Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair service on Mia - cdg - hel - hkg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:34 am
Original Poster

My wife and I are flying for the first time internationally, and are considering Finnair out of Miami, connecting in Paris, Helsinki and finally to Hong Kong. There are shorter routes from the southern US to Hong Kong, but given the time frame we need to travel and the price, this seems like a good option. Is anyone familiar with Finnair or this route? Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i've never flown finnair, but i suggest that if you do, you should consider sending the ff mi to aa.....

what cabin will you book?

edit to add.....the route is ~ 21k mi rt....

pps....there is a finnair forum in the mi & pts area.....

you may want to look there and/or ask the mods to move your thread...

Last edited by clacko; Mar 8, 2012 at 11:12 am
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:46 am

I'm assuming you will fly AA from MIA to CDG? Are your trips in economy class?

IIRC, the last time I flew FinnAir long haul in economy, they did not have personal in flight entertainment and the food was mediocre. I can live with ok food, but I really hate not having AVOD on long flights.

If this is your first time traveling abroad, you will get pretty tired with this itinerary. If the price differential for flying MIA-JFK/ORD/SFO/LAX-HKG is not too high, I would strongly recommend you do that.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:28 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
kam311, welcome to FlyerTalk. I'll move this to FlyerTalk's Finnair forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:59 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Yep, it's AA metal on MIA-CDG leg and you're most likely familiar with their service/product?

Finnair have personal IFE on A330/340 also in coach so you'd have that on the HEL-HKG leg.

With that being said, AY coach (if that's your choice of class) is really nothing more than the name suggest (coach) and I would seriously look at for example BA via LHR or AA/CX combo via LAX/SFO/JFK with only one stop...only as the last resort would I do that routing via CDG/HEL..but that's just me
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: AY Gold
I have flown HEL-HKG (Y-class) on AY a couple of times and I have liked the experience. New aircraft, personal IFE (AVOD), nice crews... their meals were the weakest part but still edible. Helsinki airport is excellent for transit, I would avoid Paris CDG though.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Andaman
I have flown HEL-HKG (Y-class) on AY a couple of times and I have liked the experience. New aircraft, personal IFE (AVOD), nice crews... their meals were the weakest part but still edible. Helsinki airport is excellent for transit, I would avoid Paris CDG though.
I agree that AY might be OK for point to point HEL-HKG but I still want to point out that BA/CX are far superior products and can offer the route with only one connection.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:28 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
What is so superior about BA coach vs. AY coach? I have flown both, and don't think there is that great of a difference either way.

If we would be talking about Club then I might agree (at least if no flat-bed plane with AY).

As the OP said that the price seems to be right for him and he is aware that there are shorter connections, I'd say that if there is a clear price difference vs. one connection options the onboard products themselves there is no reason not to take this route.
My biggest gripe would be going through CDG, usually not the most pleasant experience, although doable.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by mkgrip
What is so superior about BA coach vs. AY coach? I have flown both, and don't think there is that great of a difference either way.
I'm by no means coach expert (haven't flown in long haul coach in years) so you might be totally right as my view is based on what I hear/read..my peers are telling me that AY coach is very much charter like and that's also how it looks to me when walking through the cabin..also I've heard that the food portions are extremely small...if that's how it's everywhere today, well I rest my case.

If nothing else then the 2 transits with one being at CDG is my next argument against this routing

But like I said, that's just me, luckily people can fly what ever routes/airlines they wish...
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:56 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I'm by no means coach expert (haven't flown in long haul coach in years) so you might be totally right as my view is based on what I hear/read..my peers are telling me that AY coach is very much charter like and that's also how it looks to me when walking through the cabin..also I've heard that the food portions are extremely small...if that's how it's everywhere today, well I rest my case.

If nothing else then the 2 transits with one being at CDG is my next argument against this routing

But like I said, that's just me, luckily people can fly what ever routes/airlines they wish...
In my opinion, AY coach is pretty "normal" compared to other carriers for longhauls. There are a few exceptions though: BKK, YYZ and JFK don't have free alcoholic drinks (*), which is pretty poor especially now when even AA has those for free.

(*) They are free only during the meal service
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by hrnt
There are a few exceptions though: BKK, YYZ and JFK don't have free alcoholic drinks (*), which is pretty poor especially now when even AA has those for free.
Why do AY have separate service on some routes, pax don't know what to expect..really strange??
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Why do AY have separate service on some routes, pax don't know what to expect..really strange??
It is pretty confusing, especially because the drinks (at least in my experience) on the JFK route are free before the meal. I would imagine that people who are unaware of this will be pretty surprised that something that used to be free early on the flight suddenly costs something.

So remember, the optimal strategy is to stock up before and during the meal, and then live off that supply for the rest of the flight
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:26 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by hrnt
BKK, YYZ and JFK don't have free alcoholic drinks (*), which is pretty poor especially now when even AA has those for free.

(*) They are free only during the meal service
Argh, maybe someone never finished "Brand management 101".
To build brand loyalty you really should make sure there is a consistent image of what to expect from that brand. If you don't provide the same service, don't give it the same name.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: AY Emerald
The routes don't have free alcohol drinks in economy. I flew today from GRU-LHR-HEL and only water, coffee/tea, soft drinks were free. it is a common practice now of days.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: AY Emerald
Depends what you want. Kindly refer to www.amadeus.net web pages.

In brief: MIA-ORD-HKG, 1 change, total time 16h.
MIA-LHR-HEL-HKG, 2 changes, total time 31h 25 min.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.