Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Jainzar
It was now raised from 170€ to 180€.

Very short sighted of them!

Is the Finnish AX the most expensive AX in the world? 😂😂😂

Come summer I will propably just continue with my SK MC/Diners combo as the benefits just are not that more appealing in the long run, perhaps once I travel less then it will become more important
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:00 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Experiences with my latest "stint" with AX Finland:
-took a lot of time and effort to get the 25k sign up MR reward posted, same with the comped fees
-Hertz match never worked, only available manually via the CDP code. However, this offers some savings (compared to AY Plat CDP) but most of my rentals are company travels so let's see how significant this will be in long run
-PP took a month to get sorted but value for me is close to zero as 99% has been/is OW anyway
-SPG match worked OK but little experience / need so far, hard to put any value yet
-HHonors match is a mess, online match failed 3 times and manual interaction seems to be a dead end too..

The Hertz plan is the best so far but, most likely, if nothing major comes up it seems there's no better combo for my use than AY DC+SEB MC.

AX has been very disappointing for years already, so totally agree with the overall tone in this thread.
FFlash likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
-PP took a month to get sorted but value for me is close to zero as 99% has been/is OW anyway
The time it takes currently is ridiculous. In 2016 it took around 2 weeks to get the card after I applied for it.
Nevertheless if you fly via ARN T5 I liked the Amex lounge by Pontus foodwise there.Nothing for everyday since they have a very small fixed menu (3 options from 10a.m.), but I was very positively surprised compared to the other lounges.
-SPG match worked OK but little experience / need so far, hard to put any value yet
-HHonors match is a mess, online match failed 3 times and manual interaction seems to be a dead end too.
I applied for all available hotel program status and I got all but Shangri-La's within of the promised 2 weeks. From what I can read on the net is that the latter will likely take 6-8 weeks.
Only HHonors mentioned that my status is tied to my Amex Plat status so let's see how the others manage it.

Last edited by Jainzar; Feb 18, 2018 at 8:58 am Reason: Fixed spelling
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Thumbs up

Experiences with my latest "stint" with AX Finland:
-took a lot of time and effort to get the 25k sign up MR reward posted, same with the comped fees
-Hertz match never worked, only available manually via the CDP code. However, this offers some savings (compared to AY Plat CDP) but most of my rentals are company travels so let's see how significant this will be in long run
-HHonors match is a mess, online match failed 3 times and manual interaction seems to be a dead end too..

The Hertz plan is the best so far but, most likely, if nothing major comes up it seems there's no better combo for my use than AY DC+SEB MC.

AX has been very disappointing for years already, so totally agree with the overall tone in this thread.
Thanks for posting these experiences
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Only HHonors mentioned that my status is tight to my Amex Plat status so let's see how the others manage it.
Mentioned how? Did they say it is tied to your validity of AX (checking how) or does Hilton ask to see your AX card`?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by FFlash
Mentioned how? Did they say it is tied to your validity of AX (checking how) or does Hilton ask to see your AX card`?
Well, the welcome email said
Originally Posted by Hilton
Congratulations! As an American Express Platinum Card® Member, you're entitled to Gold status. Your new status is effective as long as you are an eligible American Express Platinum Card Member.
Also Amex says that they notify the programs if you are not eligible anymore. What the programs do with this information is another story.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
The nice thing about the SPG match is the ability to get Marriott Gold by the matching the SPG Gold with the Marriott program. SPG Gold is underwhelming in my opinion, but the Marriott tier is much better.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by hrnt
The nice thing about the SPG match is the ability to get Marriott Gold by the matching the SPG Gold with the Marriott program. SPG Gold is underwhelming in my opinion, but the Marriott tier is much better.
The marriott tieup is good but SPG gold can be helpful too, I was treated better as SPG gold then as IHG or Club Carlson Gold all depends on The properties you go to and how many elites there are
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kauppias
The marriott tieup is good but SPG gold can be helpful too, I was treated better as SPG gold then as IHG or Club Carlson Gold all depends on The properties you go to and how many elites there are
These are very interesting comments. I am wondering if we can get more comments on the value of getting these hotel program statuses?
I am looking at getting AX plat, basically only for hotel and lounge perks, but the card is 600€ in sweden. A hilton gold does not seem very attractive (considering the number of posts I've read where Hilton diamonds complaining of watered down program).
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Hilton Gold is good - upgrades come and go, but lounge/breakfast is guaranteed. Don't mind the Diamond whiners, who complain that they didn't get the royal suite
SPG Gold is a bit meh, you might get upgrade, the late checkout is IIRC guaranteed
Marriott Gold again is good, louge/bf guaranteed.

Obviously the top tiers are better, at one time or another I have/had top tier at all major programs.

These are from my experiences in Europe and Asia, USA might be a different kettle of fish.

If you wouldn't make these mid-tiers otherwise, for 600€ these are good - if you stay at these chains anyway. And because the tiers are "given" you're not tied to any of the chains, but can pick and mix as best fits.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:34 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by intuition
These are very interesting comments. I am wondering if we can get more comments on the value of getting these hotel program statuses?
I am looking at getting AX plat, basically only for hotel and lounge perks, but the card is 600€ in sweden. A hilton gold does not seem very attractive (considering the number of posts I've read where Hilton diamonds complaining of watered down program).
Breakfast benefit is good, and many Asian Hiltons treat Golds very well. In the US, not so much.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Thanks all!
My situation is I have a great nordic program but need an international chain too. Mainly for Asia travel, and no NA-travel at all.

I could ask for Hilton challenge and they ought to give me diamond challenge, but it requires 8 stays in 3 months. That is 1000€ upfront, making the AX->HH gold actually cheaper!

Upgrades are nice, but these chains have such a standard that even cheapest rooms are usually OK. Guaranteed lounge and breakfast is appreciated though, so the Marriot way looks interesting.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
With hilton you can also get Gold challenge, that's 4 stays only (IIRC) in 90 days. It could be very cheap, too, but given Hilton's non-existing coverage of Scandinavia, not very easy (HEL is well served, but not cheap) If you're in the UK during the 90 days, they have quite a few of their cheaper brands over there.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:51 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
NB: HH Gold gives the lounge access only if upgraded to an exec room. Have to say that in my second home town London, even a non-plastic, stay-point-Diamond is rather vague in value. Except in those venues where I have more than 20 stays stayed. Managed also to snatch Nordic Choices Diamond in a status match lately against HH Diamond.

I find Melia Gold very useful. As well as Carlson Gold. Pity that they dropped Accor Plat.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
If you are willing to stay in a subpar, bigot chain - then sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.