Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

resentment against Finnair in India?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

resentment against Finnair in India?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Unhappy resentment against Finnair in India?

Please see below report extract from the Iimes of India It is causing some resentment against Finnair. Lots of people have Schengen visas on older passports (including myself) but we never faced any problems to date in France Germany Sweden Spain... Finland is entitled to its exceptionalism, but this pedantic (in my view) attitude causes pointless negative views about Finnair?

Posted here for your information and also responses/opinions. No acrimony intended.

Passport? Failport!Jug Suraiya
21 June 2011, 09:19 PM IST

When is a passport not a pass-port but a fail-port? When it's an Indian passport. Bunny and i discovered this when we recently tried to make a trip to Finland, which is aggressively marketing itself in India as a tourist destination. About to board the Finnair flight from Heathrow, London, to Helsinki, Bunny was stopped by an airline supervisor who said that Bunny's paperwork was not in order; she couldn't get on the plane. The passport was valid; the Schengen visa was valid. The problem? The visa, though valid, was not on the new passport but on the old passport, stapled onto the new one. Finnish immigration insisted that the visa must be on the passport in current use.

We protested that the US and the UK do not insist on this. Nor do other Schengen countries. Often passports have to be supplemented by new booklets as pages run out in the old one. The supervisor was adamant. Finland did not accept visas unless they were on the same passport booklet. In which case, as Finland was the exception to the Schengen rule, was it not the responsibility of Finnair, the national carrier, to inform passengers at the time of ticket sale?

But there were no arguments to be made. Bunny couldn't enter Finland, despite the fact that we had a return flight and prepaid hotel bookings in that country, all non-refundable. What was worse than the financial loss was the humiliation. Not a personal humiliation, but the humiliation of being an Indian citizen, holding an Indian passport. Because the real problem was Bunny's Indian passport, which immediately made her suspect as a potential illegal immigrant.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by rathin100
Please see below report extract from the Iimes of India It is causing some resentment against Finnair. Lots of people have Schengen visas on older passports (including myself) but we never faced any problems to date in France Germany Sweden Spain... Finland is entitled to its exceptionalism, but this pedantic (in my view) attitude causes pointless negative views about Finnair?

Posted here for your information and also responses/opinions. No acrimony intended.

When is a passport not a pass-port but a fail-port? When it's an Indian passport. Bunny and i discovered this when we recently tried to make a trip to Finland, which is aggressively marketing itself in India as a tourist destination. About to board the Finnair flight from Heathrow, London, to Helsinki, Bunny was stopped by an airline supervisor who said that Bunny's paperwork was not in order; she couldn't get on the plane. The passport was valid; the Schengen visa was valid. The problem? The visa, though valid, was not on the new passport but on the old passport, stapled onto the new one. Finnish immigration insisted that the visa must be on the passport in current use.

We protested that the US and the UK do not insist on this. Nor do other Schengen countries. Often passports have to be supplemented by new booklets as pages run out in the old one. The supervisor was adamant. Finland did not accept visas unless they were on the same passport booklet. In which case, as Finland was the exception to the Schengen rule, was it not the responsibility of Finnair, the national carrier, to inform passengers at the time of ticket sale?

But there were no arguments to be made. Bunny couldn't enter Finland, despite the fact that we had a return flight and prepaid hotel bookings in that country, all non-refundable. What was worse than the financial loss was the humiliation. Not a personal humiliation, but the humiliation of being an Indian citizen, holding an Indian passport. Because the real problem was Bunny's Indian passport, which immediately made her suspect as a potential illegal immigrant.
Hmm wait. She had an old passport that was no longer valid, but a valid visa there, and a new passport without a visa?
Then she was traveling without a valid schengen visa.

If she had 2 valid passports with other carrying the schengen visa, then the airline supervisor made a mistake, immigration would've let him in no problem. Many people carry multiple passports.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by dera
Hmm wait. She had an old passport that was no longer valid, but a valid visa there, and a new passport without a visa?
Then she was traveling without a valid schengen visa.

If she had 2 valid passports with other carrying the schengen visa, then the airline supervisor made a mistake, immigration would've let him in no problem. Many people carry multiple passports.
No shewas the first case you write, above.

The interesting thing is that the Finnish embassy in new delhi has now issued a clarification (after all the fuss and resentment) saying that vaklid visas on expired passports will now be accepted as long as the pax is in possession of a valid passport and is carrying the expired passport with a valid visa! This has always been the case with other Schengen countries AFAIK (Ive used mine to enter Germany only last month)

I
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:39 pm

No shewas the first case you write, above.

