Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Does the Nordea card have any side benefits like travel insurance? If so, it's potentially better than the plain Finnair MC, even for Platina.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Does the Nordea card have any side benefits like travel insurance? If so, it's potentially better than the plain Finnair MC, even for Platina.
Yes it do have travel insurance. If your tickets are paid with card the travel insurance is valid. However, I have never needed to make any claim. Doesn't know how good/bad it is.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by Courmisch
It has but it is very limited, does not even cover trip cancellation, interruption, delays. Whatever it covers also have deductible limits. Nordea Gold has much better.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:16 pm

You also have to pay 100% of your trip with the card to get the insurance.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
not impressive at all. 1e =2p seem to be the only perk that matters.

Insurance, my main dansk plat has, and pretty much any premium credit card has. (good perk, but one rarely use it)

What i want from Airline credit card is travel related perk where normal credit cards dont offer. Eg DC's lounge perk
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Clydez
What i want from Airline credit card is travel related perk where normal credit cards dont offer. Eg DC's lounge perk
Then there's basically not many viable options and out of them I recommend going for AMEX Platinum, especially with the sign-up bonus from someone. Handelsbanken MC Platinum also gives you Priority Pass, but there's no FFP perks, unlike with AMEX and the AY co-branded cards.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Then there's basically not many viable options and out of them I recommend going for AMEX Platinum, especially with the sign-up bonus from someone. Handelsbanken MC Platinum also gives you Priority Pass, but there's no FFP perks, unlike with AMEX and the AY co-branded cards.
AMEX is way too expensive compared to what they offer in Finland. acceptance is another issue.

I am waiting to see if finnair can pull out some magic last minute add more offering into the Nordea MC.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Clydez
AMEX is way too expensive compared to what they offer in Finland. acceptance is another issue.
The included insurance policies, PP, Centurion Lounges, complimentary status with partners and MR points are very nice and handy. The Platinum card isn't cheap anywhere and it's for a reason. Acceptance isn't IMO a big issue, but it depends on where you shop. Personally online shopping is the thing for me.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:28 am

The included insurance policies, PP, Centurion Lounges, complimentary status with partners and MR points are very nice and handy. The Platinum card isn't cheap anywhere and it's for a reason. Acceptance isn't IMO a big issue, but it depends on where you shop. Personally online shopping is the thing for me.
PP is the only thing i want from Amex (occasionally non status flights). thats why its not worth it for me. i considered this couple years before , then went with DC.

That being said, the AY MC is probably the only option for me.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Its cheaper in many places though and there is often offers MORE benefits for less
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
Its cheaper in many places though and there is often offers MORE benefits for less
Yes, indeed - cheaper, but not cheap as in cheap enough for Finns that queue for free plastic buckets. That having said, I agree that the card is a bit lacking here, but there's not much options. However the pricing in e.g. the UK and US isn't cheap in local terms, which is what counts when doing a comparison. Thus my comment was relevant. The credit card market is very uninteresting here and it doesn't help that it's kinda a shame to use one.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Through the referral program you can still get a full free year of Amex Gold, right?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by tsastor
Through the referral program you can still get a full free year of Amex Gold, right?
Yes, a free year for the new customer and 10 000 MR points for both parties.

Always happy to give a hand.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Yes, a free year for the new customer and 10 000 MR points for both parties.

Always happy to give a hand.

The free year deal is a good selling point now for referrals as you only get the first 3 months free is you get the card directly from AX without a referral 👍👍
FFlash likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by TTL
Well well well. AmericanExpress does serve americans too well indeed!

Happy owner of one of those... Had to pull the trigger when I saw the situation here in FI

Originally Posted by FFlash
OT and probably OMNI - I feel so sad about elderly people and such that have to fork out 3€ monthly or so for that greedy bank.
I might as well hand Nalle Wahlroos a few euros anytime I see him in the lounge if he is that addicted to money.

end OT.
All banks are greedy. There are few "traditional" banks left that wont charge fee for keeping your money with them. S-Pankki or under the pillow if you're in Finland and don't have loans to get zero charges (Nordea)

Last edited by iamife; Mar 4, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.