extra luggage fee. Easy math. Plus the cool factor among her peers of having lounge access, prio checkin & security, decent meal in the front...
Old May 29, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by SPBanker
AY+ members can now book European flights with somewhat lower prices than normally. But the more interesting thing (for me) is the promotion that allows upgrading to biz within Europe with half points, i.e. 3500 in Northern Europe and 5000 other European routes. This is a promotion I like.
The summer upgrade promotion is on for this year as well. I couldn't find it advertised anywhere, and it didn't show up on the International-English AY site. The quoted text below is from the Finland-English website, but previous years it has not been restricted to ex-HEL, so chances are it is not the case this time either.

You might need to be logged in to your AY+ account to be able to see the offer.

Finnair Plus points enable you to fly more comfortably. Use your points to upgrade your travel class and fly business class at economy class prices.

Northern Europe: 3,750 points/one direction/person.
Rest of Europe: 5,000 points/one direction/person.

On sale 2 May – 14 August 2013 –14.8.2013
Dates between which flights must be made: valid until further notice.

Applies to new bookings. Travel class upgrades are only available for Finnair scheduled flights (there is an AY flight number on the ticket and the flight is operated by Finnair or Flybe).

35,000 points/one direction/person: Bangkok, Chongqing, Delhi, Hanoi, New York, Xi’an.
45,000 points/one direction/person: Hongkong and Singapore.

On sale 2 May – 14 August 2013
Dates between which flights must be made: 1 June – 31 October 2013 (Xi’an 16 June –26 October 2013, Hanoi 17 June – 27 October 2013)
Old May 29, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is really on - for 30k we upgrade 3 r/t tickets for the holiday. Very good value at 5k/leg!
Old May 29, 2013, 6:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It is really on - for 30k we upgrade 3 r/t tickets for the holiday. Very good value at 5k/leg!
Existing tickets?
The qoute above seems to indicate that is only applies to tickets bought after the promotion was announced.
Old May 29, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
Existing tickets?
The qoute above seems to indicate that is only applies to tickets bought after the promotion was announced.
No, bought after 2/May. IMO they'd upgrade any ticket, even if the T&C says otherwise
Old May 29, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
No, bought after 2/May. IMO they'd upgrade any ticket, even if the T&C says otherwise
Can confirm that - I just upgraded my CDG-HEL flight next week. The ticket was bought in January!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.