FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   We all have our hobbies (MRs in today's HS) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1330536-we-all-have-our-hobbies-mrs-todays-hs.html)

SPBanker Mar 30, 2012 12:27 am

We all have our hobbies (MRs in today's HS)

This morning's Helsingin Sanomat has a big piece on "different" travels. One of the people interviewed, Ilkka Mannikainen, flies ten LHs annually and almost always returns on the same plane, i.e. without staying in the target city at all (the exception is NYC). What makes this is even more impressive is that he travels Y (not counting the occasional upgrade). Somebody from these here boards? :p

There was also a funny anecdote about HEL-SIN flight where CEO Mika Vehviläinen asked him "if everything was OK?".

WilcoRoger Mar 30, 2012 2:13 am

Not me - 10 LHs in AY's whY cabin? For the fun of it? Nightmare.

NoWindowSeat Mar 30, 2012 4:02 am

I'm with WilcoRoger on this one, 10 (AY whY long haul) turnarounds in a year...? What is this person flying for then...just for status or what's the motivation behind, did he say that on the interview? I cannot imagine anyone doing mileage running in AY whY just for the points as you earn nothing and the points are worth nothing (or very little anyway)..

Some mileage running makes perfect sense (to most FT people anyway) but to fly 10 long hauls in whY (just for the sake of it?) doesn't make any bloody sense...does he say how much he flies in total outside these "trips for nothing"?

I wonder too if this person is on FT and on this forum, I would imagine that most of such people would have found FT if they are using internet in the first place.. :)

SPBanker Mar 30, 2012 4:27 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat (Post 18301315)
Some mileage running makes perfect sense (to most FT people anyway) but to fly 10 long hauls in whY (just for the sake of it?) doesn't make any bloody sense...does he say how much he flies in total outside these "trips for nothing"?

OK, that MR was completely mine, because... well, I tried to find some justification. "There are all kindsa hobbies. I fly for fun, and many people think that's strange." ("Harrastuksia on monenlaisia. Minä lennän huvikseni, ja moni pitää sitä erikoisena.")

It doesn't say anything about other flights.

NoWindowSeat Mar 30, 2012 5:21 am

Originally Posted by SPBanker (Post 18301360)
OK, that MR was completely mine, because... well, I tried to find some justification. "There are all kindsa hobbies. I fly for fun, and many people think that's strange." ("Harrastuksia on monenlaisia. Minä lennän huvikseni, ja moni pitää sitä erikoisena.")

It doesn't say anything about other flights.

OK, then it makes a bit more sense...I thought this had something to do with flying for some goal/purpose=miles/status but it seems he just wants to fly..maybe then he hasn't even heard of FT as this is mainly for mileage and status junkies anyway ;)

But as usual our mileage does vary and people could spend their time and money in many much more unhealthy ways..as many do..

mkgrip Mar 30, 2012 6:36 am

I cannot imagine anyone doing mileage running in AY whY just for the points as you earn nothing and the points are worth nothing (or very little anyway)..

Depends where he credits to, AA still gives you full miles so depending on which routes he flies mostly and what other flying he does, he might earn anything up to executive platinum on AA. (On AY Minus he might or might not make silver if that's cheapo-Y)

tentativetraveller Mar 30, 2012 6:54 am

I wonder too if this person is on FT and on this forum

edit: Nevermind my guessing....

Kallio Mar 30, 2012 7:12 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat (Post 18301450)
OK, then it makes a bit more sense...I thought this had something to do with flying for some goal/purpose=miles/status but it seems he just wants to fly..maybe then he hasn't even heard of FT as this is mainly for mileage and status junkies anyway ;)

But as usual our mileage does vary and people could spend their time and money in many much more unhealthy ways..as many do..

Mr. Mannikainen is quite active member of the Finnish aviation forum flightforum.fi where everybody uses their real names. Of course it is impossible to tell whether he reads or posts here and if so, whether he wants to reveal his nickname. He has taken part in FFP-related discussions over there with not always so positive comments about AY Plus changes.

At least I've got an impression that he just likes flying but naturally takes an advantage of AY Plus and/or other FFPs. Not something that I would do myself, but there are weirder hobbies.

NoWindowSeat Mar 30, 2012 8:09 am

Originally Posted by mkgrip (Post 18301655)
Depends where he credits to, AA still gives you full miles so depending on which routes he flies mostly and what other flying he does, he might earn anything up to executive platinum on AA. (On AY Minus he might or might not make silver if that's cheapo-Y)

Valid point and it's true that AA would be the best OW program for most coach flyers, especially those who fly a lot on el-cheapo coach tickets and do a lot of long hauling, especially if the target is status and standard flight awards. Upgrades are tougher, though, if one flies mainly AY metal and credits to AA.

SPBanker Mar 30, 2012 11:28 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat (Post 18302151)
Valid point and it's true that AA would be the best OW program for most coach flyers, especially those who fly a lot on el-cheapo coach tickets and do a lot of long hauling, especially if the target is status and standard flight awards. Upgrades are tougher, though, if one flies mainly AY metal and credits to AA.

The article mentioned that he has been upgraded a few times when the plane is full. Never mind if he is here or not, this guy is pretty hardcore about flying. I admire him like I admire all people who can do something I can't.

hrnt Mar 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Here is a link (in Finnish):

http://www.hs.fi/matka/Perillä+jo+ma...a1305558862967

NoWindowSeat Mar 31, 2012 1:34 am

Originally Posted by SPBanker (Post 18303552)
The article mentioned that he has been upgraded a few times when the plane is full. Never mind if he is here or not, this guy is pretty hardcore about flying. I admire him like I admire all people who can do something I can't.

Yes, I was just referring to the fact that you cannot upgrade on AY with AA (or any other OW) points. After reading the article I have to say that this guy really loves flying, big props for that! ^

It's so different when you can do something you like and and choose yourself rather than being "forced" to do something when someone else decides on your behalf (referring to most business travel..)

joorinainen Apr 2, 2012 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 18301084)
Not me - 10 LHs in AY's whY cabin? For the fun of it? Nightmare.

+1