The interesting thing is that the Finnish embassy in new delhi has now issued a clarification (after all the fuss and resentment) saying that vaklid visas on expired passports will now be accepted as long as the pax is in possession of a valid passport and is carrying the expired passport with a valid visa! This has always been the case with other Schengen countries AFAIK (Ive used mine to enter Germany only last month)

I
Ok, I have a Finnish passport so I'm not 100% sure, but I was under the impression that your visa can only be valid for as long as your passport is?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I have a Finnish passport so I'm not 100% sure, but I was under the impression that your visa can only be valid for as long as your passport is?
I think if you have a long term visa and you carry your passorts in conjunction its Ok for most countries. ANd I know its OK for USA and UK and recently Germany. I guess thats why the resentment is there in india, because people are used to travelling with long term visas on old passports..
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:50 pm

I think if you have a long term visa and you carry your passorts in conjunction its Ok for most countries. ANd I know its OK for USA and UK and recently Germany. I guess thats why the resentment is there in india, because people are used to travelling with long term visas on old passports..
Can you really get an US visa thats valid for longer than what your passport is valid?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:10 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Can you really get an US visa thats valid for longer than what your passport is valid?
Apparently you can.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/questio...ns_1253.html#7

But for us Visa Waivers, ESTA is valid only as long as the passport is. I detect unfair treatment.

I understand OP's resentment towards the Finnish authorities' interpretation of Schengen rules, which apparently were in error, as evidenced by the Embassy's "clarification", but how exactly is this Finnair's fault?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:47 pm

Once a passport expires and a new passport from the same country is received. The old passport is invalid. ALL visas or other stamps that are still valid must be transferred by the individual to the new passport. This is the passenger's responsibility. Immigration matter pre-flight and not an issue AY can fix at check-in. You should have gone to the proper authority and had the visa transferred and get rid of your clipped original passport.

Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Yes in fact they are issued for ten years irrespective of validity of passport
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPBanker
Apparently you can.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/questio...ns_1253.html#7

But for us Visa Waivers, ESTA is valid only as long as the passport is. I detect unfair treatment.

I understand OP's resentment towards the Finnish authorities' interpretation of Schengen rules, which apparently were in error, as evidenced by the Embassy's "clarification", but how exactly is this Finnair's fault?
Not my resentment, I'm just reporting....
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
From my recent experience, India itself charges a fee to transfer an Indian Visa from an old passport to a new one. So I assume they require the same the Indians are criticizing the Finns for
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelblond
Once a passport expires and a new passport from the same country is received. The old passport is invalid. ALL visas or other stamps that are still valid must be transferred by the individual to the new passport. This is the passenger's responsibility. Immigration matter pre-flight and not an issue AY can fix at check-in. You should have gone to the proper authority and had the visa transferred and get rid of your clipped original passport.
From the other posts here I assume you realize, as the Finnish embassy has belatedly done, that what you assert is not a universal global truth but a Finland specific one. And for that reason I'd be careful not to tell people what they should have done with their expired passports it's sort of thing that hardly makes global friends...

I don't know if you are speaking for AY or as an AY FTer in any capacity? It sounds like you are to me but I'm probably mistaken?

Last edited by rathin100; Aug 26, 2011 at 8:27 pm
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
From my recent experience, India itself charges a fee to transfer an Indian Visa from an old passport to a new one. So I assume they require the same the Indians are criticizing the Finns for
Interesting point..... I'll check with India and get back on whether this is compulsory......
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: AY Emerald
Very few countries allow you to have 2 valid passports. Finland does. When my visas, that often are issued max for 1 year, often only for few months or even days, depending on the country, are expired, there is no way to transfer visas to an other passport. Tuff luck.
The fact is that a lot of people try to enter to schengen area from India with fake papers. Finland has always wanted to obey rules and regulations, therefore they check paper validity carefully. It is travellers responsibility to check what papers are needed, not assuming but checking, before departure.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: AY Gold
It seems there have been some issues with pax from DEL. The Helsinki Times in June:

"Finland is introducing new measures to combat illegal immigration and human trafficking from India. In July, the Finnish embassy in New Delhi will get a new staff member who will verify the authenticity of documents submitted by visa and residence permit applicants.

Illegal immigration from India to Finland is on the rise, and sometimes Finland is used as an entry point to Europe as a whole."

http://www.helsinkitimes.fi/htimes/f...rom-india.html

Last edited by Andaman; Aug 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.