Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by cistavoda
No credit ratings in Finland. Only get marked on the naughty list if you don't pay.
OT
No credit rating in finland?

Then what do they check when you take a loan or renting apartment? Was always being told need to check my credit history so what do they actually check?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Clydez

Then what do they check when you take a loan or renting apartment? Was always being told need to check my credit history so what do they actually check?
Credit ratings often contain way more than your credit history. E.g. living in a poor area can already give you bad rating even if you paid all your debt in time.
cistavoda likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
OT

Banks etc. can have their own internal systems but there's no score system. I'm sure there is some kind of hidden system in use, however, by law there's the naughty list and you need to be something like 2 months behind payments to be put on it... And with taxable income being public information in Finland they can always check your income level. Someone else here probably knows better?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Credit ratings often contain way more than your credit history. E.g. living in a poor area can already give you bad rating even if you paid all your debt in time.
no idea what they check, since i never had problem with it.

But i take your answer as in finland as long as you paid all debts in time and you will have no problem?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
no idea what they check, since i never had problem with it.

But i take your answer as in finland as long as you paid all debts in time and you will have no problem?
generally YES, but there are exceptions as someone said banks have their own systems too. For example a customer can easily get 40000€ unsecured credit linffrom Nordea oror Handlesbanken but be denied for a 2000€ from Sampo bank or Danske or whatever its called these days. They do not lwt you know why they deny you so go figure. I prefer the US system where its quite clear.

I wish EU would open up the credit markets too, one should be free to bank where one wants to...
Clydez likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Typically the granting of loans and credit cards is based on the lenders' internal scoring system which takes into account the factors they ask about in the application (income, amount of existing loans/monthly payments related to those loans, whether you own or rent your home, marital status, age, duration and type of your employment contract, gender, postal code etc.) which is turned into a numeric score. If the score is above the specified threshold, you will get what you applied for and in case you are below, the application will be rejected or you may end up getting a lower credit limit.

The only external checks ordinarily performed are the negative payment remarks. In addition to that, there's also a positive credit register, which is a workaround to cover for the lack of a general and statutorily-backed-up credit rating system, which we frequently hear about in the public discussion.The use of the positive credit register is based on the customers' consent, allowing the lenders to a) check for their data from the register and b) to enter information about their loans into the register (more information in Finnish: https://www.asiakastieto.fi/web/fi/a...estelmaan.html).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by loimu
In addition to that, there's also a positive credit register, which is a workaround to cover for the lack of a general and statutorily-backed-up credit rating system, which we frequently hear about in the public discussion.The use of the positive credit register is based on the customers' consent, allowing the lenders to a) check for their data from the register and b) to enter information about their loans into the register (more information in Finnish: https://www.asiakastieto.fi/web/fi/a...estelmaan.html).
I GDPR'd all my data out from that. Let's see how it affects me in the future...
loimu and Clydez like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by cistavoda
I GDPR'd all my data out from that. Let's see how it affects me in the future...

Intresting 😂👍

Personally I have very little intrest in credit from Finnish banks anymore but I would be very intrested in cards from quite a few EU banks 😍
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I think you should buy Björn *) a drink if you meet him in the lounge. But didn't he leave the chair of Nordea recently? I am sure he is a very interesting person to chat to in the lounge anyhow.
He remains the chairman of the board until the annual general meeting on the 28th of March.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
generally YES, but there are exceptions as someone said banks have their own systems too. For example a customer can easily get 40000€ unsecured credit linffrom Nordea oror Handlesbanken but be denied for a 2000€ from Sampo bank or Danske or whatever its called these days. They do not lwt you know why they deny you so go figure. I prefer the US system where its quite clear.

I wish EU would open up the credit markets too, one should be free to bank where one wants to...
Couple of years ago, i applied a credit increase from Sampo/Dansk from 8k to 15k. They declined and gave me 10k instead.
The reason is that they see i have few tens thousands in the debit account and tell me use the debit.

I was speechless. thought credit card generate more revenue for them?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
That makes Finland one of the easiest countries to start over in. So i just take silja line across the pond, get settled and get creditcard without any trackrecord?

Must consider this if I default on my mortgace
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by intuition
That makes Finland one of the easiest countries to start over in. So i just take silja line across the pond, get settled and get creditcard without any trackrecord?
The expression "across the pond" usually refers to crossing the Atlantic, so your ferry would be pretty off its course.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
The expression "across the pond" usually refers to crossing the Atlantic, so your ferry would be pretty off its course.
Atlantic, Baltic, what's the difference? Only one letter... :P
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
In an anglo-american dichotomy it surely is, but there are more ways to slice the earth!

Anyway, Leif Eriksson took Silja westwards on the inaugural tour, came back after one hell of a boys-trip and told us there was nothing there worth the trip. After that we concentrated on the east sea pond.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Finnair , Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
Got a letter today.

Nordea is raising the earnings on their Finnair Plus branded MasterCard. From 15.2.2019 1€=2 points.
Thats good, I could get one after this DC goes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.