Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
This is a very good question...the Finnish CC market, especially for us frequent flyers/mileage addicts, is extremely dull and limited..

For me AY DC is relatively good option now to top up my AY account as I do not credit many flights to AY Plus but still want points for upgrades...it is very much up to your personal preference which one of the poor options is the best.

For someone eating out a lot at own expense the DC restaurant vouchers seem to offer great value as well..I know some people who really value those but that's somewhat outside the traditional FT perspective..
+1 ^

Just for the sake of those restaurant vouchers, I currently hold both the AY DC and regular DC card... Only pay 20 € per year for them (as AY DC is free for Golds).
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by remymartin
On a similar note - at the meetup I was the only one who admitted to paying for the Plat card. How are you others circumventing the yearly fee?
Possibly cannot be done - at least when last year I talked to them, they were adamant about it. Waived the Gold fee, not budging on the Plat fee. Not worth it for me, offers very little over the (free) AX Gold
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kauppias
I might have to look into the diners club but we will see... SAS points hold little value for me these days as I fly other airlines
You can use them on the whole *G network and I like their no YQ redemptions.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Possibly cannot be done - at least when last year I talked to them, they were adamant about it. Waived the Gold fee, not budging on the Plat fee. Not worth it for me, offers very little over the (free) AX Gold
Well atleast you got free gold... Nothing free for me maybe I should ask for free green
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
You can use them on the whole *G network and I like their no YQ redemptions.
The NO YQ is only on SAS they collect high fees on alot... LH to USA was huge fees and they claimed little or no space on *A
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by kauppias
Well atleast you got free gold... Nothing free for me maybe I should ask for free green
Ask for free blue, and you will have a chance.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by tsastor
Ask for free blue, and you will have a chance.
blue is a very benefitial card if it came with MR I would go for it as the insurance etc is moot for me
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
+1 ^

Just for the sake of those restaurant vouchers, I currently hold both the AY DC and regular DC card... Only pay 20 € per year for them (as AY DC is free for Golds).
Hm, what are these well-kept secrets referred to as restaurant vouchers?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hm, what are these well-kept secrets referred to as restaurant vouchers?
Here:

http://www.dinersclub.fi/dof/clubrew...ubcategory=210
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
On a similar note - at the meetup I was the only one who admitted to paying for the Plat card. How are you others circumventing the yearly fee?

I haven't heard anybody getting their Amex Plat annual fee waived - outside the US. For me the benefits now just about justify the fee, but if my travel patterns would be more random I'd definitely get my moneys worth.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
And so it was my time when I was hit first time this "upgraded" yearly fee.... I was almost ready to "downgrade" to gold, but....:

I called to Amex just to see few things which I wasn't sure before:
Are CC Gold and Accor plat and other benefits permanent, ot just for the first year as it was with the HH gold earlier. So they are, as long as you keep the plat card.
At the same point I asked if there is anything to do whit the membership fee, and they said that only thing is to pay with the money, points or 50/50 points+money. The latter was new to mee!

Finally, she said that she has a 50€ voucher for me to Royal Ravintolat if keeping the card! That was nice, but not enough, so asked about a second voucher, which she had to check from her supervisor, and finally she granted me for that as well! So, 100€ for Royal Ravintolat is a nice gesture of goodwill and enough for me keeping the card one more year. ALso heard from my friend that he was given 80€ to Stockmann, if keeping the card. Any other stories?

However, probably changing the card to the one from Ålandsbanken, as they give their premium banking on top off the platinum amex.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good for you ^

They must be really desparate to keep Plat customers! It's very rare in Finland to throw in any kind of "keep the card" bonus.

The CC Gold and Accor Plat are useful benefits, but just for them I wouldn't pay the AX plat fee. Both are very easy to get (CC have a semi-public status match program, they even match SK Eurobonus Gold!) and Accor have regular "sign up to Plat" campaigns.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
It's interesting that these benefits are not advertised to existing customers - I still have no idea what the heck that 200€ travel credit thing is about and wasn't aware CCG is also available.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
It's interesting that these benefits are not advertised to existing customers - I still have no idea what the heck that 200€ travel credit thing is about and wasn't aware CCG is also available.
Did you know about this website www.americanexpress.fi/platinum ?
There you can find out all benefits, and even sign on to the different programs directly. Also under the Platinum events you can register for different events after they have been published.
In Finland the travel benefit is 100€ towards a hotel booking over 500€ booked through PTS.

Definitely the different hotel programs are not value for the 700€!! I appreciate the travel insurance for the whole family, and Priority Pass for 2 (+2) people.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.americanexpress.com/fi/f...ance,concierge

Accor® Hotels-, Starwood® Hotels- sekä Carlson® Hotels -hotelliketjujen kanta-asiakasohjelmat

Now we start talking Any idea what SPG level they offer?

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Feb 11, 2014 at 5:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.