Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:10 am

Maybe we could see in the near future an AY+ Amex card replacing DCs, somewhat like the free SK EB Amex in Norway: fhttps://www.americanexpress.com/no/betalingskort/sas-classic/
Card gives 10 EB bonus points per (about) 10€, 30 points for every 10€ spent buying tickets on SK's website, and no yearly fee. I wonder if the points/€ value would be the same for AY+ but useless to speculate about it right now.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I really start wondering if we will see any replacement for DC. Not a lot of time left, and so far AY has only offered the MC. An Amex would certainly be great. The SK Amex cards seem really nice.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
What does the law say if the bill comes in on the 26th and the due date is the 21st?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
What does the law say if the bill comes in on the 26th and the due date is the 21st?
I had a case like this with Nordea after Stockmann transferred their cards to Nordea. Nordea wouldn’t budge, I had to pay extra fees and ended up cancelling the card because of their attitude. Haven’t missed them.

With Amex, this probably wouldn’t happen. Their CS is a lot better.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:09 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by niksal
I really start wondering if we will see any replacement for DC. Not a lot of time left, and so far AY has only offered the MC. An Amex would certainly be great. The SK Amex cards seem really nice.
DC.se has an offer for Eurocard. Maybe check Finnish pages if there is anything similiar.
https://dinersclub.se/privat/medlems...r-information/
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by intuition
DC.se has an offer for Eurocard. Maybe check Finnish pages if there is anything similiar.
https://dinersclub.se/privat/medlems...r-information/
Similar offer in Finland now but we can only get Gold, no Plat Eurocard: https://dinersclub.fi/yksityiset/ota...uvat-suomessa/
Same level discrepancy as with Amex Corp card, Sweden gets Amex Corp Gold, Finland only Amex Corp Green -- although there should be no difference between the two Amex Corp card.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by manywhere
Similar offer in Finland now but we can only get Gold, no Plat Eurocard: https://dinersclub.fi/yksityiset/ota...uvat-suomessa/
Same level discrepancy as with Amex Corp card, Sweden gets Amex Corp Gold, Finland only Amex Corp Green -- although there should be no difference between the two Amex Corp card.
Based on what I have heard, the Swedish Amex Corporate card also allows the cardholder to register for the Membership Rewards program. Not so in Finland.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Ah, now I understand what you meant. You were not just looking for a diners replacement, but a AY-branded diners replacement.
Yeah, don't think that is coming.
niksal likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I'm pretty sure there is something planned but might take some time before it hits the market. In the Finnair Customer Community they had quite many Credit card themed questionnaires somewhere around October last year. There were lot of questions how one would be ready to "spend" on yearly fee and what one expects for the return with quite interesting choices (and) levels of benefits. Hoping that it will be Amex based if coming.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Finnair , Marriot Gold
Sad to see DC go, its good 2 points for every euro spent
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Finnair , Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Mouke
Do you think Amex will leave Finland just like DC?
Yes eventually, the Finns need a card with credit Like Norwegian or something else where you can pay like 3% of your bill month.
Norwegian in its short life has gathered a huge customer base with base credit of atleast 3000 €. If you need a card just get one no details really checked as long as you are a resident
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by jakas
Yes eventually, the Finns need a card with credit Like Norwegian or something else where you can pay like 3% of your bill month.
Norwegian in its short life has gathered a huge customer base with base credit of atleast 3000 €. If you need a card just get one no details really checked as long as you are a resident
Isn't the feature of having the possibility to pay your credit card debt in 3-100% monthly instalments the normal mechanism for most credit cards, except Amex and the traditional (non-AY) DC? For example, all the remaining cards that give you AY points (SEB, Nordea, Danske Bank, Säästöpankki) have that possibility. So in that regard, the Norwegian credit card isn't an exception. Anyhow, I agree, they have done their marketing well and one does see the red card frequently used by shoppers. And I guess the combination of low/no fees, free ATM withdrawals, bonus points but high interest rate suits many people well (especially if one doesn't even realise that the interest rates are high, which probably often is the case). It's possible that their higher interest rate allows for a higher level of credit losses compared to traditional banks but I'm pretty sure they do have a proper mechanism for underwriting, meaning that they have a longer list of criteria an applicant must fulfil than only the short one they have on their homepage. I think it's more or less standard practice that you are not requested to provide e.g. proof of employment or income when applying for a credit card in Finland as most of those processes are fully automated.

I too am wondering what I should do after Diners will be gone. I really hope they would come up with a solution that would give you AY points as well as a Priority Pass style access to lounges.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by loimu

I too am wondering what I should do after Diners will be gone. I really hope they would come up with a solution that would give you AY points as well as a Priority Pass style access to lounges.
This last last part is spot on...

Though I dont care about the AY points as long as there are points at a reasonable yearly fee with somesort of Lounge access at more then 4 times a year

I dont mind a yearly fee but I DO mind 720€

The red card is my Travel card but thats it.... Great for cash abroad
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by jakas
What is the bonus with Norwegian credit card? I don't see why having a credit card at all if it does not share bonus points or something else in return. Just for paying later what you need to pay anyway, why not live with just a debit card then.

All my credit cards that I carry have bonus mechanisms. I got 6 and always a pain to think which one gives the most where
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum
You get Norwegian "FF miles" i.e. CashPoints with their credit card.

I feel you with the difficulties coming from different cards and programs! Just pushed myself past Stockmann First threshold (I really don't know why) with Stockmann MC usage, with a trade-off for missed AY miles. Luckily that status remains for a couple of years -who knows, perhaps even longer than the store itself- so don't need to worry about that again for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.